PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Collet chuck

JRLesan
03-12-2019, 09:42 PM
Looking for a vertical mount (or v/h)5C collet chuck to mount on drill press table for trimming brass. Interested in USA made or quality import - not offshore junk. Not interested in ebay links as I've looked there. Thanks...

huntersdog
03-12-2019, 10:30 PM
I have a bunch of new 5C collets if you need any.

Surgo
03-12-2019, 11:10 PM
What sort of runout are you looking for? It might be an import, but I wouldn't knock the indexing or spin fixtures sold by places like AllIndustrial or Grizzly. They can usually get the job done without breaking the bank.

abunaitoo
03-12-2019, 11:36 PM
I have an old Lyman that is used for that.
It's missing the cutter. Base only.
Camera died or I would post a picture.
PM if interested.

fast ronnie
03-13-2019, 02:59 AM
I use a 5-c collet chuck on the mill for trimming brass. I use an emergency collet bored to fit different size brass. Top step is for magnums, the 06 and then down to .223.
Unit is quick release with a lever.
I use a counterbore with replaceable pilots that I cut to size in the lathe.
I set the chuck up in the milling machine and indicate within a half thou.
If I remember right, I paid about a hundred dollars for the collet chuck. I didn't like the first one I bought, so sent it back and got a different brand that can be used horizontal or vertical, as I use it for cutting screw heads, etc. at other times.

dimaprok
03-13-2019, 03:19 PM
I think that's a slow way to go and I do have mini mill and lathe. The fastest way I found and I've tried 6-7 different trimming systems is to get Hornady cam-lock trimmer, I picked up used one from eBay, added RCBS 3 way cutter which trims and chamfers and deburrs at the same time and I machined little adapter to 1/4 hex shank which goes in to my electric screwdriver. With my left hand I keep it on the lever to unlock and lock casings and with my right hand I do the swapping and operating the screwdriver, it takes maybe 5 seconds per casing and the length is very accurate. The setup cost me about $100 but I no longer dread when I have to trim brass. Oh one more thing I got one of those flexible shaft connectors used for 3D printer motors and it doesn't matter if my screwdriver is at angle slightly, works exceptionally well.

JRLesan
03-13-2019, 04:50 PM
Should've mentioned ( I suppose) that I'm trimming 22 caliber jackets which don't lend themselves to (case) rim size clamping mechanisms...

NikA
03-13-2019, 09:21 PM
Have you considered an ER-series collet chuck for this task? You can buy ER collets for around the same price as 5C collets, they have a greater range, and you can buy ER chucks that have a MT taper which should drop into the center hole on your drill press table. As a bonus, those ER chucks are quite a bit more compact and less expensive.

I have both ER and 5C and find ER to generally be more convenient for most holding tasks.

country gent
03-13-2019, 09:44 PM
Also look at the DA series collets and holder. Less than the collet chuck and 5c collet greater range and accuracy. The holder is a straight round shank. Coud be used in a lathe chuck in the lathe or a vee block in the mill. It is also a smaller package to work around in the machine. A simple stop could be fashioned for it. Another plus to the AD series is, dia clamped isn't as length sensitive as the 5Cs are. I think the AD series holder and a collet could be purchased for around 75-80 dollars.

JRLesan
03-13-2019, 10:25 PM
Already have a 5C setup for the lathe, so bored an emergency collet and tested trimming. Lathe is out in the shop and I have a smaller than the one in the shop)) drill press down the basement where I do my reloading and etc. Bottom line is I'm looking for a 5C collet fixture as about the most practical and least effort/cost for me to get the job done...

Surgo
03-13-2019, 11:42 PM
Again, what sort of runout do you need? Because it sounds like even something like the Grizzly G9886 would meet your needs. It's a cheap import, but it's an effective one. If you need something that spins, they have spin indexing fixtures that aren't much more.

garandsrus
03-13-2019, 11:49 PM
Have you looked at a pinch trim die? That seems to be the quickest way to trim jackets.

JRLesan
03-14-2019, 07:07 AM
Looks like Grizzly may do the job and it's on sale. That design (may) have lateral movement (runout) but should be close enough for rf jacket trimming. Thank you...

Johnny_V
03-14-2019, 07:30 AM
Here's a link to an affordable 5C holder for vertical or horizontal.

https://www.shars.com/horizontal-vertical-5c-collet-chuck

I use a 5C holder for drilling out Berdan primers. I chambered an emergency collet for 7.62 x 39, made a stop, and use the mill to drill out the primer anvil, then sleeve the pocket hole and prime with small rifle primers.

Road_Clam
03-14-2019, 01:30 PM
I have the LMS 4190 mini mill. I use a 5c square collet fixture, and a threaded 5c collet stop. Clamp in my vice, indicate center, then i use LEE piloted trimmers, set a hard Z stop.(i also have a DRO) Works great.