PDA

View Full Version : shedding

white eagle
03-16-2019, 05:26 PM
anyone been out in search of whitetail antler sheds?
Been tossing around the idea with my wife about going to see if we could find some.

Winger Ed.
03-16-2019, 05:34 PM
They're out there.
If nothing else, looking for them gets ya out side and exercising.

Beerd
03-16-2019, 06:37 PM
Mule deer in my backyard are still wearing their headgear.

Tripplebeards
03-16-2019, 07:12 PM
I went in late December, early January and no luck. There’s way too much snow yet for me to go looking.

Texas by God
03-16-2019, 07:18 PM
They're still horned here. You can make a antler trap with t-posts, goat wire, and corn.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Tripplebeards
03-16-2019, 07:40 PM
They dropped around here late December...probably froze off.lol

JBinMN
03-16-2019, 08:00 PM
Deep snow in some areas, & flooding in some areas as well.

Maybe later in a week or so around here in my area of MN.

I have health issues that limit my getting around in the woods & hills like I used to, do when I was younger & more fit & that is something I have to figure in on my adventures out in the sticks. It doesn't stop me, but it sure slows me down. I can't billy goat these bluffs like I used to, & even though I have snow shoes for the deeper snow, I don't have the wind to do what I used to do. Then, If I don't watch myself, I pay for it in the aches & pains later as well.

So anyway, that is my reasons for not getting out there yet, to do much of anything right now...

BTW... I don't yet want to even try to get out to most of the places I shoot, for the snow or the waters. Very much a bummer! I don't want to get stuck & I use 4wd jeep & truck, but I won't take the chance right now. I am gettin older & don't want to deal with it..

G'Luck! to any who get out!
:)

3leggedturtle
03-16-2019, 10:55 PM
I always wanted to train a dog to find them.

dale2242
03-17-2019, 07:19 AM
We don`t go out looking for sheds but routinely find them in the field behind the house.
None yet. I think it`s a little early for the blacktail to drop..dale

waksupi
03-17-2019, 11:31 AM
I always wanted to train a dog to find them.

My old Chesapeake would do it. After I would find a fresh one in the spring I would show it to her, and for the next month or so she would go out in the bush and bring them back pretty regularly.

quilbilly
03-17-2019, 01:55 PM
Our neighborhood blacktail bucks shed theirs over a month ago.

Mr_Sheesh
03-17-2019, 07:23 PM
Good dog!

lI am considering getting a Rokon (2WD Motorcycle) or the like for that as my knees are toast, till I get them replaced.

JBinMN
03-17-2019, 08:20 PM
This late afternoon/evening I took my drive with the dogs & traveled some of the gravel back roads. no "2 tracks" this trip. Still way too muddysnowy/rough for this feller...

I saw over 75-80 deer of all sizes/ages, and most were within 100 yds or less of the roads I drove.

Not a one had any rack left at all.

By the sizes, even though there were all sorts, there were enough larger ones to tell that around here any way, most if not all the bucks, have certainly dropped their racks. Now their growth starts gain.

So, at least around here, unless the mice & other critters that eat on them have tore them up, there should be some sheds around.

P.S.- not a single vehicle parked along the roads I traveled, while when the shed hunters are out, they are parked all over the place in these parts. Like I said earlier, snow & flooding is making a lot of folks wait a bit I am thinking...

Once again... G'Luck! to those that get out!

RugerFan
03-17-2019, 08:48 PM
Good dog!

lI am considering getting a Rokon (2WD Motorcycle) or the like for that as my knees are toast, till I get them replaced.

It's crazy where those things can go. I have seen tracks in the mountains where I thought only a pair of boots would take you.

Probably be late June before I can get into the hills to look for caribou sheds.

white eagle
03-18-2019, 04:27 PM
went out today we didn't find any
lot of snow yet
may be in a week or so it will be mo betta

MrWolf
03-19-2019, 10:14 AM
I went out with my dog yesterday looking. Nothing. Maybe try again this afternoon as I need the exercise.

BigAlofPa.
03-19-2019, 10:25 AM
The deer are starting to drop here. Saw a buck last week with antler.

sukivel
03-20-2019, 10:25 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190320/fcd4f5f3295e5e6434b520c66ed5e6b1.jpg

The dog brought me this a few days ago...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

03-20-2019, 11:57 AM
Here in Md, I saw a big body buck with what should have been 6 points. One side had already dropped.

......... and unrelated, I've wanted a Rokon for years. My knees aren't so hot either.