PDA

View Full Version : Lee....

Tom W.
10-17-2008, 03:23 PM
A while ago I posted about Lee's sizer, and how I had to push my boolits through upside down to get the gas check to seat, because if done according to the instructions the gas check would just fall off. It would also flatten my boolit nose some. Someone suggested that I e-mail Lee about it. Well, I finally did, and today in the mail I got a Lee sizing die that wasn't drilled all of the way through, but drilled enough with a nose profile so I could use it to seat the gas checks. It works, too! And it was free! That's great customer service. Free is always good.

I tried a few of my Ranch Dog bullets on it also just to see and it did just fine with them, too. I suppose the first chance I get I'll get to seating gas checks, then size them. It will be another step. but hey, this is a hobby , not a job.....

copdills
10-17-2008, 04:37 PM
Lee has great customer service , glad they go that extra mile for us

TAWILDCATT
11-03-2008, 10:51 PM
send a nice note thanking them.

docone31
11-04-2008, 12:02 AM
I am a fan of Lee Precision.
I right clicked the thread I made on them and sent it to them in an e-mail.
A picture is worth a thousand words.
Since I paper patch my castings for my .303 British, I was outside the .311, .312 range of their collet dies.
Pat at Lee had me send some wrapped castings, and shells.
It all came back and it works. I had to pay, but it was really nominal.

Paul Tummers
11-05-2008, 08:42 AM
I do not have much stuff made by Lee, but their collet dies are suberb, after I did some polishing work on them and adjusted the sizer stems to my needs, they size case necks perfect, the ammo has almost no run-out.
Only things I do not like on those dies are the locking rings, the alluminium top-cap and the fact that the decapping pins cannot be changed.

DLCTEX
11-09-2008, 09:56 AM
Paul Tummers: Why would you want to change the decapping pin? I've never known one to break, just pushes up and then you reset it. DALE

Paul Tummers
11-09-2008, 10:08 AM
Paul Tummers: Why would you want to change the decapping pin? I've never known one to break, just pushes up and then you reset it. DALE
I broke one while trying to neck-size/decap some .222Rem Magn. cases from Hirtenberger, did not know, they had a smaller flash-hole.
What do you mean with "Pushes up"? My collet dies do have an alluminium top-cap which has to be screwed down tightly- no room left for the decap unit to move upwards.

bruce drake
11-09-2008, 11:36 AM
Paul,

He was referring to the LEE standard dies. They have a split nut on the top that holds the decapping/sizing rod. If you adjust it right and don't crank it down like a gorilla, it will release the pin to slide up if you inadvertently try to decap a Berdan case or an off-centered flashhole. Very nice feature that has kept me from breaking too many of the pins, though I have done it the past :)

Bruce

HeavyMetal
11-09-2008, 11:49 AM
Paul:
Lee also makes a "universal" decapping die. This has the "sliding" decapping pin so you can run all your brass through without sizing or cleaning. Then if you run into a berdan case or those with real small flash holes the de capping rod "pops" up and lets you know you have a case with an issue!

I set a buddy up with one who shoots a lot of 5.56 AR stuff and this keeps him from bugging me every other week cause he broke his die set.

After he de caps and cleans his "sorted" brass he loads as usual with the Lee neck sizer die!

The die part number is: 90292 and the replacement decaping rod is: 90783.

Hope this helps.

Paul Tummers
11-10-2008, 01:06 PM
Then Lee has a double built-in safety in their regular dies? Changing decap pin facilitiy and a sliding rod, while the collet dies have no sliding -up and no changing of the decap pin.
I do have universal decap dies from RCBS, but for doing just a couple of cases ( 50 or less)I am kind of lazy and use the decap facility of the sizer die.
Kind Regards,
Paul T.