PDA

View Full Version : Hacker T. Martian

Divedigger
02-21-2019, 06:56 PM
Anybody ever heard of Hacker T Martian ,he is in the Foxfire books and still has family in this area. I met him 1 time when I was little , he is a legend in these parts of East Tenn.

bob208
02-21-2019, 09:42 PM
I read about him in some of the books I have like the cap lock muzzle loading rifle by Ned Roberts.

TNsailorman
02-21-2019, 11:00 PM
Hacker is dead now of course. He was very old when I last heard from him and was living somewhere down around Jonesborough. He made some of the lightest and most elegant muzzleloaders a man could ever want. Conned Turner Kirkland out of some barrels ( actually bought them at a real bargain ). We will not likely see his like again. He was a master. james

bedbugbilly
02-22-2019, 12:01 AM
Hacker's last name was "Martin" - not Martian. I had the honor of meeting him one time and he was an excellent rifle maker. He also was a good fiddle player as well. I think that if you can dig up some Muzzle Blasts from the early 60s there may be an article or two on him IIRC.

Texas by God
02-22-2019, 12:14 AM
Jim Carmichael wrote of going to school with Hacker Martin's daughter; relating that her daily chores included filing round barrels to octagon. None of the boys dared to arm wrestle her!

Divedigger
02-22-2019, 11:02 AM
Yep Ms Betty , still doing good in assisted living

Divedigger
02-22-2019, 11:14 AM
Yep Sorry for the spelling, i got a new never used 25lb paper poke from the Old Mill meal mfg from Hacker Martin and some old Muzzle Blast with his mailing address on them just dont how to show pics from ipad

DIRT Farmer
02-22-2019, 11:58 PM
I did enjoy some of his fiddle music around the fires at Friendship. His guns were amoung the old standard