PDA

View Full Version : Concealed carry/Firearms use legal protection

metricmonkeywrench
02-25-2019, 01:53 PM
Wandering around the local gun show this weekend we stopped at a booth and chatted with the gentleman for a bit about protections under the law for use of a firearm in self defense and the legal challenge thereafter. He was of course hawking his companies legal defense product, but as the wife and I discussed on the ride home we are ignorant on the comings and goings of todays litigious society and probably not well protected or covered for any firearm related incident. Even having the wrong gun in the wrong city/state can cause issues that can cost a lot for a legal defense. We currently do noy carry out of state for this reason (parents live in NY and in-laws live in Cali).

Most of the big gun outfits provide some sort of coverage and have received correspondence from all of them over the years.

I know from a gentlemen at work whos sons are Police Officers they all have huge (and expensive) insurance for this sort of thing.

So I guess the question is are these type programs worth looking into these days and what are some of the pitfalls to look out for when looking to protect ourselves and our assets.

BigAlofPa.
02-25-2019, 02:10 PM
Our family carries us law shield. It's around 14.00 a month for the plan we have for each of us.
https://www.uslawshield.com/

SvenLindquist
02-25-2019, 03:22 PM
Contact the NRA. They have excellent multi-level plans available for members.

BrassMagnet
02-25-2019, 05:02 PM
Uscca

jeepvet
02-25-2019, 06:47 PM
US Law Shield.

They are very reasonable and offer several different coverages at an added cost. Basic coverage is 24/7 access to 2A lawyers via phone. They will answer any 2A questions and the coverage is for any legal weapon. Not just fireams. It covers criminal and civil courts. You can also get minor in the home, multi state, bail/bond pay, gun and identity theft, hunting law violation and maybe a few more that I am forgetting. They also offer several live seminars at a very reduced cost to members in many locations around the country. These cover gun laws, what to do if someone is shot (first aid) and they even have some 3D shooting scenarios and much more.

I do not carry the multi state coverage but we were going to travel from Texas to Oklahoma for four days last fall. I called US Law Shield up and told them what was going on and they covered me for just those four days while I was out of state. It was so expensive I almost had a cow. They charged me a whole $0.39 for that four days of full coverage if I had to use my firearm or any other legal weapon. I just could not believe they had the audacity to charge such an outrageous amount. (Sarcasm) They also sent me a rather large amount of information on the differences in gun laws in Oklahoma verses Texas

Fortunately, I have never had to avail myself of their services, other than to ask a few questions, but I feel much better knowing that I have a US Law Shield card in my wallet.

Idz
02-25-2019, 07:13 PM
What is the status of NRA insurance? I know New York, as part of their gunowner harassment policy, sued the NRA because the NRA contracted with an insurance company to provide liability/defense insurance. NY claimed the NRA was acting as an unlicensed insurer and was promoting criminal behavior.

SvenLindquist
02-26-2019, 09:40 AM
Have no idea, but reinforces our moving out of NY, to two free states, 20 years ago.

Sig556r
02-26-2019, 09:59 AM
Local guy shot 2 thieves fleeing from neighbor's house passing thru his property...acquitted by a grand jury but lost everything in litigation.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Horn_shooting_controversy

gwpercle
02-26-2019, 01:35 PM
It's insurance....read the fine print.
Insurance companies have more ways to take your money...and then to not pay a claim ...
do to a "technicality" , "exemption" or "exclusion" .....is a way they make big bucks.
They know how to write the policy and they know you are not going to read all the confusing legal speak .
Read the fine print very carefully....the devil's in the details .

lightman
02-26-2019, 01:58 PM
When I retired both my financial adviser and my accountant suggested talking with an attorney specializing in estate planning. We revised our wills, set up an estate, chose powers of attorney, ect. One thing that was suggested was an "Umbrella" policy that basically covered anything that our other policies did not cover that supplemented our other policies.

If you Conceal Carry or have a gun for home defense you need to know your state laws. Every concealed carry class I have attended has mentioned that the shot guys family is going to be looking for financial compensation.