PDA

View Full Version : WTB 256 Win Mag brass & dies

jeepyj
02-19-2019, 08:10 PM
I stopped into the local LGS to have a coffee after work and may have placed my name on a Thompson 256 Win Mag barrel from the custom shop. So because I probably didn't enough homework first now I'm wondering what's out there for 256. I'll need at least some brass and dies to start with.
Thank you in advance for your help - jeepyj

Trophy Tom
02-19-2019, 08:31 PM
Hi Mr Jeep Why J
I have some correct Headstamp brass and maybe dies. It will be in the morning before I have time to see what brand and how many.

Just kidding with the name
I’m a CJ person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jeepyj
02-19-2019, 09:07 PM
Trophy Tom, I would appreciate you having a look see. As for the name at the time I signed up here I had a sweet little straight 6 YJ. After that I had built a CJ with a built up 360 and all the goodies but recently had an offer that I couldn't refuse so now my if I had a name change it would have to be MX5. HaHa, all just toys. Thanks again for looking.

contender1
02-19-2019, 11:36 PM
I own a Ruger Hawkeye & shoot as well as a Contender bbl.
Finding dies will not be too hard,, but you will have to look a bit.

Brass can be made from 357 brass,,, BUT,,,, you NEED form dies. If not, you will ruin a lot of brass trying to form them in normal dies. Annealing the brass after forming will also be a plus.

I'm not sure, but I may have a spare set of dies if Trophy Tom doesn't have any.

johnly
02-20-2019, 02:06 AM
Think I have a set of RCBS forming dies in the die closet if you are looking for a set.

John

jeepyj
02-20-2019, 07:09 AM
I own a Ruger Hawkeye & shoot as well as a Contender bbl.
Finding dies will not be too hard,, but you will have to look a bit.

Brass can be made from 357 brass,,, BUT,,,, you NEED form dies. If not, you will ruin a lot of brass trying to form them in normal dies. Annealing the brass after forming will also be a plus.

I'm not sure, but I may have a spare set of dies if Trophy Tom doesn't have any.

Super thank you, I'll keep you posted. I plan on obtaining forming dies if possible. Looks like there is a chance with Johnly.
Thanks again. Meanwhile if you want someone to look out for that Hawkeye just let me know... HaHa Just kidding.

Trophy Tom
02-20-2019, 11:11 AM
Here’s what I have
About 120 pieces of fired brass. Winchester brass Good shape

About 300 pieces of new brass. Winchester
All correct Headstamp

Dies. RCBS. Form dies 1&2. Trim and extended shell holder.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190220/5127b031cddbf429f5106e49ed678892.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190220/8ad4d75aabcc7c6f1496affef23ae4e7.jpg

I bought the Dies off of eBay for $83.00
I would like to get that back for them. Never used them after I bought them.
New brass $1 each. That seems to be what I’d have to pay to get more.
Fired brass help me on what a fair price would be.
Any quantities you want. Mix n match.
Let me know what you think.

I have plenty. I use mine for a marlin model 62
Lever action.
One day I’ll have a Hawkeye. And sell the marlin. But at the going rate for a Hawkeye being 1800 Up. It will have to wait.
Thanks Tom

contender1
02-20-2019, 11:18 AM
Wow,,, 2 possible sets of form dies available. I had to HUNT for my set.

Factory marked brass is harder to find, so the above pricing isn't out of line.

The Hawkeye I have that I shoot,,,, (sadly) came to me with the top strap D&Ted for a scope. I do have a second one,, in minty condition. For reloading,, I use the Hornady 60 grn bullet,, and if you want them,, jump QUICKLY,, as Black Hills Shooters Supply actually had some recently. I bought another 500. Hornady only runs this bullet about once a year.

I'll look for reloading dies since Trophy Tom found form dies, not reloading dies.

M_59
02-20-2019, 11:34 AM
You don't have to use the form die set to make brass. It can be done with the regular dies. There is a thread in the case forming forum.

jeepyj
02-20-2019, 02:09 PM
Here’s what I have
About 120 pieces of fired brass. Winchester brass Good shape

About 300 pieces of new brass. Winchester
All correct Headstamp

Dies. RCBS. Form dies 1&2. Trim and extended shell holder.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190220/5127b031cddbf429f5106e49ed678892.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190220/8ad4d75aabcc7c6f1496affef23ae4e7.jpg

I bought the Dies off of eBay for $83.00
I would like to get that back for them. Never used them after I bought them.
New brass $1 each. That seems to be what I’d have to pay to get more.
Fired brass help me on what a fair price would be.
Any quantities you want. Mix n match.
Let me know what you think.

I have plenty. I use mine for a marlin model 62
Lever action.
One day I’ll have a Hawkeye. And sell the marlin. But at the going rate for a Hawkeye being 1800 Up. It will have to wait.
Thanks Tom

Trophy Tom, pm incoming.

jeepyj
02-24-2019, 06:06 PM
Deals made with two fine gentlemen. Many thanks to them and thank you to the castboolits site for providing a place for like minded folks to connect. Closing thread.