PDA

View Full Version : Dash cams for our private vehicle

buckwheatpaul
03-12-2019, 04:03 PM
We have seen the advantages of dash cams in Law Enforcement situations. They protect the public, the officer, and the agency. With the increase in road rage; vehicular assault; and faked accidents and injuries mrs. buckwheatpaul and I have been considering a dash cam setup for our vehicles....what are your thoughts, concerns, and recommendations....inquiring minds want to know and thanks in advance....Paul

Thumbcocker
03-12-2019, 04:20 PM
They are quite common in some countries. Russia has a lot of them; a meteorite was caught on a lot of vehicle cameras in Russia a few years back.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

sparky45
03-12-2019, 04:25 PM
I think they're a solution for a growing problem. I'm going to look into them myself.

Jake McCracken
03-12-2019, 04:27 PM
Have one on every vehicle I have. I buy the $20-$30 walmart models. I also buy a larger SD card so there is more stored video just in case. Only had to show the video once when a guy backed into me at a gas station. The other time it would have come in handy it ended up not being needed. As soon as the other driver heard me say "I cought it all on my dashcam" the other driver admitted what he did.

As far as downsides, I dont really see one unless youre the kind of driver that breaks laws and doesnt want any recorded evidence.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

slim1836
03-12-2019, 04:28 PM
If you find a good one please share it.

Slim

RED BEAR
03-12-2019, 04:40 PM
I really hate to admit it but i think it is a good idea. My son was in an accident where the other driver stopped and backed into him .the other driver admitted it until he heard the officer say he didn't believe it that there was to much damage then he changed his story to my son just ran into the back of him. I sure wish we had a dash cam that day.

Winger Ed.
03-12-2019, 05:28 PM
I've never met anyone who regretted having one.

Its especially good when another car hits you, and all the passengers will claim it was your fault.

sparky45
03-12-2019, 05:29 PM
That's interesting; do you has 2 cameras, one pointing towards the front and one pointing to the rear?

tinhorn97062
03-12-2019, 05:36 PM
50% or more of the cars/motorcycles that I see in California freeways have a dash/helmet cam. I’m considering one myself.

Thundarstick
03-12-2019, 05:46 PM
I've been considering them myself, especially for bicycling and motorcycling! The more of them in cars, the safer the roads will become in my opinion.

square butte
03-12-2019, 05:53 PM
Yep - We've been thinking about getting them for almost a year now

Bookworm
03-12-2019, 06:12 PM
I have a commercial vehicle. IMHO, anyone running a commercial vehicle is foolish if they don't have a cam.

Haven't put any in my POVs yet. I certainly should.

osteodoc08
03-12-2019, 06:29 PM
I certainly have thought about it as well. I put 30k miles on my personal vehicle last year. Certainly increases the chance of something happening.

DCP
03-12-2019, 06:43 PM
I got this on a lighting deal for 10.00 off

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DLG9GFG/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You must reformat it every 15 days
Battery sucks

the video is pretty good

JBinMN
03-12-2019, 06:48 PM
I think it is a good "CYA" move for a lot of folks who drive in areas with more chances for the need. Out here in the more rural areas it may not be so much of a useful item.
So, I guess it depends on whether each person sees a need based on their own experiences & the environment they drive in on a fairly regular basis.

Me? I would like to have one for each rig, but I stick to mainly rural country roads & towns, so the need is less & I don't think I will be getting one anytime soon. If I lived in a larger town, or city, or went there more often, that would change my decision I would think.
;)

WheelgunConvert
03-12-2019, 06:56 PM
Mini805p with GPS

I’ve had 2 previous models and they worked well. I think the heat killd the first, the current model is heat protected.

Boolit_Head
03-12-2019, 07:02 PM
I've got a Yi action cam and it is very good. I'd look at their dash cams, in fact you guys got me to thinking I should get one.

Hossfly
03-12-2019, 07:19 PM
Looks like a good idea, as much as a new car cost as much as a house. Good to have proof of what happened to show to LEO or judge, Or Insurance co.

Boolit_Head
03-12-2019, 07:21 PM
Found a review of the Yi. Now when are they going to include a usb power port on top of the dash? :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRycas4M4DY

jonp
03-12-2019, 07:31 PM
I use a Garmin Dezcam https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-dezlCam-Navigator-Lifetime-010-N1457-00/dp/B075D18XSX/ref=sr_1_10?hvadid=177334539240&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9009693&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=6005251564270960297&hvtargid=kwd-130285514884&keywords=garmin+dezl+570&qid=1552433303&s=gateway&sr=8-10&tag=googhydr-20

Most of the stuff will not be of interest to non-professional truck drivers but the magnetic mount is very nice, just put the suction cup on the window and plug in. When you pop the camera on it automatically aligns itself and starts charging. Easy to remove leaving the mount there. The camera quality is fantastic and the ease of use is good. You can remove the unit to get pictures and video outside of your vehicle. One touch recording, lifetime maps, gps etc. Pull out the usb chip to download onto the computer or hand to a cop. Plug in directly to the computer to download the video and email it or save. Well worth the money. The video records the speed and exact location right on the video. Really nice set-up

jonp
03-12-2019, 07:34 PM
Found a review of the Yi. Now when are they going to include a usb power port on top of the dash? :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRycas4M4DY

I've got one in my dash on my new International. Plug my phone into it. Also have one on the radio.

Boolit_Head
03-12-2019, 07:36 PM
I've been scheming how I could wire one up on the roof near the mirror on my F150.

metricmonkeywrench
03-12-2019, 07:53 PM
We invested as well, I believe the one in my truck is a wheelwitness model from amazon, not sure what is in the wife’s car. Mine has a gps module and the supporting software will play the video along with a route map, speed weather, and a bunch of other capabilities. Mostly for the reasons listed above, here in Virginia just south of DC we tend to find a lot of inattentive drivers.

It also forces me to be mindful of speed, paying attention to the road and surroundings and defensive driving. In our mind it would be hard to use any video as evidence when I’m misbehaving.

abunaitoo
03-12-2019, 10:19 PM
I was looking for one that records front and rear, and could also be used as a back-up camera.
So many of them, but all way to expensive for me.
Those small, cheap, box one's at walmart look interesting.

nseries
03-13-2019, 02:20 AM
Helmet cam... I wish I could have had one on my head for several foolish events I managed to survive as a younger man... I've only got memories and no raw footage!!!

LynC2
03-13-2019, 07:33 AM
Helmet cam... I wish I could have had one on my head for several foolish events I managed to survive as a younger man... I've only got memories and no raw footage!!!

LOL, I believe all of us have done that.:lol:

waksupi
03-13-2019, 10:20 AM
I have one in my car. I do occasionally catch some funny stuff.

I will advise that when you get one, buy a solid mount to put on the mirror. Most come with a suction cup mount. They will come loose in hot and cold weather, so it's better to just avoid the problem.

firefly1957
03-13-2019, 03:50 PM
I too have been thinking about putting one in car when i drive Now that the idiots in Michigan legalized pot it is a even better idea.

abunaitoo
03-13-2019, 03:51 PM
Reason we need things like this, is because people these days have no Honor.
In the past, if you did something wrong, you fess up to it.
These days, it's "prove it to me"
I've seen parked cars getting hit.
Sometimes the driver get out, looks at their car, and drives off.
Sometimes, if I see damage, I leave a note with the other cars license number, time , and date.
My car has been hit a few times, and nothing.
A camera wouldn't help when parked. It turns on only when the car is running.
I wonder if there is a camera that will start recording when bumped????

Boolit_Head
03-13-2019, 03:59 PM

There is a million dollar idea for you!

Bookworm
03-13-2019, 04:54 PM
Most decent dash cams have a sensor that will record when disturbed. The one I have in my commercial vehicle is set up that way.
It ha "park" mode, which awakens at any disturbance over a certain intensity. That level can be set by the owner.

The more complex dash cams have a great many features, but that makes them less of a "plug and play" item. I spent a lot of time setting my dash cam to do what I wanted. It can even record sounds inside the cab.

DCP
03-13-2019, 04:55 PM
Sometimes, if I see damage, I leave a note with the other cars license number, time , and date.

Yes, there is the one. See my 1st post

Petander
03-13-2019, 06:01 PM
They are quite common in some countries. Russia has a lot of them; a meteorite was caught on a lot of vehicle cameras in Russia a few years back.

They became popular in Russia because of the police. People get stopped for no other reason but pay.

I don't like a world where people who are not guilty have to prove not being guilty.

jonp
03-13-2019, 07:13 PM

Mine stays on as long as it's plugged into the cigarette lighter.

MT Gianni
03-14-2019, 05:11 PM
[QUOTE=abunaitoo;4599613]Reason we need things like this, is because people these days have no Honor.
#00FFFF"]I wonder if there is a camera that will start recording when bumped????[[/COLOR]/QUOTE]
What would be great is if it started 15 seconds before.

waksupi
03-14-2019, 07:10 PM

The one I have you can turn on the motion sensor to take stills when parked.

bedbugbilly
03-15-2019, 11:12 AM
I don't think they are a bad idea - I just am not savy enough to know how they work - i.e. - if you have one on your dash, how does it get activated? Do you have to reach up and hit a switch or how do you turn it on? It certainly doesn't run and record all the time you are driving - which could be hours - or does it?

My only thought on it is if you have to reach up and activate it - that takes your attention away from driving just like texting or talking on the phone and could cause you to have an accident as a result.

My wife and I make a 2,000 mile trip twice a year - and it blows my mind how many idiots we see texting and yack yack packing on the cell phone - no call is that important and if it is, then pull over and make the call. What really gets us are the people we see driving with their cruise control on and they are reading a paper or a book! Really? So just how much do the dash cams take of your attention to turn them on or off while you should be concentrating on the road? Not being nasty - I'm curious just how they function in regards to a single driver in the car and how they would be activated in a situation where they would come in handy?

waksupi
03-15-2019, 11:35 AM
I don't think they are a bad idea - I just am not savy enough to know how they work - i.e. - if you have one on your dash, how does it get activated? Do you have to reach up and hit a switch or how do you turn it on? It certainly doesn't run and record all the time you are driving - which could be hours - or does it?

My only thought on it is if you have to reach up and activate it - that takes your attention away from driving just like texting or talking on the phone and could cause you to have an accident as a result.

My wife and I make a 2,000 mile trip twice a year - and it blows my mind how many idiots we see texting and yack yack packing on the cell phone - no call is that important and if it is, then pull over and make the call. What really gets us are the people we see driving with their cruise control on and they are reading a paper or a book! Really? So just how much do the dash cams take of your attention to turn them on or off while you should be concentrating on the road? Not being nasty - I'm curious just how they function in regards to a single driver in the car and how they would be activated in a situation where they would come in handy?

They start when you start the vehicle. They loop record, so are on all the time. If you have an incident you want to save,there is a button you push. Mine saves about three minutes worth.

Beagle333
03-15-2019, 11:42 AM
I got one from Amazon. It was just one of the $40-50 models but it does the job.
Several of my friends have them too. It comes in handy against any "he said, she said" arguments. It's right there on the video.

Stewbaby
03-15-2019, 12:08 PM
I got one from Amazon. It was just one of the $40-50 models but it does the job.
Several of my friends have them too. It comes in handy against any "he said, she said" arguments. It's right there on the video.

If you get a chance, please share a model number or link. TIA

Beagle333
03-15-2019, 12:34 PM
YI 2.7" Screen Full HD 1080P60 165 Wide Angle Dashboard Camera, Car DVR Vehicle Dash Cam with G-Sensor, Mobile APP, WDR, Loop Recording, Grey

Amazon doesn't carry it at the moment, but they did, and had them on sale occasionally at $40-50. Slickdeals had them for $39.99 too, but that's expired.
Other sellers will have them. Shop for best price.

jaysouth
03-19-2019, 09:02 PM
I have the Cobra model with front and rear cameras. I had it professionally installed at Best Buy. They wired it into my ignition system. when I start the car, both cameras are turned on. They ran all the wires our of sight and did a very professional job.

An attorney advised me to dismount the camera in case of an accident and do not mention having one to anyone. Bring it to him, he will send it to a video lab while maintaining chain of custody. If the video goes against me, I have control of it. If the video supports me or my actions, I have good proof that can be introduced in court, with professional presentation and complete chain of custody.

I would not drive without one any more.

abunaitoo
03-19-2019, 11:19 PM
I have the Cobra model with front and rear cameras. I had it professionally installed at Best Buy. They wired it into my ignition system. when I start the car, both cameras are turned on. They ran all the wires our of sight and did a very professional job.

An attorney advised me to dismount the camera in case of an accident and do not mention having one to anyone. Bring it to him, he will send it to a video lab while maintaining chain of custody. If the video goes against me, I have control of it. If the video supports me or my actions, I have good proof that can be introduced in court, with professional presentation and complete chain of custody.

I would not drive without one any more.

That is a very good suggestion.
Cobra sounds expensive.
What model is it????
Does it do back-up camera???

454PB
03-19-2019, 11:38 PM
I have one in each of my vehicles. I tried some of the cheaper ones, but the video quality was poor. I then bought two of these and have been very pleased....video quality is excellent, and it has many features I don't use. Waksupi is correct about the suction cup mounts, they do fall off in temperature extremes.

https://www.amazon.com/INSIQ-Dashcam-Recorder-Blackbox-Dashboard/dp/B06XZQPFXS