PDA

View Full Version : MP Molds.....

M.A.D
02-27-2019, 10:59 PM
Im throwing away my Lee Molds.. So, i was looking at MP Molds in Europe... Anyone got Pros/Cons on Quality compared to everyone elses?

rdwarrior
02-27-2019, 11:29 PM
I have a couple MP molds and love them. Another good mold - I like as well as MP is NOE molds. Both are priced about the same, both have excellent quality. I prefer the pin setup for HP on the MP molds but only by a small amount over the NOE molds. Hope this helps

midnight
02-27-2019, 11:47 PM
I have more than a dozen MP molds and like them more than any others. I think the Cramer style hollow point pin system is the best. You can make deep hollow points, shallow hollow points, cup points, penta hollow points or flat points using blank pins. All this variety from one mold. Plus the workmanship is top notch and prices don't break the bank.

Bob

kevin c
02-27-2019, 11:51 PM
I didn't throw away my Lee molds, but it's true that I haven't used them since I got my aluminum 8 cavity MP molds. Much better in my opinion (as a caster only in the past three years or so).

The only other molds I've used are Accurate 5 cavity aluminum molds. I'd say the MP molds and the Accurate molds are comparable in quality. Accurate is local, MP is in Slovenia. Ordering from stock on hand from Slovenia takes the same or less time than getting the molds made to order from Accurate's extensive list. Accurate's aluminum molds go up to five cavities, MP is up to eight.

No cons to either, in my book. I settled on the MP molds for the higher production.

Minerat
02-28-2019, 12:05 AM
I like my MP molds. Have mostly brass 4 cavity hp's. Just got a 8 cavity aluminum single 0 buck and it is very nice. You need to run the brass molds hotter then the AL. if you go that way. Mehi makes premium molds that are worth what you pay for them.

I have NOE molds too and can say they are just as nice. Many times Swead has them in stock if you don't want to wait on a group buy or MP is out of stock.

joebaja
02-28-2019, 12:32 AM
I don't have nearly as extensive a collection as some of the folks here, but I can wholeheartedly endorse MP molds. I have 3, all are excellent. On one occasion I ordered from Miha a couple of weeks after I placed an order from a domestic maker. The one I ordered from Slovenia got here first. I have heard tales of them taking a little longer to get through customs, but I haven't encountered that myself.

M.A.D
02-28-2019, 04:11 AM
Thank you everyone....

dragon813gt
02-28-2019, 07:10 AM
Don’t throw the Lee molds away. Wait until the next panic and sell them for a large profit on eBay. This way you can buy more custom molds.

rsrocket1
02-28-2019, 03:28 PM
You can send the Lee molds to me. Wrap them up, put them in a large flat rate box and PM me with your mailing address. I'll send you a USPS MO for the postage.

Oops. I just saw your profile. Just throw them into the ocean and feed the fish with 'em.

stubshaft
02-28-2019, 03:35 PM
Mihec makes a wonderful mold I have a number of them. Although my favorite is still LBT.

edwin41
03-16-2019, 12:39 PM
In my opinion there is no better mold on the market today than the MP molds!

fatnhappy
03-16-2019, 12:51 PM
they're top shelf. Back in the dark old days of custom mould purchases on this board, we were stuck with lee moulds as the only company that really wanted a custom business. There were of course problems, tolerance acceptance up to +.003, bullet length restrictions and of course... long production waits. We had one buy for the fatter .30 that we placed, my daughter was conceived and born waiting for the group buy to deliver.

Then DJ got NEI to agree to a group buy 311284. That went over like a fart in church. Walt had already passed and the business was run by clowns sans a machinist.

Soon thereafter NOE and Miha ventured onto the scene and we've been blessed ever since. Exceeding high quality, service and reasonable waits. Toss in a willingness to offer options on a basic design....

Miha makes a mould as close to perfect as he can. Buy one and you won't regret it.

mart
03-16-2019, 01:26 PM
My favorite for a long time was LBT but while I still love my LBT molds, the MP molds have become my favorite. The versatility of having a HP/Solid mold and the quality have won me over. I have a dozen or more and am in several more group buys for more. I like NOE molds for the same reason, versatility.

However, if one wants only a solid bullet mold, you will go a long way to beat Mountain Molds or Accurate Molds. I have a few from both and they are superb. And very fast turn around time on your order. I have several Arsenal molds and like them as well. Shoot, I even still have a few old Lyman molds.

I don't use a lot of Lee molds but if you have one that casts a bullet you like I'd keep it. One of my favorite 480 bullets is from a 6 cavity Lee mold for a 400 grain SWC.

Getting back to MP Molds, they are one of the best. You'll not regret getting one of theirs.

Green Frog
03-16-2019, 02:16 PM
I got my first MP mould in a group buy that was just wrapping up, so it came in fast and was jewel-like in its manufacture. My second one came from another group buy that dragged on about forever, but once again the mould was great when I finally got it.

Froggie

RED BEAR
03-16-2019, 04:40 PM
I got a mp mold for my 25acp it is the best mold i own bar none.

alamogunr
03-16-2019, 06:18 PM
I've got several MP molds and they are excellent. But I've got several NOE molds in aluminum and I'm sure not going to get rid of them. I've only got one Accurate mold but, as of now, there will be more to come.

The OP brings up a good point. When do we admit that all those Lee 6 cavity(almost all of mine are the old GB molds) are just gathering dust and taking up shelf space? Although the OP didn't say his were GB molds.

Shuz
03-17-2019, 10:23 AM
I have a Lee 6C designated 44-225-FN. I bought it used from a board member. Since it is not in the Lee catalog, I'm assuming it was a Group Buy mould. It throws 6 nice boolits that have a weight spread of only 1.4g, average weight is 224.76g and they mic .432"!! What's not to like?

Burnt Fingers
03-17-2019, 01:06 PM
MP and NOE both make great molds.

One thing I've learned is that to skip the aluminum and get the brass. IMHO brass is the ultimate mold material. It holds heat very well and it doesn't rust.

jmort
03-17-2019, 02:26 PM
How much rust are you getting on your Aluminum molds?

Burnt Fingers
03-18-2019, 11:47 AM
How much rust are you getting on your Aluminum molds?

Rust is iron oxide. Aluminum rust is aluminum oxide and ALL aluminum forms a rust layer very quickly.

My comment was more towards iron molds which can start to rust during a casting session here in Texas.

Wayne Smith
03-19-2019, 07:53 AM
Not only is he a craftsman in the old school style, Mia Prevec is good people. He stands behind his product and does not let anyone go away unsatisfied, in my experience with him. Order in confidence.

rototerrier
03-19-2019, 08:52 AM
I only cast with Accurate and MP molds now. I also always purchase in 2's so I can run faster. I have a shelf of them now. Very impressed by both. Lee molds don't get my attention any longer unless I just want something cheap to test with. Dual cavity lee molds are just fine if you have experimenting to do. But once I decide I really want to cast in quantity, I either jump on a MP group buy or special order from Accurate. I also prefer the Cam style sprue plates, which accurate uses. MP's larger 8 cavity 9mm molds also have the cam style plates. I try to stick with those when at all possible. Just a personal preference I suppose.

davek8s
03-20-2019, 03:40 PM
I’m glad I came across this thread because I’m getting ready to upgrade my molds and melter.

I have always started with Lee equipment because it’s affordable. Then after I awhile I up my game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jayhawkhuntclub
03-20-2019, 05:38 PM
MPs are absolutely beautiful moulds. But as far a casting large amounts, I'd rather use a Lee. Maybe because the MPs that I own are brass. Brass takes forever to warm up and weighs a ton. But I won't be selling my MPs anytime soon.

RogerDat
03-20-2019, 06:13 PM
I have only used a couple of MP molds. Excellent quality certainly and at a very decent price. Miha is good person to do business with and has a first rate reputation for customer service that I concur with. I have more NOE molds and have been most pleased with them. Quality and proven designs, also with a solid and deserved reputation.

Most of my oversized, or odd weight bullets are from NOE they have good options for that mil-surp rifle or weight that will shoot well in your specific firearm. 303 british, 70 grain .223, 32 acp, hollow base 38 wad cutter are examples of molds that came from there.

MP is good for the 8 cavity bulk production, and as others have said the hollow point Kramer style is often preferred. I don't think I would be comfortable with the weight of an 8 cavity brass mold. Would also have a hard time figuring out why I would put up with the weight. Aluminum certainly works well, is it the best? Well it works and at a weight that I find manageable so how much "better" can one get?

Ah yes. Lee I have a fair number of these. The 6 cavity are much better than the 2 cavity. They do require some drilling and tapping for a counter sunk flat head screw where the steel cam from the sprue plate hits the aluminum mold body and a set screw against the bolt that is the hinge for the sprue plate. They work without those but the NOE and MP molds will have them and I consider them highly desirable. Thing is they have some really good designs, that provide either a 2 cavity to try for really cheap, or a pretty productive 6 cavity for when one desires a high volume turn out. The Lee bullet for SKS/AK is a proven winner and at $40 for a 6 cavity hard to beat. The 38 SWC tumble lube design is good also. The bore rider 8mm is good, is it the best? Not sure, but certainly good. Some decent 45 bullets too. Hard to beat being able to add a caliber for $20 to $40 dollars. Round ball I have no complaints either. Their molds seem good enough to qualify as basic transportation to get you loading for that caliber. I guess I need a "reason" to consider a non-Lee mold. The examples I sited above provide that reason.

I also like Lyman steel molds. Those are also in my budget only when they provide a caliber, weight, or profile that isn't as readily available in other molds. Examples are a 38 button nose wad cutter that matches case impingement of my regular 38 SWC or RN bullets. Same loads work, and yield nearly same pressures. Of course the wasp waisted shotgun slug mold, or the Minnie ball mold they have is excellent.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a mold from any of the three. Lee, MP, or NOE and would also buy Lyman or other steel molds if they offered what I desired. Just know what you are getting for your money in terms of materials and workmanship. Shop for who has what you want. Consider price and what qualifies as meeting your needs. I only load 44 mag for one of the kids, and a few for friend very rarely. Lee meets my needs for 44 mold at a price that works for that use case. I don't need a $90 mold for the couple hundred I'll make in a year. $20 dual cavity? Yep I'll spend that. When considering a mold purchase ask around. Often someone will have what you are considering and can help inform your decision.

I may try Accurate for a bullet I'm not seeing offered. Light 7.62 x 39 down around 135 grain. NOE has a nice mold at 150 grain so I may go with that. But I'm sure at some point I'll find a use case that makes giving Accurate a try the "right" choice.

Elkins45
03-20-2019, 06:36 PM
MP makes great molds and I own several, but I can’t do long casting sessions with the 4 cavity ones like I can the NOE or Lee gang molds unless I remember to take an anti-inflammatory pill the night before. Fortunately I can go thru a full pot of lead before I have to take a break, so it’s a problem I can live with.

You’ll never own a prettier mold, I can promise you that.

https://sites.google.com/site/elkinspix/_/rsrc/1502938100022/home/IMG_3112.JPG

Burnt Fingers
03-21-2019, 08:19 PM
MPs are absolutely beautiful moulds. But as far a casting large amounts, I'd rather use a Lee. Maybe because the MPs that I own are brass. Brass takes forever to warm up and weighs a ton. But I won't be selling my MPs anytime soon.

A hot plate is your friend.

Mal Paso
03-22-2019, 10:54 AM

A 4 cavity MP Brass mold weighs almost exactly the same as a Lyman 4 cavity Iron mold. Which is Nothing next to an 8 cavity H&G. Man up!

All this complaining about mold weight then you go fill them with lead. LOL

RED BEAR
03-22-2019, 11:32 AM
As i said i love my mp mold but i still use a lot of lee molds to because of arthritis in hands its easier for me to cast with a light mold

Boolseye
03-22-2019, 07:17 PM
I still use my Lee moulds, 401-175 TC and 356-120 TC are both excellent.
The .38 cal RF designs also work very well. I love NOE and the rest too, different kettle of fish.
Those moulds are like works of art.