PDA

View Full Version : Late model Tacoma owners

buggybuilder
03-02-2019, 01:25 PM
I have a 2004 Tacoma 4 cyl 5 speed.
I'm thinking about buying a new or newer model Tacoma. Mileage is a big concern as to getting a 4 cyl or 6 cyl, also considering an automatic transmisson. What kind of "honest" mileage are you fellows getting?

falmike
03-02-2019, 10:40 PM
2015 V6 with Automatic. If I am careful and mainly highway, 28 MPG. Having fun and all around average, 22 MPG.

irishtoo
03-02-2019, 11:18 PM
i had a 2004 4 cyl automatic and i was getting 19miles/gal. i bought a 2016 v6 auto toyota tacoma on the interstates i got a max of 24 mpg.
it was explained as a better power to weight ratio. love that truck. irishtoo

osteodoc08
03-02-2019, 11:27 PM
Things have changed a bunch since 2004. Definitely can’t go wrong with a new Taco.

Omega
03-03-2019, 12:44 AM
You guys are getting much better mileage than I am. Mine is a 2010, 6cyl 4x4, I can barely get 16 or 17 MPG, on a mix of city and hwy driving. I pull my travel trailer, and it knocks it down to 8 MPG.

wildwilly
03-03-2019, 02:27 AM
My 2007 V-6 Tacoma (mfg'd in Mexico) averages 18mpg....never got to the 22mpg listed. It's got 69K miles on it now. It's been a very reliable truck.

white cloud
03-03-2019, 07:56 AM
I wish they made a diesel Taco for the U.S. market.

Gar
03-03-2019, 09:54 AM
I've got a 2017 TRD V6, automatic. Can average 21mpg on the road but add in some off-road or 4-wheeling and I'm looking at 15mpg.
This is my sixth Tacoma, all the ones before this one were 4cyl and they were fine on mileage (24-26mpg) so long as I did haul anything in the bed.

mac60
03-03-2019, 10:11 AM
I had a 2018 Tacoma SR5 V6 (just traded in for a Chevy Silverado). The Tacoma was a good little truck (little is the key word there). It averaged 22-24 mpg depending on what kind of driving I was doing.

trebor44
03-03-2019, 11:37 AM
I started in the Toy world with a 1976, 2 wheel drive, long bed. Loved that truck but traded for Fix Or Repair Daily - and it was. First FWD was an 89, V6 standard bed and cab salvage Tacoma that is still on the road today and it got 24-28 mpg highway and avg 22 around town. After several more Tacoma's, I am driving a 2004 Tundra, large V-8, 2WD and only getting an avg of 18 mpg between highway and town. But it is all metal (mostly). I would suggest looking at the Toyota forums for more answers to your question. Lots of factors contribute to fuel mileage.

Petrol & Powder
03-03-2019, 12:49 PM
I have a 2004 Tacoma 4 cyl 5 speed.
I'm thinking about buying a new or newer model Tacoma. Mileage is a big concern as to getting a 4 cyl or 6 cyl, also considering an automatic transmission. What kind of "honest" mileage are you fellows getting?

I have a nearly identical 4WD Tacoma with a 4 cylinder and 5 speed manual. I get 22 miles to the gallon BUT that's running non-ethanol gasoline.
I check almost every time I get fuel and the mileage is pretty consistent. With the normal gasoline/ethanol blend that mileage drops to 20 MPG. The difference in cost between those two fuels makes the difference in price a complete wash; the non-ethanol fuel costs more but delivers more miles to the gallon. I've done the math repeatedly and I get the same result every time.
Because that truck isn't a daily driver I prefer to use the non-ethanol fuel in it for the benefit of better fuel storage life. As a plus, I've had ZERO fuel system problems with the non-ethanol gasoline.

All of that being said, stepping up to a V-6 and switching to an automatic transmission is going to result in a decrease in fuel mileage but probably not a significant drop. The larger displacement V-6 will burn more fuel but it doesn't have to work as hard to make the needed power, so a lot comes down to how hard you drive it. The automatic vs. manual transmission isn't as big of a fuel mileage issue as it was in the past. Current automatic transmissions are almost as fuel efficient as manuals are. They are electronically controlled, have far more ratios (gears) than in the past and they have overdrive ratios for the top gears and sometimes even more than one overdrive ratio.

But that's not the end of the story when it come to economics.
The V-6 engine has two more spark plugs, at least 4 more valves (sometimes 8 more), more camshafts, more complex timing chains, 1 more exhaust manifold, two more coil packs, etc., etc. THE V-6 IS A MORE COMPLEX ENGINE AND COSTS MORE TO MAINTAIN OVER THE LIFE OF THE VEHICLE.

The 2.7 liter 4 cylinder is not only a more economical engine in terms of fuel mileage, it is also cheaper to maintain over the life of the engine.

If you need the extra power provided by those two extra cylinders and addition displacement - get the V-6. There's no substitute for cubic inches (cubic centimeters ? ;) ) If you haul heavy loads, drive in the mountains, tow things; get the bigger engine.
If you don't need that additional power - get the 4 cylinder.

Reloading Rod
03-03-2019, 05:44 PM
I get about 20 to 22 mpg in my 2016 Tacoma, its auto and 4 wheel drive. I do like it.

jonp
03-03-2019, 06:06 PM
I've had a couple of Tacoma's and they are darn near bulletproof. However, are you aware that the F150 Ecoboost will get better mileage?

Deadeye Bly
03-03-2019, 06:08 PM
I've got a 2010 4 cyl 2 wheel drive extended cab with automatic trans and I've averaged 24 mpg for the 5 years I've had it. The best I ever got was 27 on a trip and in cold weather it drops off to about 22 mpg. Go to fuelly.com and check them out. You get actual results from folks with the kind of vehicle you want and the kind of driving you do.

Rufus Krile
03-03-2019, 11:53 PM
Have had a 2017 Tacoma V6 (made in San Antonio) for about a year now... gets approx 24mpg between here and Austin @ 80mph. Has more horsepower and torque than my Silverado ('06) small V8. My only complaint with it is that it came with factory-supplied running boards that I have to step OVER to get in the truck. Wife likes them so...

Elkins45
03-04-2019, 10:00 PM
Thread drift—sorry. I’ve owned five Toyota trucks ranging from 1981 to 2000 and loved them all. All had manual transmissions and four of the five had a four cylinder engine. I was recently on the Toyota website and discovered they don’t even make a 4x4 with a manual and a four cylinder.

Most trucks these days aren’t really even trucks, they are just ugly cars with exposed trunks. Makes me sad you can’t buy a small regular cab 4x4 from anyone anymore.

Arkansas Paul
03-05-2019, 01:50 AM
Mine is a 2012 pre-Runner 4 cylinder. I bought it brand new and it now has 109,000 miles on it.
I average 20-21 mpg on the highway. I thought it would be a little better, but that's what I'm getting.

Petrol & Powder
03-05-2019, 07:40 AM
Thread drift—sorry. I’ve owned five Toyota trucks ranging from 1981 to 2000 and loved them all. All had manual transmissions and four of the five had a four cylinder engine. I was recently on the Toyota website and discovered they don’t even make a 4x4 with a manual and a four cylinder.

Most trucks these days aren’t really even trucks, they are just ugly cars with exposed trunks. Makes me sad you can’t buy a small regular cab 4x4 from anyone anymore.

Going along with your thread drift - YES ! it's sad but trucks have become 4 door SUV's with an exposed trunk ! That is an accurate description.

When I went in search of my Tacoma, my criteria was = 4WD, 4 cylinder, manual transmission.

I think (but I'm not sure) you can still special order a standard cab Tacoma with a 4 cylinder & a manual transmission, but you can't do it from the website. Don't quote me on that.

osteodoc08
03-05-2019, 11:24 AM
I kinda like all the creature comforts of my SUV. I have 4WD when I need it and if need something more hard core I've got my ATV and side x side. The new tacomas are quite nice. I'd prefer a full size for the money however. New vehicle prices have become ridiculous.

10x
03-05-2019, 12:17 PM
I started in the Toy world with a 1976, 2 wheel drive, long bed. Loved that truck but traded for Fix Or Repair Daily - and it was. First FWD was an 89, V6 standard bed and cab salvage Tacoma that is still on the road today and it got 24-28 mpg highway and avg 22 around town. After several more Tacoma's, I am driving a 2004 Tundra, large V-8, 2WD and only getting an avg of 18 mpg between highway and town. But it is all metal (mostly). I would suggest looking at the Toyota forums for more answers to your question. Lots of factors contribute to fuel mileage.

My 2011 Tundra will get up to 26 MPG on the highway if I keep it at 60 mph or less and back off the gas a tetch going up long hills.
Mixed driving - town mostly and some highway 15 mpg. 5.7 liter engine too.
In the 9 years I have driven (120,000 miles) it I have yet to take it back to the dealer for any work - warrantee or otherwise.
Known problems - rear leaf springs break - they came from the same jobber than made Chev leaf springs for a few years,
And the AC pump will quit. Apparently they have a life span.
Other than that it has been turn signal bulb replacement. I have replaced the front turn signal bulbs three times now, and carry spares.
I expect to drive it another 200,000 miles if I can live long enough.