PDA

View Full Version : So.....Set My Cellphone On Fire

jonp
03-03-2019, 05:31 PM
I dropped my Galaxy S7 some time ago and broke the camera which sucked as it was a new phone. I need a camera for my job taking pictures of trailers, tires etc so I took the SIM card out and tried to put it in a spare Blu Tank we have. Great phone, BTW. Waterproof, shockproof, dustproof, great for the money as a backup. I managed to push the SIM in under the slot and it disappeared. Darn...

Well, I took it upstairs to my reloading bench, got out my small tools, turned on the spotlight and set to work. 8 screws for the back to come off. Got that done and looked at the battery. Have to take that out of the way so put a small screwdriver under it and pried it up and that's when the excitement started.

The battery burst into flames and not just up but shooting out the side like a flamethrower. I jumped up and started to try and bat at the flames with a rag but it kept flaming. 1ft flames out the side and into the air. The ammo I had just reloaded was sitting a foot away so I began to get concerned. ;)

Luckily, the table is an old kitchen table that is covered with ceramic tiles so it didn't burn. The mat I got from Mary melted, the cutting board I use to do various stuff got some singe marks in the process and the room filled with smoke. Finally the phone stopped burning and I managed to move everything out of the way.

Meanwhile my wife was downstairs. She heard the commotion and yelled out "what the hell are you doing up there now" :holysheep. Odd she is used to me doing various stuff that either burns, explodes or makes loud noises so doesn't get much concerned anymore.

Umm...."Nothing Honey"... I picked up the phone with a pair of vice grips and brought it down. She just looked at the charred remains, gave me
THE LOOK and went back to knitting a sweater. BTW this reaction is why I married her in the first place.

I just ordered a new phone, SIM card as that one kinda melted and gave up for the day as I had already destroyed an electric planer while trying to level a floor.

My Sweetheart: " Just go get a beer out of the fridge, get a book and sit down away from everything. You've destroyed enough for one day"

Hickory
03-03-2019, 05:35 PM
The fumes from that burning battery couldn't have been good to breath.

nicholst55
03-03-2019, 05:38 PM
Wow! That might be exciting. That's also why I have fire extinguishers located throughout my house.

SvenLindquist
03-03-2019, 06:31 PM
iPhones don't explode and burn.

It cuda been in your new SUV !

https://www.cultofmac.com/444729/exploding-galaxy-note-7-wipes-family-jeep/

mattw
03-03-2019, 06:52 PM
Please see you doc, if anything is not right. Lithium ion battery fires are very toxic to your lungs.

MaryB
03-03-2019, 07:29 PM
Which mat? I have a smaller laser and I can try to run one to replace it... theyaren't fireproof LOL sorry!

Never bend a lithium battery, it shorts it internally and they burn.

jonp
03-03-2019, 07:52 PM
Which mat? I have a smaller laser and I can try to run one to replace it... theyaren't fireproof LOL sorry!

Never bend a lithium battery, it shorts it internally and they burn.

The AR 15 Mat. I bought two so I have a back-up!

nagantguy
03-03-2019, 08:04 PM
Had the same thing happen on a long run with my phone in a belly band, to track distances and play music and call the cavalry if I done gave out, very interesting indeed

eric123
03-03-2019, 08:13 PM
Many days I have wanted to light my phone on fire. Usually after a call or text from the EX...

NyFirefighter357
03-03-2019, 09:46 PM
Mary said it "Never bend a lithium battery, it shorts it internally and they burn." lithium batteries are volatile. https://youtu.be/z-KTZzG9-ZE

MrHarmless
03-03-2019, 10:15 PM
Lithium batteries are phenomenal within their performance envelope. Bends, cuts, and shorts... any sort of exposure to oxygen. No bueno. It's pretty much their only downside. People like to ride them because of the precipitous voltage dropoff and potential damage to long term storage ability when they're out of juice, but a safety circuit for voltage cutoff is cheap and easy.

Land Owner
03-03-2019, 10:32 PM
Learn something unique on Castboolits every day.

lightman
03-03-2019, 11:00 PM
Wow! You have had quite a day. Glad you are ok. I didn't know that about Lithium batteries. Now are you going to tell us about the planer?

Bmi48219
03-03-2019, 11:11 PM
Beats the heck out of me dropping a company Blackberry in the pool.

fiberoptik
03-04-2019, 12:02 AM
Mine fell into toilet [emoji372] after taking a dump!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hogtamer
03-04-2019, 12:19 AM
The remnant will make a good 300 yd target. Shoot it a couple of times and give it a decent burial!

fast ronnie
03-04-2019, 12:24 AM
A couple of years ago, I was at a race and the batteries (2) 12 volt deals went dead, so borrowed a couple of Lithium lightweight ones for the tow bike. We had another race coming up so left them in the bike for that race. Got the bike out of the trailer and discovered the batteries had gone dead. I pulled them out to charge them and found the bottoms had melted out of the bottoms of both of them. Those batteries were $200 EACH, and were borrowed. The guy has sponsored me in the past, and would not let me pay for them.

That was the last time I used one. I think that when they work, they are great, but when things go wrong????

Now I have a cell phone as of a couple of months ago. Go figure!!!!!!!!!

MrHarmless
03-04-2019, 01:19 AM
The remnant will make a good 300 yd target. Shoot it a couple of times and give it a decent burial!

I'd highly advise against shooting electronics. A lot of them have heavy metals in them which are terrible for the environment and animals. Those heavy metals will vaporize when a boolit punches a hole in them and carry with the wind.

Johnch
03-04-2019, 10:23 PM
LOL Never had a cell phone or the battery start on fire or short out
But when I could still work

I totaled 2 company Flip style cell phones by dropping them ....I swear the one was not my falt LOL
The one I dropped 20' still looked ok , but it made noise when you shook it and only worked 50% of the time
The other , The Owner was "Helping" me and he didn't want to tie up his phone
So he ask to use mine

HE Sort of dropped it 3 stories off of the side of a building onto the blacktop below

He looked at me and told me to sign out a new phone when I got back to the shop that evening
As he figured that one wouldn't work

I did sweep up the remains before leaving for the day
Put the "Parts" in a bag and put the bag on his desk

The "Parts" were given to several workers as a "New" company cell phone
Normally after using their company cell phone while at home or off work

John

Peregrine
03-05-2019, 12:54 AM
I'd highly advise against shooting electronics. A lot of them have heavy metals in them which are terrible for the environment and animals. Those heavy metals will vaporize when a boolit punches a hole in them and carry with the wind.

God forbid anyone on this site do something that distributes heavy metals. :lol:

lightman
03-05-2019, 11:23 AM
Mine fell into toilet [emoji372] after taking a dump!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can beat that story! A few years ago a member of my deer club dropped his phone in the outhouse. He came back to the house wanting help to tip the outhouse over so he could go fishing. I'm like "Dude, Really"!

lightman
03-05-2019, 11:27 AM
LOL Never had a cell phone or the battery start on fire or short out
But when I could still work

I totaled 2 company Flip style cell phones by dropping them ....I swear the one was not my falt LOL
The one I dropped 20' still looked ok , but it made noise when you shook it and only worked 50% of the time
The other , The Owner was "Helping" me and he didn't want to tie up his phone
So he ask to use mine

HE Sort of dropped it 3 stories off of the side of a building onto the blacktop below

He looked at me and told me to sign out a new phone when I got back to the shop that evening
As he figured that one wouldn't work

I did sweep up the remains before leaving for the day
Put the "Parts" in a bag and put the bag on his desk

The "Parts" were given to several workers as a "New" company cell phone
Normally after using their company cell phone while at home or off work

John

As a Lineman I have dropped a few myself. One of them probably survived the fall but not not the Soccer Mom in the Suburban that was probably talking on hers!

marek313
03-05-2019, 11:43 AM
Couple years ago I had Lithium ion battery from my RC chopper short and turn into a flame thrower like that. It burns until its done and there is nothing that will stop it. You were lucky it didnt explode because they tend to do that as well.

Whoever comes up with new battery that stores more then Lithium based batteries in a safer package is going to be a very rich person. Car manufacturers will buy them all up in a second.

Electric cars are great but the problem always was lack of capacity or miles per charge. Once we get better batteries nobody is going to use combustion engine in a car.

Conditor22
03-05-2019, 01:00 PM
You guys are missing the important part! -- jonp, does your wife have a sister?

Mal Paso
03-05-2019, 09:12 PM
Wow, They are getting serious about Tamper Resistance. Fire????

Makes Apple bricking phones seam mild. LOL

jsizemore
03-05-2019, 09:30 PM
Electric cars are great but the problem always was lack of capacity or miles per charge. Once we get better batteries nobody is going to use combustion engine in a car.

Not as long as gasoline is available.

MaryB
03-05-2019, 10:10 PM
Lithium car battery going into thermal runaway...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdDi1haA71Q