PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for listing a rifle on GB?

hc18flyer
02-23-2019, 12:05 AM
Looking for suggestions on listing my first rifle on Gun Broker. I am thinking leaving the rings with the rifle, but not the Scope? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Tom

Beagle333
02-23-2019, 12:15 AM
Be sure you spell everything correctly. Not many people will see it if you misspell "Remington" or "Marlin" or "Carbine" accidentally. Post as many pics as you can get. Also mention the condition of the bore. Good luck!

obssd1958
02-23-2019, 12:18 AM
Sometimes a high end scope on a high end rifle, will make the combo more desirable. But in my experience, that's the exception, so I would say separate the two.
In my opinion, the most important thing you can do is to take lots of "well lit, clear, photos". Make sure if there are issues that they are out in the open. The last thing you want is to have your buyer point out something that you knew about, but didn't let them know.

My two cents...

Bazoo
02-23-2019, 12:31 AM
Take pictures in natural light. Lots of them including a full length view from both sides. Be honest and use lots of detail.

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-23-2019, 12:53 AM
Sometimes a high end scope on a high end rifle, will make the combo more desirable. But in my experience, that's the exception, so I would say separate the two.
In my opinion, the most important thing you can do is to take lots of "well lit, clear, photos". Make sure if there are issues that they are out in the open. The last thing you want is to have your buyer point out something that you knew about, but didn't let them know.

My two cents...
When I was getting ready for my gun auction in 2015 (59 guns, about half were rifles), It was a Live-only auction, no online sales.
I removed all the expensive scopes to sell separately at a later date online, except one, I left a older Leupold Vari-X III on a real nice Interarms Mark X 375H&H. I installed cheap, but functional scopes on all the rifles where I removed scopes from...you know the China made scopes you find used at gunshows for $10 to $20.

When I delivered all the guns to the auction house, the Auctioneer's "gun professional" told me to take all the scopes off the rifles, that is our rule, he said, we'll get more money that way. I told him no, I am OK with how everything was setup. I'm pretty sure he thought I was an idiot, but I wasn't going to explain that I swapped 'em out. I know dang well, those rifles will sell a little better with a scope, even a cheapo scope, than without a scope.

He really wanted me to remove the Leupold, but I had the same theory as obssd1958 mentions, plus I knew of two specific people that were coming to my Auction specifically for that Interarms 375H&H, and I knew the Leupold would help the bidding along...and boy did it. That Rifle/scope sold for $1450. I had swapped a 600 dollar handgun for that Rifle a year earlier, and the Leupold was a nice $300 find at a gunshow. So I made quite a good profit.

Anyway, if I were listing a Rifle on GB, I'd put a scope on it.
Good Luck

trails4u
02-23-2019, 01:32 AM
If what you're selling is desirable, and in good condition, and should garner a decent market interest....I strongly advise you to run your auction as a 0.01, penny start, no reserve sale. A lot of bidders, including myself, will not even consider bidding on an item with a reserve. If it's as good as you advertise....you don't need a reserve, and the 0.01 start gets interest early which could lead to competitive bidding. I also have tended to include a 'buy it now' price at about 10% above my hopeful outcome for the auction. Some folks will jump on that if they see a lot of people bidding....which they will, when you start at 0.01 with no reserve.

SvenLindquist
02-23-2019, 04:27 AM
All good advice. Also pay attention to any bidder's feedback as there are some flakes on all those sites. Just spent several days calming a buyer who was wound up like a 3 dollar watch because his gun did't make it from WY to CT in 3 days from the day he sent a personal check for it.

One lousy feedback can hurt you more than 20 positive ones help.

lightman
02-23-2019, 11:37 AM
This is a timely thread because I'm thinking about putting my long range match rifle up for sale. I'm not gutsy enough to start it at 1 cent though!

trails4u
02-23-2019, 11:45 AM
This is a timely thread because I'm thinking about putting my long range match rifle up for sale. I'm not gutsy enough to start it at 1 cent though!

If it's something with a small niche, or something unusually expensive.....where you might have limited interest, I probably wouldn't either!;-)

JSnover
02-23-2019, 12:06 PM
Answer any questions from bidders/lookers. Maybe the seller is too busy or doesn't want to admit he doesn't know something but if I don't get a response I don't bid.

dragon813gt
02-23-2019, 12:41 PM
If you know the minimum you want start the auction at that price. Not sure if they’re like eBay but you can set a buy it now price which then starts that auction at a certain percentage below that price. I personally don’t bid on penny auctions and won’t sell anything that way. The starting bid is my minimum and if it goes for more great. I buy more buy it now items than any auction style. Saving a few dollars isn’t worth it to me.

georgerkahn
02-23-2019, 12:54 PM
An item I find MOST important if the "legality" item. To wit, is the rifle C&R eligible? Will the rifle be "legal" to where it may be sold (e.g., in NYS we have a prohibition on "assault rifles", etc., and in some cities restrictions are much more!)? And, assuming you do not posses a Federal Firearms license, will the buyer provide the FFL copy and address of to whom the rifle will be shipped? Who will "cover" these costs -- my local FFL commands $35.00 for a "long gun"; $50.00 for a handgun. Also -- albeit some may disagree -- if you list it on any auction site, include photos of not only its serial number, but most all any "swappable" parts. No one on this site, I am certain, would do it -- but there's the story (I heard 2nd hand) of a fellow in a not too distant community who sold a Garand on an auction site, and after the 3-day inspection period it was returned to him. However, I understand many of the parts were not the same as were in it when shipped. It's not always just "buyer beware".... sometimes it goes for the seller as well.
BEST wishes!
geo

EDG
02-23-2019, 01:38 PM
One of my pet peeves is bore condition.
When I read the bore "will need a good cleaning and will probably clean up ok" I think I am dealing with a crook. If you are too lazy to spend 5 minutes cleaning a rifle barrel and giving a fair assessment you ate not getting any bids from me.

GhostHawk
02-23-2019, 09:54 PM
When I am looking if I see an item with a short description, one or two pictures, I keep looking.

Take the time to do it right.

If you are looking, you can tell the difference between the people just looking for some money and those who are going to be good to deal with. Due diligence shows.

5-7 clear pictures, couple showing both sides of the whole thing. Then move in and show details. Spell check it, have someone proof read it.

And best of luck to you.

skud007
02-24-2019, 11:32 PM
I have yet to buy from GB, but look all the time. All the before mentioned items is what I look for as a buyer. I want to see alot of pics and a good honest description. If I have a question about the item I'm looking for a fairly quick response. Good luck!

Bazoo
02-24-2019, 11:49 PM
I've never sold one, that I remember. But i've bought a couple. I look for auctions that have irrelevant details about the rifle such as, "I bought it used from a pawn shop and had it for 20 years and just dont want it anymore", as opposed to "description in pictures". This tells me its a gun someone has owned and took care of instead of something someone got a police auction and is just turning a buck on. Not that turning a buck is wrong, but that I prefer knowing some background.

Idaho45guy
02-25-2019, 08:12 PM
I used GB once to sell a beautiful and mint JM Marlin 1894 in .357 magnum back in 2013.

I took a ton of pictures with lots of detail. Any imperfections I could find, I noted them and included a photo. I paid $425 for the rifle a few years earlier but knew the value had gone up.

I listed it with a reserve of $700 and it sold for $1000. I was ecstatic, but I still miss that gem...

Mr Peabody
02-26-2019, 12:17 AM
If you work a steady job that keeps you from shipping right away state so. Say you only ship on Saturdays, but say something about when you ship. Say you charge insurance, don't ship it uninsured. Don't take just any money order, the ones from the Post Office deposit just fine.

T_McD
02-26-2019, 12:38 AM
Dont use the word “rare”. “Custom” is almost as bad.