PDA

View Full Version : Watch them nuts......

beagle
12-05-2005, 10:31 PM
I switched pots last week and sent my RCBS Pro Melt in for a new switch.

I pullet #2 out of mothballs, fired it up and popped in the thermometer. When she got to 775 degrees, I started casting. After about 6-8 throws, the flow got real slow. The temp on the thermo read 775.

I opened the flow adjustment screw and again went 6-8 throws and it slowed down.

I said, "dirty pot" and did a round of fluxing and tried again. Same set of events.

By this time, I'd finished testing whatever I was messing with and shut it down.

Today the same thing happed. I opened the adjustment screw several times and it cleared up but I was getting to the point where I wanted to shoot something.

Lit up the pipe and thought and looked a bit. Now, I'd opened the adjustment screw about 5-6 times and it still had plenty of adjustment. What with that?

I Opened it again and cast and dropped the lever and as it hit, I saw the adjustment screw move about 1/4 turn, again, and the screw dropped more. Now, the things got a locknut but I never set it. I proceeded to and had no more troubles.

So, if you're having trouble with flow on a Pro Melt, wath that loose lock nut./beagle

David R
12-05-2005, 10:56 PM
Same problem with mine, I just hit the screw thread with a small prick punch like I saw a gunsmith do once. Now it doesn't vibrate closed.

At first it was blowing my mind. Turn it open a little, pour a few, open it, pour a few, open it.............. Then like you I saw it actually screw in when I dropped the handle.

David

44man
12-06-2005, 12:35 AM
Lead gremlins turning the shaft! They hate going down the drain.

beagle
12-07-2005, 05:06 PM
Might try that. My problem was that I wasn't using the locknut./beagle

Same problem with mine, I just hit the screw thread with a small prick punch like I saw a gunsmith do once. Now it doesn't vibrate closed.

At first it was blowing my mind. Turn it open a little, pour a few, open it, pour a few, open it.............. Then like you I saw it actually screw in when I dropped the handle.

David

StarMetal
12-07-2005, 05:09 PM
Mine doesn't move much. I've threatened to pitch that nut tho.

Joe