PDA

View Full Version : 77-44 & Red Dot

1Shirt
12-05-2005, 11:02 AM
Just mounted a BSA Red Dot 30mm on my 77-44, with thoughts of using it on Tex. Boar, with emphasis on the dark side of shooting (night/dusk/early dawn that is). Have never used one of the things befor, and had to get a B-Square base that adapted the Ruger slots so that I could mount the BSA which has Weaver base. Sort of a goofy looking thing when you compair it to a regular scope. Rifle shoots the 310 Lee GC. with full power loads well under 2" at 50yds which is all I am after, as average range out of a stand will be about 35 yds. Am looking to talk with somebody with experiance with one of these Red Dots on short distance rifles, and preferably someone who has shot boar with one in dim light conditions. Am also interested in talking with anyone who has shot boar with 310Lee GC out of a 44Mag, and the composition of the bullet. Shot my last one with 405 OHAS PB out of 45-70 over 26 gr. or 2400, nose softened WW/water quenched. 4 Legs in the air was all I could see after recoil. However never being satisfied with sucess, just have to try something different this go around. As always, I thank in advance all who respond to this thread.
1Shirt :coffee:

44man
12-05-2005, 12:03 PM
I have red dots on all of my handguns because of aging eyes. I have trouble with regular scopes in the early morning and evening because long eye relief scopes are so dark. Once you hunt with them, you will never go back.
The Lee boolit is a great one. Just use water quenched WW's and you will be fine. I never killed a boar but have taken many deer with the boolit.
I have a Marlin lever gun in .44 and found that 20.5 gr of 296 is very accurate. In my revolvers, 21.5 is better. Try standard Fed 150 primers for better accuracy.

1Shirt
12-05-2005, 12:37 PM
Thanks 44Man! Have never tried 296, but will on your recommendation.
1Shirt :coffee:

versifier
12-05-2005, 03:34 PM
I have an Aimpoint on my Mauser that I love. It's been on it for fifteen years, though I occasionally take it off to mount on a handgun when needed. Short range, long range, low light, bright sun, up close on a rifle, arm's length on a pistol, doesn't matter, works great. :-D Keeping your other eye open gives you your depth perception back and makes hits on moving targets much easier, from rabbits to moose. ;)