PDA

View Full Version : PC cast in stock Glock barrel?

44Blam
03-09-2019, 01:11 AM
I bought a Glock 35 and a KKM 357 sig barrel. I love the 357 sig.
But I got to thinking...
I can shoot 40 s&w too... AND NOE has a few cool 40 HP molds... All subsonic type rounds...

So, if I PC a boolit and don't push it, is there really an issue with the glock barrel?

oteroman
03-09-2019, 01:16 AM
Rough correlation is
If it is OK to shoot a plated bullet, you can shoot a PC bullet.
You can shoot PC in a stock Glock barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

44Blam
03-09-2019, 01:26 AM
Rough correlation is
If it is OK to shoot a plated bullet, you can shoot a PC bullet.
You can shoot PC in a stock Glock barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I feel as if I should cast/reload for that caliber too... 357 sig barks a lot, 40 s&w has some push... Seem like a good combo to switch back and forth from. And HP S&W seems like a good carry load...

Papercidal
03-09-2019, 01:41 AM
Before I switched to a cz for USPSA I shot probably 20-30,000 cast hi tec coated bullets through 9mm and .45 glocks without any leading or issues (the conventional cz barrel on the other hand leads like crazy)

44Blam
03-09-2019, 01:46 AM
Darnit y'all! Now I'm loading for 40 S&W...

Lloyd Smale
03-09-2019, 07:56 AM
ive shot 10s of thousands through 9s 40s and 10s in my glocks. Never had an accuracy problem or a leading issue. Ive used both conventionaly lubed and pc. What I do do with glocks and other handguns with shallow rifling is cast hard. Usually either 5050 ww/lino or water dropped ww. When I got my first 10mm I overthought the deal. I figured that much more pressure and speed would cause problems. So I bought a wolf barrel. It shot fine and didn't lead but I had non typical glock problems. Mostly failure to go into battery. Sent the barrel back to wolf and told them it was chambered to tight and needed to be opened up. they sent it back and said they had done it but the problem was the same. Im sure they didn't tough it. Frustrated I put the factory 10 barrel back on it and it ran like a sewing machine and actually shot a tad better.

nicholst55
03-09-2019, 08:12 AM
Here's 32 pages worth of info:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?33855-The-Truth-about-Glocks-and-Cast

SvenLindquist
03-09-2019, 08:21 AM
The cast boolit Glock myth is ----- A MYTH !

cwlongshot
03-09-2019, 08:59 AM
I avree with Lloyd 100%

2017 second half I switched to PC cast boolits in my 3 gun shooting. Shot them ALL of 2018. I wore out a lee 145g mold casting them!! I dont know how many but estimate 7/8k. All thru a stock g35 bbl. zero leading. Near zero fouling. Never needex to brush bore wet patch couple times to check 99% i just used a bore mopp cord. No brush.

I have also used conv lubed lead with no issued but did clean maticuliously fir conserns. ONLY issues where my cause with my oversized boolits.

I have kkm & LW barrels in 10mm that also see cast and pc cast. These are tighter chambers yhen glock and can see battery issues occasionally.

My kkm 357 will begin a diet of pc cast this coming season as will my pcc 357 sig. hoping for occasional 3 gun use.

I wont advise against manafacture recomendations. BUT remember not a single manafacture recomends or condones handloads either... :groner:

d4xycrq
03-09-2019, 10:27 AM
Other than self defense ammo, I shoot nothing but cast in my Glocks. Occasionally the neighbour will drop by with some jacketed bullets to donate to the cause, but I won't buy them. Cast away!

Taterhead
03-10-2019, 12:14 AM
Another here that has Glocks that see PC cast almost exclusively. Great results.

kevin c
03-10-2019, 01:26 AM
HiTek coated bullets also work in Glock barrels (well, at least the Gen 3 stock polygonal barrels; I don't know about the "enhanced polygonal rifling of the new Gen 5 "Marksman" barrels). Many thousands, both commercial hard cast and my own, without leading or other issues.

44Blam
03-10-2019, 03:34 AM
Well, I ordered a mold: NOE HTC402-188-WFN RG2
And the dies.
I plan to load these subsonic and they will be powder coated... Big hollow points, gonna be slow and fat - kinda like me. :)
If it turns out that there are issues, I'll get a KKM barrel. I've shot about 200 rounds in the past couple weeks of hard cast PC'd lead under pretty stout AA9 loads in a KKM .357 Sig barrel. It cleans up easily and there is good burn and no leading.

cwlongshot
03-10-2019, 07:13 AM
Aa long as your PC is properly cured/cooked, you will enjoy many years of fun with that combo.

Of all the dozens of molds that I own, I still haven’t bought a (preferred) WFN for my 10mm.

CW

JeffinTD
03-14-2019, 09:41 AM
Way back before anyone said anything about cast bullets and Glocks, I bought an early one and I shot a bunch of cast bullets through it. Good accuracy, no leading.

Later they said their rifling would lead and you could blow yourself up... I susect one dingus used jacketed bullet data with soft swaged bullets, or something equally stupid, and Glock ran with it. As I recall the Glock guy made a point of saying one round or reloaded ammunition of any type voided the warranty, so I think the company really tried to discourage using anything but factory ammo.

Anyway, my .02 would be proceed at your own risk, but if you gradually work up your charge, inspect the bore for leading frequently, and use common sense...

I’d bet for any brand of gun in any caliber, if you looked hard enough you’d find someone who blew one up, both with cast bullets and with jacketed.

fredj338
03-14-2019, 12:48 PM
No issues what so ever. I shoot full power 10mm in my G20sf, stock bbl. They shoot great with no hint of leading. I ran a stock G19 all last year in IDPA, about 8K rds of 147gr PC, I think I cleaned it 6x over the year?