PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 311041/Winchester 94 problem...

j23
03-26-2019, 12:57 PM
I recently picked up a new (to me) 94 Canadian Centennial. I bought it because I wanted a 94 with the 26" Octagon barrel, and it was a steal.

Currently, I have several boxes of 30-30's loaded for my other two Winchester 94's (70's vintage 20" carbines) consisting of 30-30 brass (trimmed to I believe 2.025"?) with a Lyman 311041, sized to .309" cast from W/W lead. The bullets are roll crimped into the crimping groove. The load functions and shoots great from the two 70's vintage 94 carbines. My buddy uses the same load in his dad's vintage Marlin 336, no issues.

Last night, I tried to feed several through the gun and noted two problems.

1) They seem to be just a hair too long, as they stick coming up from the magazine.

2) More importantly, the bullet is jamming into the lands when I chamber it, and I'm not talking about feint land marks in the bullet. They are heavily engraved, so much so that I have to squeeze the lever to get them to chamber the final 1/8".

I cast for several rifles in varying chamberings, all with cast bullets. When seated into the crimping groove, I have never seen the appropriate bullet for the cartridge end up too long like that.

I guess my question is, should I try a different mold?? Maybe something along the lines of a 150 grain? Or may something be amiss with the rifle? I.E. chamber cut too shallow? I don't have any factory rounds or j-word bullets to load up and try.

Has anyone run into this before with 94's in general, or the Canadian version specifically?

Bazoo
03-26-2019, 03:36 PM
I have a 1970 vintage 94 that works fine with the 31141 seated in the crimp groove, trimmed 2.028. The RCBS 30-180-fn and the 311291 both jam in the lands in my rifle.

I have a few samples of the NOE version of the 311-041 and the nose is shorter and with a different ogive. If you want to test it for function I will send you a couple samples. I don't have the mould or I'd offer enough for accuracy testing. I have the lee 309-150-rf mould. I can send you some of those for testing if you like. It has a shorter nose.

Your cycling problem is a gun problem. Anything less than 2.550 should cycle through the action. I'd venture the magazine spring is weak and or the follower is binding and not pushing the cartridges out of the tube quite enough. Or maybe the nose of the cartridge is snagging on the bottom of the barrel that protrudes into the action. If it's not rounded it will cause problems. Test by pointing the rifle near straight up and cycle it. With the cartridges held to the rear of the action they won't snag there. Or, maybe the carrier spring is bent or loose or broken and not bringing the carrier up where it's supposed to be. You can check the lifter spring by removing the loading gate, you should be able to wiggle it out of the opening without disassembling the action. Then you can access the carrier spring screw.

popper
03-26-2019, 08:02 PM
Nose is too fat for your bore - seat deeper or different mould.I have to watch OAL on my marlin - nose can hit the frame.