PDA

View Full Version : food plot turnips

jim 44-40
10-16-2008, 08:55 AM
Hello, Here's a pic of a turnip I picked out of my food plot for deer. The seeds came from Agway. Planted the seed mix in the middle of Aug. I think the deer might have to wait for me to try them first they look so good.

Bullshop
10-16-2008, 10:52 AM
Man where do you live? In August we are beginning to get our first frost and sometimes snow. We have to start seed inside about 4/1 to get stuff like that. We get them it just takes longer and more work than just throwing some seeds out.
BIC/BS

Wayne Dobbs
10-16-2008, 05:19 PM
Dude,

You're welcome to that nasty turnip! Please send the greens my way though!

georgeky
10-16-2008, 05:25 PM
Looks good. Turnips are just now growing a little here in KY. No rain has them behind a bit.

jawjaboy
10-16-2008, 05:57 PM
I love me some turnips. Yessir.

Rick N Bama
10-16-2008, 06:17 PM
I planted my greens here on Aug 11, which was way too early. We've been plauged by slug & snails, but despite them we've canned some 21 quarts, given away several messes & have been eating them ourselves about once a week. I sure will be glad when we finally get a frost on them to sweeten the things up.

Rick

jawjaboy
10-16-2008, 07:09 PM
So true Rick. Greens/roots don't get shore nuf good 'til after the first really good frost. After that, stand by. :lol:

Rick N Bama
10-16-2008, 07:58 PM
So true Rick. Greens/roots don't get shore nuf good 'til after the first really good frost. After that, stand by. :lol:

When I was a kid we never picked them until after the 1st frost. My wife (bless her heart) says they're good anytime, so I let her convince me to plant early. Next year I swear they won't go in before 9-15!

Rick

jim 44-40
10-16-2008, 08:28 PM
Hi there BullShop, I live in SW Pennsylvania. Had some boiled turnips tonight,good eating!!! Did'nt even think about the green tops till I got some replies back from other members.But I will try them next. Groundhogs like them too,I passed up shooting one because he looked so happy with a mouth full.

DLCTEX
10-16-2008, 08:56 PM
I have been too busy at work to plant a fall garden. It's a shame as this would have been the best fall in years. I love turnips and their greens. I had a friend who planted about an acre every year and supplied everyone around, but he has passed on. DALE

twotrees
10-16-2008, 10:45 PM
In a food plot, the other club members would have to be kept out with a shotgun. The deer would never see the tops.

As for the turnip, most down here in Ga must think they are poison, cause you'll never see anyone eat them.

Me and the wife love them in stews and with pot roast, Yum !!!

jjamna
10-16-2008, 10:45 PM
Go to Google and search Candied Turnips. Very easy to make and M------- M------- Good

Heavy lead
10-16-2008, 10:58 PM
No one seems to eat those turnip greens here in MI, but me, love them all turnip, collard, beet, spinach, dandelion greens, the whole lot and the roots too, oh and rhutabega (misspell?) I'm a native Michigander, but I must have southern blood somewhere, to heck with the deer, we've got apples for them.

Four Fingers of Death
10-19-2008, 07:21 PM
Its middle spring here, just about to put tomatoes down in pots on the verandah (we got frosts until November, learnt the hard way).

The greens/leaves off the turnips, do you just cook them like spinach/cabbage whatever?

I like having a garden, but am not much good on my knees and never seem to get around to gardening properly (paid attention when I had younguns and no money though), so I think I have found a good solution. There is this French lady who lives a few blocks away from me, she has a really nice veggie garden, but can't handle her lawnmower and edger as she's tiny and in her 60s. She has been trying to employ my friend to mow her lawn. I struck up a deal, I'll look after her lawn and edges and she is going to tend my garden. Should work out well. I'm looking forward to growing beans, tomatoes and silverbeet/spinach, zuccinis, aubignes, etc. have to get the old Vacola dusted off (Aussie home canning outfit).

We had an old garden in one of the prisons I worked in. It was set up by the previous residents, who were criminall insane, long termers. The new residents were juvenilles that the juvenille prison system couldn't handle, they were some of the hardest risoners I ever dealt with. The little sods used to dig up a nice round little turnip when no one was looking and pelt it at staff and visitors who were unlucky enough to be looking the wrong way. A couple of episodes of this and I had had enough. I left them locked in the next morning and we dug the old garden over and got two large garbage bags of small turnips ranging in size from cherry to tenis ball size. You could barely lift the bags. I took them over to the cook and siad that the little sods were going to eat the lot. He put turnips in soup, stew, mashed as veges, etc. I even spotted a few in a fruit salad. he came up to me a month or so later and reported that all of the turnips had been eaten by the prisoners. I thanked him and had to smile, because I was the only that knew why everyone had flatulance for the past month or so :D

Dark Helmet
10-20-2008, 05:08 PM
Mick, we usually cook them in "mixed" greens, the seed mix has turnip, mustard and kale; throw in some smoked ham/bacon for seasoning. Add a few potatoes or turnips to the pot.

10-x
10-20-2008, 09:18 PM
How about "CabbageCollards"? Eastern NC is the only place I've seen them. From Elizabeth City to Wilmington they can be had at roadside stands................Saltpork seasoning, cabbage collards and some corn dumplings, fresh tomatoes, corn on the cob..............nuf sed:drinks::drinks:

DLCTEX
10-20-2008, 09:32 PM
Mick: We cook turnip greens in water, drain the water, add more water, salt pepper, a dash of hot sauce, and bacon or pork chunks, and cook again. They are strong enough to need the second cooking. I'm not familiar with aubignes, is there another name for it? DALE

MT Gianni
10-21-2008, 12:01 AM
Mick: I'm not familiar with aubignes, is there another name for it? DALE

I googled it and got eggplant receipes. Gianni

DLCTEX
10-21-2008, 01:32 PM
Ah, Eggplant! My least favorite vegetable from the garden.

mikenbarb
10-23-2008, 09:16 PM
I love turnips and their great boiled up and mashed like potatoes and the greens are great also. Yummy! They grow great in N.J. and I have them in the garden every year next to the brussel sprouts.

Four Fingers of Death
11-03-2008, 07:10 PM
Ah, Eggplant! My least favorite vegetable from the garden.

Every time I read about eggplants (which is what we call them) in an American publication, they called them aubigines, thats why I used that name.

Try this recipe (I saw it on an Aussie lifestyle show on TV);

'EsCalavera' (I don't know about the spelling, but it is an old Spanish dish aparently).

Cook Capsicums (caps) on BBQ (I do one of each colour for effect). The skins will blacken. Remove the burnt outer skin (the best way to do this is to pop them ina plastic bag for a few minutes, the heat of the cooked caps will sweat the black stuff off making it easy to remove) set aside.

Cook red onion wedges, liberally coated with Olive Oil (any type of onion will do, but the red ones look great and are more authentic I suppose).

Slice eggplants either way and paint with Olive Oil, they will soak up heaps of oil.

Slice the caps into pieces and discard the middle part, (seeds and stuff). I slice them lengthways for effect). Place into a big bowl/serving dish and toss very lightly or the onion will fall apart and the eggplant will get trashed. Drizzle lots of good quality Olive Oil and crush garlic all over, then get the grinder out and grind lots of rock salt over the lot. Serve with BBQ'd meat.Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!

PS, use Extra Virgin Olive Oil and not the light stuff. My friend Joe, owns and operates a family olive oil business. He only processes the olives once by cold pressing and ends up with extra virgin olive oil. This is full of taste and has lots of anti-oxidants and is really good for you. The olive pulp is re processed to get virgin Olive oil, less anti-oxidants, taste, etc, re-processed again to get olive oil, even less taste and hardly any anti-oxidants, then finally re-processed to get light olive oil, zero taste and zero anti-oxidants. Joe and his wife refuse to re-process the olives, they let the pulp stand and his wife scoops what oil floats off and makes soaps and moisturisers, etc out of it.

Getting back to eggplants, traditionally they are coated with salt, which soaks off the extra water in the plant and softens the flavour. The salt is washed off and the slices fruit dried before cooking.

While I was at Joe's, I bought a book on Preserving the Italian Way! I'm gonna end up with some tasty treats later in the year.

Enjoy!