PDA

View Full Version : Cloudy kerosene.

BigAlofPa.
02-28-2019, 08:17 PM
I have kerosene lamps and the kerosene gets cloudy when using them at random. And then the wick gets funky and the room gets foggy. Anyone ever come across something like this? I been using lamps for years this is a new occurrence for me.

Winger Ed.
02-28-2019, 08:31 PM
It might be old.
Like old gasoline or paint thinner, the 'goodies' can get stale or evaporate out of it over time.

Rattlesnake Charlie
02-28-2019, 08:43 PM
It could also have some bacteria living in it. Diesel is noted for that. Kerosene ain't far off.

historicfirearms
02-28-2019, 08:47 PM
It's moisture. When I managed an airport I had to do daily fuel inspections on the jet fuel. Jet fuel is pretty close to kerosene. One of the tests was a clarity test to check for water. We also had water detection paste and if the fuel was cloudy then the paste always showed water.

Keep your kerosene in a temperature controlled environment if possible and tightly sealed. Full containers are also better than half full ones to help slow condensation.

Hogdaddy
02-28-2019, 09:04 PM
It's moisture. When I managed an airport I had to do daily fuel inspections on the jet fuel. Jet fuel is pretty close to kerosene. One of the tests was a clarity test to check for water. We also had water detection paste and if the fuel was cloudy then the paste always showed water.

Keep your kerosene in a temperature controlled environment if possible and tightly sealed. Full containers are also better than half full ones to help slow condensation.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^
Is most likely ; )
H/D

BigAlofPa.
02-28-2019, 09:10 PM
I was thinking moisture too. Going to buy lower amounts. 5 gallons last a long time lol. Thanks everyone.

FLINTNFIRE
02-28-2019, 10:57 PM
I was buying it in bulk for the kerosene heaters , but old one died and newer one looked the same but did not last long , use some in a kerosene lantern still and rest goes into a jug with a little waste oil for starting fire in stove and of course eds red bore cleaner . I believe the water is the source of it also and I have seen the growths in diesel , use a biocide additive and then change filters on the main engines frequently .

BigAlofPa.
02-28-2019, 11:19 PM
Yeah when i used a kerosene heater i went though it faster. I'll start getting a gallon at a time. Also been getting at a new place to me. All the other places that had it. Stopped selling it. Even the sheetz did when they remodeled. Walmart has it in store but it's expensive.

NyFirefighter357
02-28-2019, 11:28 PM
Add about a tsp of denatured alcohol to the full kero lamp it should burn off the water. They say never to store Kero for more than 3 months. I've used kero in sealed containers that was still clear 10yrs later.

georgerkahn
02-28-2019, 11:34 PM
As camp is off-grid, pretty much all light comes from kerosene. I'd agree with other posters re moisture. You might want to put a lamp with clear font outdoors in cold -- if it separates, or "layers", moisture is definitely the culprit. I have had good luck with the kerosene replacement they sell at Lowes and Home Depot. The best, of course, is the stuff branded, and sold by Aladdin. We have three Aladdin lamps indoor at camp. and a railroad caboose one near door outside, and the Aladdin brand stuff not only stays clear, but burns inside with neither stink nor soot. Lehman's -- https://www.lehmans.com/search?w=Aladdin+lamp+oil -- is where I buy mine. A tad costly, so it seems, but if you factor in the cost of replacing mantles, and/or wicks, versus having them last and last using the Aladdin branded oil -- it is almost (no such thing as a free lunch ;) ) bargain.
geo

bob208
03-01-2019, 02:35 PM
the quality of kerosene had detreated over the years. I was having problems with our heater. I did a web search and found kero-klean got it at lowe's. one bottle will do 60 gal.

I tried in our the last 2 nights. the wick is burning cleaner heater is easier to light no smoke. it was worth the $5.00.

NyFirefighter357
03-02-2019, 12:05 AM
Kero Klean is Methyl alcohol which is also known as Methanol or wood alcohol with a scent.

rancher1913
03-02-2019, 01:23 AM
thats good to know, got access to all the methanol I want for free, we use it to clear ice dams in gas pipelines.

mold maker
03-02-2019, 12:05 PM
I bet without the alcohol in today's gasoline, it would look like milk. Just another way to sell an inferior product at a higher price.

jonp
03-02-2019, 05:41 PM
It could also have some bacteria living in it. Diesel is noted for that. Kerosene ain't far off.

Indeed. There are several products to add to diesel that prevents this and kerosene would most likely need some if stored for some time or was contaminated in the first place.

I have used this https://powerservice.com/psp_product/bio-kleen-diesel-fuel-biocide/ with some success.

If you have diesel or kerosene that is cloudy it most likely came from the source so clean your stuff up and get your kerosene elsewhere

Duckiller
03-02-2019, 06:27 PM
Jet Fuel is REALLY clean kerosene. You can use jet fuel in your kerosene lamps but don't use kerosene in your jet plane. It will clog the injector nozzles

BigAlofPa.
03-02-2019, 06:41 PM
I put this in the kerosene before. But it didn't help. It has methanol in it. But maybe not enough? Im going to check out the Kero Klean.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Klean-Strip-Kerosene-Additive-Pine-Scent-8-oz/32467934

dragon813gt
03-02-2019, 07:56 PM
Jet Fuel is REALLY clean kerosene. You can use jet fuel in your kerosene lamps but don't use kerosene in your jet plane. It will clog the injector nozzles

Jet fuel has anti-gelling agents and other chemicals in it. I would not use it in a lamp on a constant basis. W/ the price of it I don’t see many people doing it.

NyFirefighter357
03-02-2019, 11:12 PM
I have a customer who uses jet fuel to heat his house with an oil burner, he works at the airport.

gwpercle
03-03-2019, 10:42 AM
Are you using K-1 Kerosene ? K-1 is made for lamps, stoves and indoor heaters , higher refined for less smoking and low odor. The bulk kerosene at the hardware store isn't K-1 it works in lamps but the K-1 is cleaner burning. My first thought is moisture , it might be absorbing it from the atmosphere or could be picking it up in the bulk oil tank at the hardware store.
Try a K-1 marked can , wally mart sells it , or a different distributor with a clean tank.
I've taken to using K-1 in lamps because the bulk kerosene seems to have degraded in quality.
Gary,
hurricane lamps used in hurricane country ...La.

BigAlofPa.
03-03-2019, 01:03 PM
Im not sure if its K-1. The pump just says kerosene. The place that had K-1 closed. This is a foreign owned station. Used to be a uni-mart. I think it's a citgo now.

tja6435
03-03-2019, 02:03 PM
I've had nothing but poor results using pump kerosene vs jugs the hardware store sells. Pump is $2.80/gal and hardware store is around $12/gal. I have an old Aladdin heater, runs great with hardware store kerosene, but the pump kerosene destroys the wick in the heater before half the tank is burned. New wick, hardware kerosene and back to 100%.

Mal Paso
03-03-2019, 02:13 PM
I give up! I bought a 3 pack of LED lanterns for $20 at Costco. LOL

BigAlofPa.
03-03-2019, 09:11 PM
2.80 a gallon that's a steal. It's 4 and change here. I was getting some propane and there was a guy getting a couple gallons of heating oil. He said he uses it in his lamps in the house. Im not sure on that lol.