PDA

View Full Version : 7mm STW from What and how?

dh2
03-23-2019, 04:49 PM
I am starting to play was this 7mm STW project now trying to get every thing . For brass so far I have a box of Nosler loaded ammo (@ $3.00 a shot) coming to test the build and a box of Hornady brass to get me started , But can it be formed from some thing else, easy to get and easy to form?

M-Tecs
03-23-2019, 04:52 PM
8mm Remington magnum case necked down to 7mm is what the STW is based on. 300 Weatherby and 300 H&H brass will work but I believe both require fireforming to be complete.

pjames32
03-23-2019, 04:57 PM
Easy to form...……..Yes! Easy to get...……….NO. It is formed from 8mm Remington mag brass. Usually on back order from all sources. Last I saw was $1 per case.
I'd just buy 7STW brass.
FWIW All of my brass was formed from 8mm Rem.Mag brass from way back when the round was first developed. I built my loads around that brass and suspect if I were to use factory 7STW brass I would need to start over with loads. This round likes lots of powder. Near max loads for the best accuracy.

stubshaft
03-23-2019, 05:08 PM
The 8mm Remington was based on a 375 H&H case necked down. You would have to neck down, fireform and possibly turn the necks.

Budzilla 19
03-23-2019, 05:44 PM
I’ve had two of these rifles. The second one is a Winchester Classic sporter. Both of them are absolute bolts of blue lightning!!! Nosier 140 Ballistic Tips @3350 are just deadly, both in the accuracy department and the lethality department! Reformed cases and factory brass both performed excellent! Factory brass is available. But I have many 8 mm Remington magnum brass that are reformed to 7STW, no problems.

lightman
03-25-2019, 08:38 AM
It can be formed from a few different things. But those cases are nearly as expensive as 7 STW brass. The 7 STW is usually a cartridge that one does not shoot a lot of so I'd probably just buy a hundred STW cases and call it good. I know that sometimes a reloader just wants to form cases just to see if they can. If this is the case, go for it.

osteodoc08
03-25-2019, 01:43 PM
Hornady has new brass for sale currently as well as Nosler.

ackleyman
05-20-2019, 10:40 AM
I have been shooting the 7 Stw since the late 80's. Winchester made some really great brass for this cartridge, but it is long gone.

We started by forming Remington 8 Rem mag cases, as there was nothing else. 120's at 3800 shoot 3/8" groups and smaller with R#22 and 215's. We killed a LOT of deer with this load. The old solid base Nosler was our go to bullet. With regular remington brass, at the pressure node with the 140's around 3550, we were loosing primer pockets.

Hornady started making the brass recently, buy 300 cases if you can, fickle bean counters at companies can cut off the supply at any time.

If you have a set of Paul Bike form dies, you can make cases from the 300 H&H but neck turning may be involved.