PDA

View Full Version : Novel Approach to Calculate Powder Load with changing OAL/Seat Depth

YogiSC
03-26-2019, 06:12 PM
Novel Approach to Seating Depth (OAL), Pressure, and Lowering Charges

(DISCLAIMER: Just a suggested approach. Use at your own risk.)

As I get into boolit casting for 9mm, I see a lot of discussion of OAL changes worrying people about over-pressuring their pistols. I also wanted to try to insure my own safety as I make significant OAL changes (from published load data) in order to chamber my boolit rounds. I do have a chrono but still like a good feel for starting point on a charge where I’m making 0.05” or more OAL changes..

So one way to approach this is mathematically. Using Hodgdon’s website we can get start and max loads at certain OALs with CUP pressures for each load (the Lyman cast bullet handbook provides this as well). We know as OAL goes down, seating depth (SD) goes up, and pressure goes up LINEARLY (Google “Ramshot ZIP oal pressure chart”). We know as the charge of certain powder (CHG) goes up, max pressure goes up pretty linearly.

Using the data from Start and Max Loads, we can create equations that helps us stay safe and choose good starting points for changing OAL charges.

The equation can be [(SD) * (CHG) * (Xfactor) ] = Pressure … OR … [ (CHG)*(Xfactor) / (OAL) ] = Pressure. Xfactor is calculated from the published data.

Personal Example: Hodgdon TITEGroup data lists a 115 Gr LRN at COL 1.10” with start 3.9 gr – 25800 CUP AND max 4.3 gr – 30,500.

To find this “Xfactor” = 25800*1.1” / (3.9gr) and 30500*1.1” / (4.3)…giving 7276 and 7802 respectively. If you wish to be very safe use the 7802 as the Xfactor. Can probably use the average of the 2 as well.

So now let’s say I must lower OAL to 1.04” to chamber the round, what would be a good starting charge? We can pick a “midway pressure” (27500) for our equation.

(CHG) * (7802) / (1.04) = 27500… 27500*1.04 then divided by 7802 = 3.66 grains. Using the start load pressure (25800) give 3.44 grains. So you will likely be safe from 3.4 – 3.6 as a start load with the 1.04 OAL..and still be within published pressures.. Obviously, always chrono if you can..
This came in helpful when I started loading Lee 358-125-RF for 9mm.. Really no load data for 9mm with this boolit, but I used some seat depths for published loads in Lyman CB handbook for similar and worked the equation - shot where I expected FPS wise.

Hick
03-26-2019, 08:38 PM
Those not used to using Algebra (or something similar) may object-- but I agree with you. I too use equations derived from published data, with appropriate assumptions about linearity. This is reasonable as long as we recognize there is a potential error band, and that error band can start to be very important close to max loads. There is a lot of data (GMDR resources, for example) that shows that there is a considerable degree of linearity in both pressure and velocity versus charge. Equations are why systems such as Quickload work.

mdi
03-26-2019, 08:46 PM
One quick way to get into trouble is extrapolating load data and developing one's own formula without a good ballistics laboratory to physically check/make conclusions...

JSnover
03-26-2019, 09:48 PM
One quick way to get into trouble is extrapolating load data and developing one's own formula without a good ballistics laboratory to physically check/make conclusions...

Yep. I have a rifle with lot of freebore and would dearly love to find out what it can do if I seat the bullets waaaaay out there. But I want to keep it and all of my extremities.

Wayne Smith
03-27-2019, 07:43 AM
The problem with the assumption of linear pressure movement is you don't know when it no longer applies! For several powders their high pressure profile is significantly different than their lower pressure profile. The ***** is knowing where that transition occurs in your load.

YogiSC
03-27-2019, 10:13 AM
All true, I couple using this equation with some general limits - no bullet should seat greater than 0.3" in 9mm, for instance. I saw some advice out there on lowering charges when lowering OAL that seemed wrong (lower by 0.1 gr for every 0.05" for example - should probably be 1.0 gr for every 0.05" lower OAL).. Just looking for some method more than "start low" - i needed to figure "How low is good start point". Nothing replaces starting low, working up and using a chrony..