PDA

View Full Version : another newbee question

pahandgunhunter
10-15-2008, 07:38 PM
Is it possible to cast the top of the bullet with a soft alloy then the base with another harder alloy? Like, if you had two bottom pour furnaces going and could pour both quickly. Would it work?

Thanks,

Bill

targetshootr
10-15-2008, 07:43 PM
It would be better to use a small dipper to pour the same amount of soft lead first and then harder stuff from the bottom spout of your pot. A search will turn up similar threads.

Buckshot
10-16-2008, 12:24 AM
....................Check out this thread: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=11749

pahandgunhunter, welcome to the board!

..............Buckshot

Hardcast416taylor
10-16-2008, 02:59 PM
I learned many years ago this method. Select a small empty cartridge, case size dictates size of soft point. Braze a heavy copper wire handle to the case. Have a small pot of soft lead next to your pot of hard lead. Dip the case in soft lead then pour into your hot mould and quickly follow with the hard lead. The leads fuse together forming a softpoint cast bullet. Some may not look so pretty, but they still work! I have done this method with my .44 mag., .45 Long Colt and a friends .41 mag. I should have tried this method on my .357 mag., but the boolit dia. is kinda small for this for me. I learned this trick from a much older shooter that was around when 1900 was only a day old. He`s long since gone, but I`m still using this method of softpoint making of his.

Shotgun Luckey
10-16-2008, 03:11 PM
sounds like a good method Hardcast!!!

Wayne Smith
10-16-2008, 04:59 PM
Keep your mold very hot so the soft lead stays molten when you pour in the harder and lighter lead. It will float on top of the soft lead and there will be a very thin area where they mix.