PDA

View Full Version : Anyone shoot full house 44 magnum rounds in a Magnum Research Desert Eagle?

44Blam
02-24-2019, 02:16 AM
I saw a Desert Eagle in 44 mag for sale the other day and was wondering if that thing would hold up under a W296 load... Or a steady diet of w296 loads...
I love shooting full house loads in my Ruger Redhawk, but it is a Ruger...
Would be kinda fun to be able to send 2000 grain of lead down range at about 1500 fps in a second or two...from a pistol.

dondiego
02-24-2019, 12:56 PM
That is one heavy .44 cal boolit!

Wis Tom
02-24-2019, 01:05 PM
Can't help there, as I have the 50AE, and I use a 325gr. hollow point, with 23grains of 2400.

rockrat
02-24-2019, 01:23 PM
I have shot 296 loads thru mine. Only have about 4-500 thru the gun. shot cast thru it until I heard it was a no-no. Haven't shot it in years though.

Duckiller
02-24-2019, 06:59 PM
#2 son has/had one. Always shot full load jacketed in it. Never shot cast. Manual warned of plugging the gas system. Not sure if that was true or not but didn't want to try and fix. My cast is all with clip on wheel weights.

gwpercle
02-24-2019, 07:14 PM
My son in law bought a 44 mag DE , we shot some heavy factory loads through it and a S&W model 29 revolver . We started with the model 29 and each fired 6 rounds . No problem with it .
After we each fired 3 to 5 rounds with the DE we both had enough.
As that big slide slams to the rear then slams forward...it increases the felt recoil.. a lot. The recoil impulse is very long and the slides back and forth movement makes it seem like a lot more recoil.

We went back to the revolver , shot up the rest of the ammo with it...and enjoyed it ! Son in law sold the DE .

In theory the heavy DE with it's heavy slide should have less felt recoil...but I swear both of us felt more recoil..or something and found the revolver much easier and pleasant to shoot.

I know this flies in the face of what the experts say...but I'll take a revolver in 44 magnum any day .

I don't believe you will be emptying the DE magazine in a split second like a plastic wonder nine...that big boy Desert Eagle jumps around just a little a bit .

Gary

6bg6ga
02-24-2019, 07:48 PM
I have a desert eagle 44 magnum. I've shot 240gr jacketed loads that were full house loads. I also shot the same loads thru my Ruger Super Red Hawk and the recoil doesn't feel as bad thru the DE as it does thru the 9" Ruger. I believe you must have a typo there isn't a 2000gr 44 mag bullet. Maybe you meant 200 gr. Lead is a NO NO in a DE because it WILL sooner or later plug the gas ports in the DE. Mine is extremely accurate with a maximum load of 2400.

RED BEAR
02-24-2019, 07:54 PM
I don't own one so if i am talking out my backside then forgive me. Has anyone ever actually clogged up a gas port. I shoot several simi rifles with cast bullets and never had a problem. I am wondering if this warning is an abundance of caution on something that could happen but never has.

trapper9260
02-24-2019, 08:03 PM
I shot 310grs in my RH and that is more then I like to shoot on a normal time.only once in great time.I shot other lighter boolits but at mag loads.

Moonie
02-24-2019, 09:06 PM
I don't own one so if i am talking out my backside then forgive me. Has anyone ever actually clogged up a gas port. I shoot several simi rifles with cast bullets and never had a problem. I am wondering if this warning is an abundance of caution on something that could happen but never has.

Yes, people have clogged up the gas ports on them, and to clean them out is almost impossible as the design does not lend itself to cleaning out the gas system. There are posts on this forum about the issues and those that have had that exact problem.

44Blam
02-24-2019, 10:55 PM
I have a desert eagle 44 magnum. I've shot 240gr jacketed loads that were full house loads. I also shot the same loads thru my Ruger Super Red Hawk and the recoil doesn't feel as bad thru the DE as it does thru the 9" Ruger. I believe you must have a typo there isn't a 2000gr 44 mag bullet. Maybe you meant 200 gr. Lead is a NO NO in a DE because it WILL sooner or later plug the gas ports in the DE. Mine is extremely accurate with a maximum load of 2400.

No typo, but 9 x 240 grain boolits is a little more than 2000 grains, actually 2160...

RED BEAR
02-25-2019, 12:04 AM
I used to carry a snub 44 and loaded 29 gr h110 with a 180 gr hp. And they aren't for the timid.

44Blam
02-25-2019, 12:09 AM
I used to carry a snub 44 and loaded 29 gr h110 with a 180 gr hp. And they aren't for the timid.

Jesus, if you miss, you'll catch 'em on fire.

dondiego
02-25-2019, 12:33 PM
No typo, but 9 x 240 grain boolits is a little more than 2000 grains, actually 2160...

Yes, I figured out what you were referring to...............later.

RED BEAR
02-25-2019, 01:50 PM
44blam you bet ycha. If i misses it would scare the devil out of em.

fredj338
02-25-2019, 02:02 PM
The DE will take a steady diet of full power 44mags but I would hesitate to shoot uncoated lead because of the gas port system.

robg
02-26-2019, 03:09 PM
Only shot a de in 357 mag ,thought it cut the recoil compared to my 686 .still preferred the 686 though.

Dutchninja
02-26-2019, 03:32 PM
TONS of 180g-200g jacketed HP with stout loads of 296 / H110. Working on my PC coated rounds, the chamber shaves it a bit of the bullet on mine, but others have had success with PC lead rounds. I've also tried other super heavy j words and the recoil is nothing out of that gun.

The flame and concussion using 296 significant (i.e. awesome), but not unshootable. They are really useful if someone at the range shoots their gun sideways or is otherwise being generally discourteous. Start hammering with this rounds and people tend to leave.

As mentioned by 6bg6ga, the same ammo in the super red hawk has more recoil, even more so to the point of pain in a 6 inch standard Redhawk. The DE is much softer shooting, as others have mentioned, with the overall weight and slide. Check the video below for the example of the recoil.

FYI i did have some mag issues early on. The detent on the mag follower was causing drag issues. But if you can handle and like shooting your Ruger, the DE is even better!

https://youtu.be/7iQ-3AsrVdw

6bg6ga
02-26-2019, 08:18 PM
Yes, I figured out what you were referring to...............later.

understood

44Blam
02-27-2019, 02:20 AM
TONS of 180g-200g jacketed HP with stout loads of 296 / H110. Working on my PC coated rounds, the chamber shaves it a bit of the bullet on mine, but others have had success with PC lead rounds. I've also tried other super heavy j words and the recoil is nothing out of that gun.

The flame and concussion using 296 significant (i.e. awesome), but not unshootable. They are really useful if someone at the range shoots their gun sideways or is otherwise being generally discourteous. Start hammering with this rounds and people tend to leave.

As mentioned by 6bg6ga, the same ammo in the super red hawk has more recoil, even more so to the point of pain in a 6 inch standard Redhawk. The DE is much softer shooting, as others have mentioned, with the overall weight and slide. Check the video below for the example of the recoil.

FYI i did have some mag issues early on. The detent on the mag follower was causing drag issues. But if you can handle and like shooting your Ruger, the DE is even better!

https://youtu.be/7iQ-3AsrVdw

That's awesome.

mattw
02-27-2019, 09:34 AM
I shoot one in 41 Mag. In order to cycle the action, the loads have to be up around the top end! I shoot PC 225 and 250 grain bullets in mine, to cheap to pick up jacketed bullets. Have had no issues with the gas port, but do no and will not shoot uncoated bullets in mine. I use 296 and a commercial variant of H110 that I picked up by the barrel in the mid to late 90's.

Target4fun
02-28-2019, 12:19 AM
So had a deagle and still have my 44 redhawk. There were a lot of negatives to the deagle but recoil wasnt bad. Its a heavy gun and semi auto so that takes some away as well. The triggers are okay but id expect better for what they cost. The sights are often very high or low etc. Some shoot fine but ive shot a few that were pretty off. Then the big deal is its pretty picky on ammo. Fmj no problem most jhp no problem, any softpoints forget it those are for wheel guns.

I like 44 but for this caliber i prefer revolver, better trigger, eats all types of ammo, scopes or red dot it easy.

With that said its a fun novelty type gun

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Lloyd Smale
02-28-2019, 11:00 AM
im not a big fan and never owned one but I will say that my buddy has put a wheelbarrow full of full power loads through his and it shoots as well today (which by the way is pretty darned good) as it did when he picked it up. I doubt your going to hurt one with any sane load.