PDA

View Full Version : Bullet feeder

trixter
03-03-2019, 12:25 PM
Several years ago when I had a progressive press, I had purchased an RCBS bullet feeder die. It came with the different feeder cones and in the instructions, it says it will not work with lead boolits. I think that the lube probably goops it up and does not allow the boolits to slide through the feeder cone. Today while I am waiting for it to warm up a little, I decided to disprove the instructions. I set it up on my Lee Classic Cast Turret press. I adjusted it and filled the tube with lead boolits. They are 9mm 127gr round nose. These were coated with Lee Liquid Alox last spring and put into a glass jar for storage. I loaded up the tube and commenced to load rounds, as the tube got down to 3 or 4 boolits left, the weight was not enough to push the rest through the feed cone, I had to help those a little with an aluminium cleaning rod. When I finish these 'aloxed' boolits and clean everything up and start on my powder coated boolits it will work perfectly.
I had to remove my Lee Factory Crimp die, but I learned a long time ago to crimp with the bullet seating die, so setting it up for that was simple, just adjusting to the proper setting. My LCC turret press is also equipped with the Inline Fabrication reverse rotation round ejection system, So now all I have to do is insert empty case, and a primer and pull the handle several time. Wow, I love this hobby.

DAFzipper
03-03-2019, 03:54 PM
I never had any luck with the RCBS Bullet feeder die. Went with a mini mr bullet feeder. Way easier to set up and functions well with different length bullets.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

Lloyd Smale
03-04-2019, 07:25 AM
I looked at them but are you really saving time when you have to load the tubes by hand anyway and have to stop after a 100 rounds and reload them again?
I never had any luck with the RCBS Bullet feeder die. Went with a mini mr bullet feeder. Way easier to set up and functions well with different length bullets.

BNE
03-04-2019, 07:32 AM
I looked at them but are you really saving time when you have to load the tubes by hand anyway and have to stop after a 100 rounds and reload them again?

YES, the Mr. bullet feeder is great. Time is dramatically reduced even if you are loading each bullet into the tube individually. You can pretty easily set up a tube over your resizing press to catch the bullets as they are sized. You can then pull this tube and let he Bullets drop into the mini MR. Bullet feeder. I highly recommend trying it.

DAFzipper
03-04-2019, 08:04 AM
It may save a little time. For me I like that I can concentrate on the rest of the loading process to watch for hung primers, powder drop ect. I fill the tubes whenever I feel like it. Besides I'm a gadget guy. My volume of rounds does not justify the cost of a colater. Some day may be I'll try to make one. I'll already have the feeder die.

kmw1954
03-05-2019, 04:27 AM
Wow I just came upon this topic by accident as I was searching for RCBS Bullet feeder die. Never would have thought of looking in the Cast Boolits sub forum as I mostly look in the reloading forum.

Anyways I have one coming this week to try using in my new Lee Auto Breech Lock Pro press for 9mm and 380. I bought the press because I needed the 4th position for the FCD to use for my 45acp loads. But since I've been using this press I've gotten use to it and because I load 9mm and 380 on a Pro1000 press using just the normal 3-die set dies I thought about adding a powder lock out die until I seen the bullet feed dies and thought that may be more advantageous. Being as the 3rd station where the bullet is added in at the rear of the press this would eliminate reaching around the press.

I tried the Hornady bullet feed die and just couldn't get it to work. Hoping this one will fair better. Then if this works and I like the way it performs I may make the switch to the Mini Mr.Bullet Feeder, but at present I'm not willing to drop $100.00 until I feel it's worth the investment.

Lloyd Smale
03-05-2019, 09:00 AM
that's a good idea..
YES, the Mr. bullet feeder is great. Time is dramatically reduced even if you are loading each bullet into the tube individually. You can pretty easily set up a tube over your resizing press to catch the bullets as they are sized. You can then pull this tube and let he Bullets drop into the mini MR. Bullet feeder. I highly recommend trying it.

trixter
03-05-2019, 03:05 PM
The reason I like the RCBS bullet feeder: no moving parts to adjust or fiddle with.

6bg6ga
04-10-2019, 06:52 AM

You purchase two bullet feeder magazines. One is loaded on the machine ready to go and the other is sitting there empty. You ask the wife, girl friend, mistress, or gay boy friend to load the empty magazine....problem solved as you always have a full magazine ready to go. My wife is more than happy to load my empty Mr. Bullet feeder bullet magazine because she knows I am making ammunition that she can share or better yet probably shoot all on her own.

6bg6ga
04-11-2019, 06:14 AM

I have three different calibers of RCBS bullet feeders. They work ok and that is a just ok as long as plated or jacketed bullets are used. To be blunt they are extremely cheap consisting of plastic internals that wear and break easily and require precise adjustment. As much as I think the Mr. Bullet feeder dropper assemblies are overpriced for what they are they are simple consisting of a machined internals and three ball bearings. Nothing to break and possibly a ball bearing replacement 50K rounds out there. My Mr. Bulletfeeder 45acp dropper will drop lead sized and lubed bullets with a cleanup of its internals about 500 rounds into a run. Bing one to anticipate a bearing replacement sometime out there I have already purchased a lifetime supply of 500 of the little bearings so I have them on hand.

kmw1954
04-11-2019, 09:38 AM
In regards to my post in #6, I have an RCBS Tube Feed Die that I have had now since the beginning of March and I guess I have a different perspective on this tool.

Yes it has plastic parts internally and yes I damaged one already but when I got it I put it in the press and adjusted it per the directions and it just plain worked. Which is much more than I can say for the Hornady model which is all metal. I never did get it to work more than a few bullets at a time. With the RCBS Die after the first tube of bullets it worked flawlessly and dropped every bullet down to the last 3 and then there just wasn't enough weight involved to drop the last 3. I didn't find the adjustment difficult or finicky and once adjusted it stayed adjusted.

Also I didn't buy and install this to aide in production speed but more to aide in the overall ease of using the press which in this case is the new Lee ABLP. Then as I recall the tube will hold 42 115gr RN 9mm, 46 115gr FP 9mm or 56 100gr Xtreme FP 380.

45-70 Chevroner
04-11-2019, 11:20 AM
I guess I'm old school, well I'm old too. I just like the feel of putting the boolits in position to seat, also when I use Lee liquid alox I wipe the base of every boolits on a piece of low knap carpet.
I forgot to add that I load with a RL 550B for 44 and 45 colt. I also have a Square Deal for 38 and 357. I can average about 350 per hour with the 550B, and about the same with the Square Deal.

kmw1954
04-11-2019, 11:42 AM
I guess I'm old school, well I'm old too. I just like the feel of putting the boolits in position to seat, also when I use Lee liquid alox I wipe the base of every boolits on a piece of low knap carpet.

Nothin wrong with that one bit! Old School, new school, makes no difference as long as you're enjoying yourself!

Conditor22
04-11-2019, 12:31 PM
I've used the Lee MULTI-TUBE FEEDER https://leeprecision.com/multi-tube-feeder.html 4 tubes $20 prime
for years, I have it on my DIY semiauto upsidedown boolit sizing "machine".