PDA

View Full Version : Ingot warmer

Jeffery8mm
10-13-2008, 08:28 PM
I have a small Lee 10 lbs pot that gets empty real fast when casting 405gr 45-70 stuff. I have been told that I need to have my ingots warm before adding them to the pot so as to not cool the netal down to much. Well, being the cheapskate I am, I refused to buy a hot plate and warmed them on the side of the pot, until one fell in.:twisted: That made an unwelcome splash. So, I am cleaning out the laundry room and find an old coffepot that the caraffe to was broken. So i stripped it down to just the warmer, and bingo, an ingot warmer, FREEEEEEEEE. Well sorta.
Jeff

Alchemist
10-13-2008, 09:05 PM
Tried pre-heating your moulds with it yet? That might be just the ticket. Now to find a garage sale special coffeepot.....

Goatlips
10-14-2008, 12:55 AM
Alchemist, while shopping for your coffeepot, keep your eye out for a Fry Daddy or Fry Baby. If you jump the thermostat, the pot will MELT your ingots and you can load your casting pot with a dipper - works for me. :Fire:

Goatlips

copdills
10-14-2008, 06:41 AM
Way to go Jeffery8mm

leftiye
10-14-2008, 02:58 PM
There are several ways to obtain a melting pot to pre melt your sprues and added metal (ingots). I see palmer hot pots on evil bay from time to time, for one. I've made one from an old hotplate for another. I highly recommend this approach. It makes a small casting pot cast as fast as a big one for one thing. Just keep melting and adding metal to your casting pot as you go. Flux before adding, and keep your casting pot metal covered with crushed charcoal, and you'll never have to flux your main pot, nor will it get dirty. Not adding your sprues to your main pot will just about do away with oxide formation in your main pot in this scenario.