PDA

View Full Version : I am addicted.....

dverna
03-20-2019, 10:34 AM
All my life I have been addicted to guns and reloading stuff.

When I was young and poor, I could not afford too feed my habit.

About 25 years ago, things changed. I became a junkie. I bought many guns...way too many...so many that some never got used. I have sold at least 15 but still have guns I have never fired. I have owned ten progressive presses.

Last year I bought four more guns but two were gifts. At least I shot the two I bought for myself...I am getting better...but I also bought a second 1050 that I do not need....hard to shake the addiction.

I have decided that no matter what I want, I will wait at least 6 months before buying anything else. And I will sell something first. I currently have a 550, 1050, and a dozen rifles I do not need.

I am so weak that I doubt I will be completely successful. Guns are my addiction. My fiancé likes guns too!!! I have a rough road ahead.

Der Gebirgsjager
03-20-2019, 10:42 AM
Hello, my name is _________ , and I'm a gunaholic. :smile:

Bet you've got lots of company here.

alamogunr
03-20-2019, 11:00 AM
Except for a slightly shorter time frame(20 yrs) and fewer presses, my experience is about the same. When our sons got out of graduate school, I started back into guns. I guess the big difference is that I haven't sold any. Just acquired.

1989toddm
03-20-2019, 11:00 AM
Is it a coincidence that while halfway through reading your post, the daily verse popped on my phone and it was this?? [emoji23]
“Therefore, confess your sins to one another [your false steps, your offenses], and pray for one another, that you may be healed and restored."

daloper
03-20-2019, 11:14 AM
My wife tells me that I am walking the fine line between Hobby and Addiction. I tell her I am not that bad but then a box will show up from Titan, MidwayUSA or Graf and Sons. No problem here.

bedbugbilly
03-20-2019, 11:22 AM
The older we get, the more we seem to reflect on such things - at least most of us do. You aren't alone! LOL That's why I am weeding out and down sizing slowly - I don't want my "addiction" to be a burden on my wife when it's my time to "cross the river".

I think that maybe todd has something there . . . . maybe a "sign"? :-) Thanks for sharing that Todd - makes a person think doesn't it? :-)

Sig556r
03-20-2019, 11:24 AM
Hi my name is Sig, gunaholic...

RED BEAR
03-20-2019, 11:29 AM
I hate to admit it but i have guns that have been in the safe for 30 years that has never been shot not just by me but never. Its not that this was by design i started sporterizing a 6.5 Swedish back in the 80's was almost done in late 90's had some health problems and had to put it aside for a good while. Finally finished it last year and started looking for a used mold on ebay everything i found was so close to the price of a new one it didn't make since. I finally bit the bullet and bought a lyman mold and cast my first bullets last week . I have been getting everything together and finally there now i have about 3 or 4 days worth of sizeing of 32 bullets and i willswitch over and size these hopefully will be out on the range in a week or so finally.

Hawks Feather
03-20-2019, 11:31 AM
I can totally relate.

Cast_outlaw
03-20-2019, 11:31 AM
https://youtu.be/KPgAEi1E6Eo First min is priceless
https://youtu.be/KzgiZpCIj1c Part two priceless to

fatboy
03-20-2019, 11:45 AM
well shoot i feel pretty good reading your post, im not an addict. i only have two progressives and 14 single stage press's. several guns i havent shot and i havent sold very many over the years. Hey wait it sounds like i am AM an addict. Oh i can stop anytime i want to, i just dont want to...

blackthorn
03-20-2019, 11:50 AM
NEED --- has nothing to do with it! It is simply a highly selective form of OCD. Sometimes I just sit in my reloading shed, amongst all my treasures and think about getting rid of some of them, but then I think --- "oh well when I go, if this stuff aggravates someone, so what? It aint like they can get at me or make my life miserable! Nothing wrong with me!

fast ronnie
03-20-2019, 11:52 AM
Those ARE funny.

03-20-2019, 12:00 PM
You are not alone, brother. I want to sell some of my "treasures" to make room for future treasures.

trails4u
03-20-2019, 12:02 PM
When my wife wants go get on me a bit....I'm quick to remind her that things aren't so bad. After all....it could have been heroin and hookers, right?

avogunner
03-20-2019, 12:52 PM
Kindred spirit.....

Chainsaw.
03-20-2019, 01:00 PM
Same here. I’ll be done once I get that one last gun, or peice of reloading gear.....just one moooore,,,,,almost there..

Froogal
03-20-2019, 01:41 PM
No such thing as too many guns. You just need more places to safely store them.

Texas by God
03-20-2019, 01:44 PM
I have to shoot gun(s) and reload ammo every few days or I start jonesing BAD. Tobacco and alcohol were easy to quit! I won't own one too nice to shoot. I've even laid a flashlight on the ground shining on the target so I could shoot at night. Problem? Not me![emoji16]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Arkansas Paul
03-20-2019, 02:29 PM
Don't expect any support here.
We're a bunch of enablers.

osteodoc08
03-20-2019, 04:12 PM
I’m right there with you. We can get through this together.......

I echo the sentiment of buying things and not shooting them. Or rarely shooting them. Over the next few months I’ll probably be selling off some to a new home where they can be loved and appreciated more.

CBH
03-20-2019, 04:34 PM
I buy reloading components for guns I may never own. Sickness🤪

dverna
03-20-2019, 04:43 PM
I forgot to mention in my first post that at one time I had three Krieghoff Trap guns. Bought them all used but still had over $25k into them...and just to shoot silly clay birds. Could not hunt with them as all were release triggers. That is just NUTS!!!!! WTH was I thinking? I sold one four years ago, and last year put another on consignment. Not sure I should keep the last one but hard to let it go. I shot a 200 straight with it at the State Shoot in 2012.

I have a few guns like that. Guns with a history and part of my life memories. Good times with good friends and/or won a few trinkets with. I sold a couple and now have regrets. The one that hurts the most is the first and only gun my mom bought me. A Vostock IJ-1 free pistol. Here is a picture of one as I doubt many made it here to the USA.

poppy42
03-20-2019, 04:44 PM
All my life I have been addicted to guns and reloading stuff.

When I was young and poor, I could not afford too feed my habit.

About 25 years ago, things changed. I became a junkie. I bought many guns...way too many...so many that some never got used. I have sold at least 15 but still have guns I have never fired. I have owned ten progressive presses.

Last year I bought four more guns but two were gifts. At least I shot the two I bought for myself...I am getting better...but I also bought a second 1050 that I do not need....hard to shake the addiction.

I have decided that no matter what I want, I will wait at least 6 months before buying anything else. And I will sell something first. I currently have a 550, 1050, and a dozen rifles I do not need.

I am so weak that I doubt I will be completely successful. Guns are my addiction. My fiancé likes guns too!!! I have a rough road ahead.

Poor deverna,

I truly feel for you! If it will help with your addiction! Just send me those evil guns and reloading equipment. I promise to keep them from you there by removing the temptation from you! Glad I could help:bigsmyl2:

sailcaptain
03-20-2019, 04:48 PM
Years ago, 20 about, I started to loose my shooting and hunting partners to various illnesses. Until it was just me.
I found it very hard to find new people to fill all those very capable and trusted shoes. Especially in the hunting realms. When it's you and another in the field you have to know what their moves would be, always.
As a result, guns went into storage and left unused for almost as many years. But the buying and investing in others never stopped. Reloading filled a gap for me.
Once in your blood, this "hobby" we all have, never leaves. That's one of the great things about it. Shooting can be carried on into our later years, even given physical limitations. You just have to adapt.

I'm getting back into all the things I love about the sport now. Dusting off the cobwebs and enjoying the moments again.
So carry on, that's my advice.

AnthonyB
03-20-2019, 04:52 PM
I only need one more....
I won’t list the new guns I have that have not been fired. Not even mention the new to me list.....

AnthonyB
03-20-2019, 04:54 PM
But my real problem is moulds I have not yet cast with. That list would trigger an intervention.

osteodoc08
03-20-2019, 04:57 PM
Gotta keep the one Krieghiff dverna. Good memories.

gbrown
03-20-2019, 05:07 PM
I started reloading and casting at about age 15. A friend and I got into it for an alternative to expensive ammunition for rifles and shotguns--about $2.00 a box for shotgun shells and 3 or 4 for rifle shells. Did it for about 10-15 years and then family and work got in the way. Got rid of all my stuff. Then, back in the 90's, I fell off the wagon.[smilie=b:[smilie=b: Only press I saved from the old days was a C-H 206 I got on a clearance table for 19.95 in 1966. Found out that C-H had some new, old stock plates not long ago, had to get one. I have cast with all my molds, just some not in a good number of years. Presses I bought and never set up. Guns I bought, shot once or twice, haven't touched them since cleaning. Do I have a problem? No, but someone will have one getting rid of all this stuff. Hee-Hee-Hee!!

alamogunr
03-20-2019, 06:18 PM
But my real problem is moulds I have not yet cast with. That list would trigger an intervention.

Darn! I was hoping no one would bring up moulds(molds?). I've tried to ignore those shiny new ones that I thought I just had to have.

JBinMN
03-20-2019, 07:44 PM
In reading these posts, I simply just don't see any problem here yet...
;)

Maybe, I am just "in denial" about such things....
;)

Just :kidding:

LOL

Realistically, I have a lot of things that some might say are an addiction...

Hunting & fishing gear/clothing, tools, camping stuff, jig & fly making items, books, etc.. Too many to list. I have liked doing a lot of things over the years, owning what it took to do such things, & I see no problem with that.

My missus calls me a "hoarder" because of all the stuff I have. I tell her some is used very year, some is not, but is there if I want/need it, everything is bought & paid for with no hardship for any others in obtaining the stuff, & it will all go to the sons/grandsons/friends, etc. when I am no longer able to use any of it. Or, they can sell it or give it away.
{Although I do not intend to take any of it with me. ;) }
Where I will be, I will not care any more. Until then, it all stays until "I" want it gone.
;)

Anyway, folks did not call Tutankhamen & other such folks, "hoarders " for having a lot of things they liked and enjoyed doing. So, I don't see myself as a "hoarder" at all.

IMO, there is nothing wrong with being enthusiastic about something, as long as it does not cause issues for someone or anyone else. No harm, No foul, No problem...
:)

BTW, just to mention... I can certainly relate to any "regrets" about selling off or giving away/letting go some of my "memorabilia" & some "investment" items over the years.

Wolfer
03-20-2019, 07:57 PM
While I can relate to many of the conditions listed above I don’t consider myself a gunaholic. They would have to attend real meetings. I only go to places like this.
I’m just an avid hunter, tinkerer, shooter type that doesn’t have enough space for all his stuff.

RED BEAR
03-20-2019, 08:18 PM
I have been known to pick up range brass when i get enough of a caliber i start looking for a gun to match.

fast ronnie
03-20-2019, 10:25 PM
I sold my Kentucky flinter more than 40 years ago and I still miss it. May be that I need to build another one. Just one???? Please?????

richhodg66
03-20-2019, 10:43 PM
I don't feel so bad after reading all these.

The way I see it, they aren't eating anything but space, sooner or later, I'll get to them, or I won't. They aren't likely to lose value.

Some I shoot quite a bit. Some not so much I do have a lot of reloading stuff, but still do 90% of the work on an old Rock Chucker I started with. I do need to pare down the mold collection, though.

samari46
03-20-2019, 11:09 PM
Been messing around with guns, reloading stuff and cast bullets since I got out of the navy in '67 and haven't stopped yet (now 72) so you got a long road ahead of you. And welcome to the club and as one member posted "don't expect any sympathy from us, and a great bunch of enablers" Sure wish we had a like button on that post. I have dies and ammo for guns I don't even have. Frank

Wag
03-21-2019, 12:11 PM
I can relate. I'm not wealthy, though, so it limits my ability to buy all the guns I really want.

A few years ago, a neighbor gave me a set of dies for .40 S&W. Of course, I started looking for a pistol in that caliber and now have two, actually. And still haven't used the dies! They're there waiting for me, though.

I do have a need for a second safe, though........

--Wag--

JoeJames
03-21-2019, 02:00 PM
I saw an article by Frank James in Shotgun News about the new Lipsey Ruger SA in 44 Special. Now I have two Ruger 44 Specials (a SA and a GP100) and a Rossi R92 in 44 Magnum.

dverna
03-21-2019, 02:03 PM
I can relate. I'm not wealthy, though, so it limits my ability to buy all the guns I really want.

A few years ago, a neighbor gave me a set of dies for .40 S&W. Of course, I started looking for a pistol in that caliber and now have two, actually. And still haven't used the dies! They're there waiting for me, though.

I do have a need for a second safe, though........

--Wag--

When I took out insurance for my guns, I was asked if I had a safe. I asked them if they had reviewed my application, and the items listed. I then asked them if they knew of any safe that could hold that. Told them my two safes were full and I was not buying more safes. It did not end there...

They asked. "Surely you keep those expensive K-80's in the safe?" To which I replied, "Hell no!!! I shoot trap 2-3 times a week and take two of them to every competition. Just a pain in the butt to be doing that." Silence>>>>>

Then I said, "But I do have ADT and a Chow Chow that does not like strangers"

Insurance approved!!!

Shawlerbrook
03-21-2019, 02:03 PM
We are all afflicted!

Pete44mag
03-21-2019, 04:47 PM
I got that addiction years ago. I don't go to the LGS anymore because every time I do a new gun follows me home! I reformed in that I only look at guns, reloading equipment and gear online. Now my habit has become so bad that I see something I like on the computer and it magically arrives a couple days later in the Brown Truck. Another problem I've found, no matter how many guns I have, my favorite one, the one I love the most is the one I have in my hands!!! My wife said I have a problem. I'm learning to cast boolits, I reload the boolits, I go to the range and shoot many many boolits, I come home and make more boolits, no problem that I can see! I really don't want to cure my problem, then I would sit home watch the news on TV and get PO'ed at the gun grabbing libtards. I think my wife has a problem and that's me. I think I've finally found a place and a bunch of great people who understand and I can share my problems with!!!

Walkingwolf
03-21-2019, 05:26 PM
Willing to help any gun addict, simply send your guns to me, and your addiction will be cured.

MrWolf
03-21-2019, 06:12 PM
I sold my Kentucky flinter more than 40 years ago and I still miss it. May be that I need to build another one. Just one???? Please?????

A bunch of years back there was an auction here for some flints to help a member out. I have never even shot BP but won the auction anyway. Couple of months ago I bought a flinter off of another member here because I've had those flints for a few years. Makes perfect sense to me. Plus buying a gun because I have the brass and getting moulds because I plan on shooting one someday. See. A purely rationale and realistic approach....

justashooter
03-21-2019, 08:05 PM
first. I currently have a 550, 1050, and a dozen rifles I do not need.

you're a lightweight. i've had couple hundred i didn't need from time to time.

Hossfly
03-21-2019, 08:33 PM
I’m not a hoarder, I’m a historian, I do have a mold that I don’t have a rifle for (yet) and 3 old Jeeps in the shop somewhere, but I will, one day get around to them also. Love guns and have since I was 3-4 yo. Not addicted just trying to preserve history, not my fault, just born this way.

WehrmannsGeweher
03-22-2019, 12:10 AM
I once asked a life long friend who has a muti million $ gun collection: "what will happen to all this when you die ?" His answer" "It won't be my problem."

The perfect reason to buy more !

majik
03-22-2019, 05:09 AM
35 years ago, I had a dozen guns. I decided that I could either be a collector or a shooter, but I couldn't be really skilled unless I stopped all the trading/buying and focused on casting/shooting. Prior to that, I averaged a new gun per month for 10 years and averaged losing $200 per gun when I sold or traded it, too (in today's money) on the first 50 or so. Then I had started smithing them myself and put a stop to the taking a loss **. Now it's just the 2 pocket guns Sig P938 (22lr and 9mm) the alloy commander 1911 9mm and its .22 unit, the AR and its 22 unit. If I can't get it done with those, I dont care about it. I gave up on non autos and shotguns 40 years ago.

izzyjoe
03-22-2019, 10:02 PM
I've slowed down on buying guns, and stepped up buying ammo, and reloading components. I have a soft spot for older pump shotguns, but like a friend used to say, a shotgun is shotgun, they all do the same thing unless you are competing! But I still love my wingmasters, maybe need one more!

JoeJames
03-25-2019, 09:27 AM
Might be I do have a problem. Went to a gun show about 100 miles from home. Feller that takes up the tickets greeted my most effusively and wanted to talk awhile, and about 1/4 of all the folks with tables just wanted to visit a spell. Spent most of the afternoon just wandering from table to table catching up. Felt like Norm in Cheers.

Dieselhorses
03-25-2019, 09:33 AM
Shazaam. Look at it as an investment. It's money in the bank. When is the last time you ever saw a gun depreciate?