PDA

View Full Version : Guess I will have to

Freightman
10-13-2008, 07:08 PM
clean up my shop a detailed clean, I was cleaning my Taurus Gaucho 45 after a range session and the cylinder bushing fell on the floor. Easy I said went and got my magnet and started looking no luck, so says I how expensive can it be? So I called Taurus and ask to order one! that is a we fix only item the rep. said you have to send it to us to fix. The whole gun I said YES he says. So I am going to go in the morning and get some floor paint, move everything to one side clean and paint the floor a light color where I can find something. this will turn into a all week job just for a 1/4" bushing! O-Well. My luck I still will not find it and have to send the gun in anyhow.

Wayne Smith
10-13-2008, 08:00 PM
If it's anything like mine I would need a sieve of about 1/8" just to sieve out all of the sawdust and smaller junk! No hope for floor paint, it would soon be covered!

DLCTEX
10-13-2008, 08:03 PM
I guess I need to drop something. Good luck Freightman. DALE

timkelley
10-13-2008, 08:11 PM
Had my Win. 94 trapper apart last month and the ejector spring went sprong to the left, looked all over couldn't find it. Last wednesday I moved somthing on the right and there it lay just Big as Dallas. Give it some time and it will come back.

kodiak1
10-13-2008, 09:56 PM
Mine is about the same from the sound of things. After one of those educational sessions though, I learned to take my shootin irons and anything else small apart in a cookie tray and hold it close to the bottom. This helps a ton in catching these small items, those spring loaded gagets can still cause a bit of grief.

Good Luck Ken.

xr650
10-13-2008, 11:30 PM
I swept mine the other day. Looks much better.
I am not going so far as painting though.

You already know this, but. Paint is slick especially when wet or oily.
Enjoy your project. :drinks:

AZ-Stew
10-14-2008, 12:14 AM
I always thought that gray Rustoleum Epoxy Garage Floor Paint looked sexy with the blue and white sprinkles mixed in. By golly, that was what was going to grace the floor of my shop when I built it. Fortunately, common sense took hold before I painted the floor. I realized that I was going to occasionally drop small items and it became clear that the sprinkles were going to be a real PITA if I ever had to get down and look for something.

Yes, I used the gray Rustoleum Epoxy. No, I didn't use the sprinkles. Yes, I can easily find stuff I drop on the floor. I still have several bags of the sprinkles around here somewhere if anyone wants them.

Regards,

Stew

Bret4207
10-14-2008, 07:28 AM
I always thought that gray Rustoleum Epoxy Garage Floor Paint looked sexy with the blue and white sprinkles mixed in. By golly, that was what was going to grace the floor of my shop when I built it. Fortunately, common sense took hold before I painted the floor. I realized that I was going to occasionally drop small items and it became clear that the sprinkles were going to be a real PITA if I ever had to get down and look for something.

Yes, I used the gray Rustoleum Epoxy. No, I didn't use the sprinkles. Yes, I can easily find stuff I drop on the floor. I still have several bags of the sprinkles around here somewhere if anyone wants them.

Regards,

Stew

How do they taste on ice cream?:mrgreen:

All you guys should read the shop tips section. I think there's a paragraph or 3 devoted to things like short nap carpet on bench tops to prevent losing things.

bullshot
10-14-2008, 07:35 AM
I was replacing a defective extractor in a 700 Rem a year or so ago, the spring type. Ping and never to be seen again. Much more careful on the second replacement.

Cactus Farmer
10-14-2008, 07:42 AM

Stew

I wonder if they would make good flux or the smoke could be a DIYS bug bomb......:mrgreen:

smokemjoe
10-14-2008, 10:51 AM
Frank : When that happened to me I got my little granddaugher to look, God eyes and closer to the floor, always found it, But now growing up and boys in her eyes now. Joe

Freightman
10-14-2008, 01:04 PM
Just glad it wasn't a part of one of my antiques as I looked for over a year for a rear sight for my M1867 Remington Rolling Block. This is covered on the warranty but getting it to FL is the problem.

leftiye
10-14-2008, 02:28 PM
I was fixing a friend's Marlin lever, and I lost the hammer spring. Had to buy him a new one even after tearing the house apart looking for it. I later did tear the house apart literally, tore it down. I thought I'd find it then. Nope, never did find it. Better luck to you.

Ricochet
10-14-2008, 03:30 PM
Just glad it wasn't a part of one of my antiques as I looked for over a year for a rear sight for my M1867 Remington Rolling Block. This is covered on the warranty but getting it to FL is the problem.
Remington must've had a great warranty on those things!

AZ-Stew
10-14-2008, 11:03 PM
Bret,

One of my problems is that I have what the neurologist calls an "essential tremor" (look it up) mostly in my left arm and hand that occasionally makes my arm and hand shake uncontrolably (weak hand practice and practical shooting competition has been out of the question for years, and some parts of handloading, such as trying to hold the bullet or boolit on top of the cartridge while doing the seating operation are getting really difficult). Holding an object with my hand at certain angles and using certain finger grips on small objects is usually when I drop something, and it never has a chance to hit the bench. Direct shot to the floor, and usually bounces under the bench. I take drugs to try to control it, but one of these days I'll probably have to have an electrode implanted in my brain with a subcutaneus electronic module to send signals to it just to stop the shaking. Anyway, the carpet on the bench top is a great idea, but probably wouldn't help in my case. The solid light gray colored floor at least makes it easy to find the stuff I've dropped.

Sorry, Bret. I'm not ragging on you, just giving you the low-down.

Haven't tried the sprinkles on ice cream. Probably kinda chewy and tasteless.

Regards,

Stew

missionary5155
10-15-2008, 06:27 AM
You think GUN parts are bad... Start repairing Pocket Watches... I do not mind getting down on my knees... but to look for some dust size screw that holds a jewel to a balance plate ???? You learn to appreciate flashnights that cast a shadow and light colored floor paint.

copdills
10-15-2008, 06:42 AM
Good Luck Freightman:coffee:

Bret4207
10-15-2008, 07:58 AM
Stew, no problem. OTH- Isn't it amazing that the medicos can "fix" these issues? Incredible IMO. I wish they had a fix for eyesight. I keep trying different glasses, but so far the best I've come up with is a plain old pair of 2x reading specs. I can't seem to get an eye doc/glasses guy to understand what I want. The answer is probably out there, but it eludes me.

I have a problem with plain old fumble fingers. My reflexes have been compared to those of a drunken Giant Sloth, who's suffered several strokes to boot. IOW- Not exactly "cat like". Not only do little things seem to do their normal "jump away", but I can't see them or hear them when they land. Makes for some interesting searches among the debris on the shop floor. Light gray paint would certainly help, but my floor is less than.......well, it's very old concrete and there used to be silage stored on it. The acids ate away a lot of the floor and it's going to take a lot of repair to fix it. A 2" skim coat would be the answer, but I lack head room for vehicles as it is.

Ah well, at least it's not a dirt floor.

jonk
10-16-2008, 03:00 PM
Finding a spring the size of about 1/8th of a paperclip and of similar metal on carpeting is fun...

Frank46
10-16-2008, 11:26 PM
Sounds very familiar. Lost the little spring loaded pin for a browning 22 takedown. Couldn't find it. Had to go to the gunsmith and get another. Years later while doing a clean sweep of the basement prior to the walk through when the house was sold, noticed a little pin on the ground. This was after everything in the basement that did not go with the house. Took the pin and duct taped it in my wallet. After the closing and sale. Hopped in the car and drove to louisiana. Frank