PDA

View Full Version : lead fumes

kenny1
10-14-2008, 12:03 AM
Should you where a mask while casting?

Boerrancher
10-14-2008, 12:13 AM
If you are getting fumes off of your lead pot other than when you toss a bit of lube in there for flux, then you are getting your alloy way too hot. I have been casting for nearly 30 years, started when I was 7 years old, and have had no adverse effects from the lead. If the smoke off of the flux bothers you then open a window or I guess you could wear one of those allergy/dust masks for that.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

billyb
10-14-2008, 12:15 AM
stay below 950* use cross ventilation. i have been casting 35 years or so. lead level is normal. i have never used one, if you would be more at ease use one. Bill

MtGun44
10-14-2008, 12:43 AM
Both answers are correct. Lead does not vaporize to any significant
degree at normal casting temps. Ventilation is mostly for fumes from
smelting (junk burning off) or fluxing.

Bill

JDFuchs
10-14-2008, 12:46 AM
I often use one. Tho im only 23 and look forward to a long and helthy life. Tho my bigger worry is not lead poisioning but when doing my first smelting of WW with all the other junk that turns into smoke, I don't bother cleaning through them much at all so a bit of tier rubber and all else is burnt off. For casting using my bottom pour pot im not woried much at all. However due to lack of for thought i did spill about a pound of lead out of my pot.. Be sure its on a good steddy serface, and if you stick somthing in it like a mold to warm up do so with reasion. [smilie=b: Cloths that you use during smelting might be good to keep seperate form your normal outfits.

MtGun44
10-14-2008, 12:52 AM
I found one reference that showed a vapor pressure of 1mm Hg at
980C for lead. This is very low vaporization at just under 1800 F,
FAR above casting temps of 700-800F.

Full atmospheric pressure is 760 mm Hg, so 1 mm Hg is pretty small
and this is at a super hot temp.

Bill

Bret4207
10-14-2008, 07:42 AM
I don't think it's a real concern as long as you aren't in an enclosed area. By that I mean if you cast in a tightly closed 6'x6' room, it might be a concern. As someone else mentioned there's more junk in the flux fumes than you'll get from the lead alloy at casting temps.

OTH- if you feel better, wear a mask. I admit I don't wear a mask, gloves, apron, even safety glasses most of the time. My luck may run out, but I've been doing it this way for 30+ years and old habits are hard to break. I've even cast in shorts, although not in cowboy boots and a jock strap, like Buckshot!:mrgreen:

When I smelt, whole 'nuther ball game. Just yesterday I was consolidating some WW's in one big bucket from several smaller ones. As I topped it off, right at the peak of the pile was a live 410 shell! I found 3 more right away!!!:shock::shock::shock: Either the garage I picked them up at is still shooting pigeons or Dan is trying to off me so he can have at my widow!:confused: