PDA

View Full Version : Cabela's Points now Worthless

Mal Paso
03-07-2019, 10:32 AM
I needed 10 MTM ammo boxes and had $20 in Cabela's Points which should have cut the cost in half. They used to be $3.99, a few pennies over the $3.84 list price, they are now almost TWICE List Price at $6.99. Almost 3 TIMES THE COST at LA Police Gear.

The quality clothes are Gone. No more tall sizes. Time to get rid of their credit card too.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-07-2019, 11:08 AM
I agree about Cabela's.

Hint: Natchez has the "Hinged" plastic ammo boxes (by smart reloader) 50 rd and 100 rd, on clearance for around a buck each...but they are Pink/black. When I placed my order a few days ago, they only had 357m and 41m/44m left

gwpercle
03-07-2019, 02:25 PM
First Herter's went away , then Sears and Western Auto , now Cabela's !
Soon it will be nothing but Amazon and the net...What a shame.

Shawlerbrook
03-07-2019, 02:33 PM
Yes, Cabelas quality went down to Bass Pro rather than Bass Pro going up to Cabelas.

Omega
03-07-2019, 03:29 PM
Order them from Midsouth, they have their hinged boxes pretty cheap.
https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/search?brand=midsouth-reloading&searchterm=ammo+boxes&itemsperpage=30&currentpage=1

Smoke4320
03-07-2019, 03:35 PM
When there about 1 month ago.. checked the website for meat lugs .. yes in stock
drove 40 miles to find out no meat lugs in stock .. store had been totally rearranged with 1/5 th the store now fishing gear
and yes the clothes are now cheap made not Cabela's quality.. doubt I will go there anymore

dannyd
03-07-2019, 04:06 PM
First Herter's went away , then Sears and Western Auto , now Cabela's !
Soon it will be nothing but Amazon and the net...What a shame.

Don't know about Herter's or Western Auto but Sears knew 30 years ago this March that things we're going south and did almost nothing about it. I was working part time in Division 9 the tool department.

lead-1
03-07-2019, 11:05 PM
Cabela's in Triadelphia, WV has gone down hill very bad also. No reason for me to drive 1.5 hours.

Hogtamer
03-07-2019, 11:43 PM
Mentioned this post to my son this afternoon. He buys enough supplies in his building business on the Cabela's card and pays it off every month to account for 1000's of $ in free stuff from Cabelas. Says he's got the equivalent of $2500 in cash now and plans to buy a couple of nice guns. Probably not what Cabelas had in mind with there offer but that's what it is and he's taking advantage of it.

white cloud
03-08-2019, 08:58 AM
My last order from Cabelas was packed by an idiot. They zip tie the actions on lever guns closed. I am not buying a gun that I can't fully inspect. Their prices are crazy also. I think that I am done with Cabelas.

Elkins45
03-08-2019, 10:08 AM
Sorry about your points, but the best ammo boxes are the ones sold by Dillon. It’s not even close. You can drop a loaded box from waist high onto concrete and it will survive. And they aren’t very expensive. They’re the only Dillon product I own.

Mal Paso
03-08-2019, 10:36 AM
Mentioned this post to my son this afternoon. He buys enough supplies in his building business on the Cabela's card and pays it off every month to account for 1000's of $ in free stuff from Cabelas. Says he's got the equivalent of $2500 in cash now and plans to buy a couple of nice guns. Probably not what Cabelas had in mind with there offer but that's what it is and he's taking advantage of it.

If it's a Classic Cabela's card with 1% back he can get more money and get it in Cash too. Capitol One has made it impossible for me to use their web site. They REQUIRE a text to be sent to a cell phone and there is No Cell Service Here. I spent over an hour on the phone and there Is No Solution.

Remember when you called Cabela's Club and a nice person in the Midwest had you all fixed up in minutes?

Mal Paso
03-08-2019, 11:02 AM
Sorry about your points, but the best ammo boxes are the ones sold by Dillon. It’s not even close. You can drop a loaded box from waist high onto concrete and it will survive. And they aren’t very expensive. They’re the only Dillon product I own.

Too late. While you were typing I was buying the same MTM boxes that were $6.99 at Cabela's for $2.99 from Natchez. Those Dillon look good though and pennies more than MTM. Look similar but not the same mold/manufacturer. Thanks!

Hairtrigger
03-08-2019, 11:03 AM
Bass Pro has ruined Cabelas in many different ways
Wont deal on used guns
Raised prices
most bargain caves are gone
They may be good at fishing but really are terrible at selling guns and hunting supplies

Texas by God
03-08-2019, 02:12 PM
Bass Pro and Cabela's draw air thru a straw. It'll take a sizable gift card from someone to get me in either one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

jonp
03-09-2019, 05:44 AM
My last order from Cabelas was packed by an idiot. They zip tie the actions on lever guns closed. I am not buying a gun that I can't fully inspect. Their prices are crazy also. I think that I am done with Cabelas.

I was in the Garner, NC Cabelas a couple of weeks ago watching a guy get a gun that had been shipped there. The counter person pulled it from the box and to my surprise it was also zip tied. I thought it odd but figured that was how they were shipped. The Cabelas guy cut it, worked the action then handed it to the buyer for inspection. The guns behind the counter were not zip tied. One thing they did do that irritated me for some reason was put in a ticket thing. Take a number then hang around staring at the the screen for yours to come up. If they are going to do that then they should put the screens all over the store so you can look elsewhere and come back when yours is up. All I wanted was a box of primers.

jonp
03-09-2019, 05:49 AM
If it's a Classic Cabela's card with 1% back he can get more money and get it in Cash too. Capitol One has made it impossible for me to use their web site. They REQUIRE a text to be sent to a cell phone and there is No Cell Service Here. I spent over an hour on the phone and there Is No Solution.

Remember when you called Cabela's Club and a nice person in the Midwest had you all fixed up in minutes?

Authentication is getting pretty common. Go online, sign into a sight and they send a code to your phone which you have to enter to get into them. My Credit Union(s) do this as an option for extra security, I think Yahoo mail does it and Coinbase (bitcoin) also does it.

Budzilla 19
03-09-2019, 08:13 AM
Jon P, you had to take a number and wait in line to get a box of primers? Wow. LGS might be higher, but I didn’t have to wait, just pulled the primers off the shelf, paid the man, done. Guess we lucky down here, at least we still have a few LGS in business. Plus, on a recent driving trip to Kentucky, the few Cabelas I passed, the parking lots were almost deserted! I don’t deal with them anymore.

Handloader109
03-09-2019, 08:43 AM
I'll pile on. I have one about 20 minutes away. Was good store, now with BP owning, prices up 20 to 50 percent on all supplies.
I don't do credit cards, but had a cabelas rewards card that worked well. Same points as CC. Use as discount on purchase. They even retroactively applied to my new account the points for my tractor I so ignorantly bought a couple of months before the stopped selling them, but that was a nice discount on supplies.
Fast forward to yesterday, mail from BP with new card to replace the old cabelas. Earn less, and they send a voucher at 500 point level. ($10 credits) No immediate use of balance.
Nope, garbage. Rather stop at academy and save 10 minutes drive time. Or internet.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Rick Hodges
03-09-2019, 10:46 AM
Cabela's was going downhill long before the merger/take over by Bass Pro. Prices going up and quality down. Selection in the store horrible, they even did away with the no questions replacement/money back guarantee. I think it started downhill when the brother's sold the business and it went public. The bean counters took over and will eventually kill it completely.

375supermag
03-09-2019, 11:03 AM
Hi...
I have seen the same problem since the merger with Bass Pro Shop at the Cabela's in Hamburg, Pa.
Prices went up, bargain cave gone, changed the clothes selection( not for the better), much more limited selection and less products on the shelves. Customer service has deteriorated considerably.
It's a shame... Cabela's used to be a good place to shop.
I am fortunate to have several good gun shops fairly near to me but it was always nice to take a day trip to go to Cabela's.

Mohavedog
03-09-2019, 11:43 AM
There isn't any reason I want to shop at Cabelas/Basspro. But my issue is with the Capital One credit card. I opened the account to receive a discount on a purchase about a yr ago. Since then I have never used the card for any more purchases and the card has never been out of my possession. 2 mo's ago I got a statement showing over $700 in charges on one day from 3 different states several hundred miles apart. The charges were immediately disputed and I was assured they would be taken care of. Well, it took me several phone calls and and about three hours of wasted time to get the bills stopped over two mo's later. I cancelled the card and would never have another Capital One card.
When I told my step son about it he said He'd had several fraudulent charges on his Capital One card. Anybody else have problems with the security of the Capital One card?

jonp
03-09-2019, 06:53 PM
Jon P, you had to take a number and wait in line to get a box of primers? Wow. LGS might be higher, but I didn’t have to wait, just pulled the primers off the shelf, paid the man, done. Guess we lucky down here, at least we still have a few LGS in business. Plus, on a recent driving trip to Kentucky, the few Cabelas I passed, the parking lots were almost deserted! I don’t deal with them anymore.

Yes and if I didn't have a $25 gift card and was there to buy a sausage maker using the wife's points I sure wouldn't have. BTW: we used up my wife's points on her card and promptly canceled it.

dragon813gt
03-09-2019, 10:06 PM
ICapitol One has made it impossible for me to use their web site. They REQUIRE a text to be sent to a cell phone and there is No Cell Service Here. I spent over an hour on the phone and there Is No Solution.

MFA, Multi Factor Authentication, is only going to become more common. For any online banking it should be enabled. It’s orders of magnitude more secure. Any time I’m on my laptop but not logged into the company VPN and I want to use Outlook a code has to be sent to my phone so I can login.

W/ most companies you have the option of a text to your phone or an email. If I was only given the option of a text message I would switch companies. There are plenty that give 1% cash back. There are many that are 2% back w/ minimal to no annual fee. If you use a card for business purchases a card that offers 3%+ back covers the annual fee in short order.

leadman
03-09-2019, 10:09 PM
I had a lot of points so recently went to Cabela's to buy new hiking boots. Always had good luck there and boots lasted along time. This time had trouble finding boots that were not too narrow. Had to go to the wide versions, but bought one pair in standard width that felt ok in the store for the minute I had them on. Put them on at home and they felt like my toes were pointed up. The arch started under the heel. I took that pair back. Also the little strap on the back to stick you finger in to help pull the boot on is now about 3/8" long and totally worthless.
Prices have risen sharply and quality has slipped. Store was low on stock also.
Not much better around here at other stores either so pretty discussed with the whole "made in China" ****.

Tripplebeards
03-10-2019, 04:07 PM

I do the same. Over the years I have got a 64 gun safe, a POF P415, a beretta Nano, a garmin, a few scopes, a Ruger American, a Ruger 77/44, a Ruger American 22 WMR, and a few other guns and things I’ve forgot over the 20 years of completely by points and no cash out of pocket...an no lick of interest. I pay off my balance either instantly or by the week. Cabelas hates me.lol I buy everything on my card...I mean everything! A pack of gum, a bottle of pop, snacks, meals, groceries, bills, gas. I never carry cash. I average about $25/$40 or more in points per month. On the positive side it makes your credit score go through the roof by doing so. Thousands of dollars per month charged and all paid off.

I have a $120 in points right now sandbagged. I never use my points 99.9% of the time till something is on sale or your throwing your points away. I’ve been power shopping them for new boat seats for my little fishing boat to burn them up on.

The good part is...the only good part...is that bass pro price matches. Something Cabelas never did.

On a bad note I always print my end of year statement for tax purposes. It’s still possible...if you purchase a program now to get it to open which I don’t have.

I also don’t like the combo fliers they send out as well. If they want to keep cabelas alive imo bass pros name needs to stay as far away from it as possible. They would have been better off being a silent owner. It’s just another thing to keep me from making it my go to place. Let’s face it, everything there is double retail and always has been. I would but my all certain cabelas branded boots and outfitter Berber fleece there...which both are gone now. I agree bass pro screwed up with banishing the clothing and boot line.

There points are still good imo you just have to train yourself not to use them until there is a sale on what ever you want. My safe was $2900 on sale for $1200 when I pulled the trigger. The POF was normally $2398.00 and on sale for $1849.00. The garmin was sale priced $80 off retail. I got a $100 off the 77/44 because it was a floor model, and the Ruger American 22 WMR 22” barreled bolt rifle was discontinued and got it for $199.00 ... in points that is.

trapper9260
03-10-2019, 04:36 PM
I drop my CC at Cabelas after found out about Cap One. Glad I did for how things are going there. I get points with my bank card that I have my check account with and can pay it off on line from my check account. The last time I was in Cabelas was to get some shoes on sale. But check the powder part and they where going low. But had went to Scheels and they had it mainly all in stock and Win primers was lower then the other makes. Too bad to see a place like that go down like it is.

jwlegal
03-11-2019, 12:30 AM
Just read where Academy is on the border for bankruptcy. The younger generation is being raised on the computer and you can order anything you want on it. Course the problem is where you can ship your gun purchase as a lot of the local gun stores are struggling now as well. Funny thing I can find anything I want on the world wide web and have it shipped to the local pawn shop. And they charge a fifteen dollar handling fee. I know I need to support the lgs, but I also have to eat. When I can save a hundred dollars or more on a new gun, it's hard to remember that I like being in that lgs. I did discover that in many cases if I go to the lgs and tell them this is what I can get this particular gun for, they will often match it or maybe even do a little better. That keeps them handy for primers, powder, etc.
Trying to decide what to do with that hard earned dollar is difficult sometimes. ### I even try not to shop at the Kroger around the corner. Have to drive several miles to the next closest grocery store, but at least they have the latest gun magazine and don't use their considerable clout to try to enact new gun control.
Didn't mean to make this a book on the ills of corporate America, but I sure am concerned about the lack of folks who know how to use a gun. Went to help a neighbor, her ex had decided to try to break in. She had a single action 45 pointed at the door and did not know how to decock it without just pulling the trigger and making a loud noise. Nice lady. My wife plans to take her to the local range soon. How do we get the wisdom of the folks on this forum passed on to enough other folks to keep this country free?

Tripplebeards
03-12-2019, 11:27 AM
Just read where Academy is on the border for bankruptcy. The younger generation is being raised on the computer and you can order anything you want on it. Course the problem is where you can ship your gun purchase as a lot of the local gun stores are struggling now as well. Funny thing I can find anything I want on the world wide web and have it shipped to the local pawn shop. And they charge a fifteen dollar handling fee. I know I need to support the lgs, but I also have to eat. When I can save a hundred dollars or more on a new gun, it's hard to remember that I like being in that lgs. I did discover that in many cases if I go to the lgs and tell them this is what I can get this particular gun for, they will often match it or maybe even do a little better. That keeps them handy for primers, powder, etc.
Trying to decide what to do with that hard earned dollar is difficult sometimes. ### I even try not to shop at the Kroger around the corner. Have to drive several miles to the next closest grocery store, but at least they have the latest gun magazine and don't use their considerable clout to try to enact new gun control.
Didn't mean to make this a book on the ills of corporate America, but I sure am concerned about the lack of folks who know how to use a gun. Went to help a neighbor, her ex had decided to try to break in. She had a single action 45 pointed at the door and did not know how to decock it without just pulling the trigger and making a loud noise. Nice lady. My wife plans to take her to the local range soon. How do we get the wisdom of the folks on this forum passed on to enough other folks to keep this country free?

I’ve learned from buying things over the net through the years that 99.9% of what you are buying are seconds, bless, refurbished, or used and sold NIB. The last 5/6 guns brand new and pistols I’ve bought power shopping off the net have had scratches, blueing missing, and screwed up stocks. If I’m buying used off the net I’d expect it. I’ve bought used in better shape off the net in years past. Bought a few things off eBay cheap that turn out to be Chinese knock offs as well.

Tripplebeards
03-12-2019, 07:31 PM
I just blew all my points again! A pair if boat seats that were normally $99.99 ea on sale for $59 each with free two day shipping. I have to stop going through my points quickly and keep sandbagging them for firepower again. Firgured id use the seats more than another gun collecting dust in my safe anyways. Once again, if it’s on sale is the only way to get ahead with their points or your just throwing them away.