PDA

View Full Version : EBay has checks

astroturf3040
02-14-2019, 10:20 PM
Hi eBay kicked my auction off and banned me for listing for three days. My items: gas checks. Six open boxes. Evaluating my eBay continuance. You should as well. Gas checks bad.

Winger Ed.
02-14-2019, 10:22 PM
Sell 'em here.

ascast
02-14-2019, 10:38 PM
and yet, they are allowing box after box of bullets and brass cases. go figure

lefty o
02-14-2019, 10:41 PM
ebay & p pal are evil!

RogerDat
02-14-2019, 10:43 PM
Another vote for go to swapping and selling and offer them here. Oh wait you might not be able to post WTS if your post count isn't high enough yet. Not sure what that limit is but know they have one listed in the rules thread of S&S forum.

Wait until they figure out that most of the lead and alloys they sell are NOT going to make fishing weights. Too Bad, so Sad. We can all hope that if it does cross their mind their heads will explode.

Kimber1911
02-14-2019, 10:45 PM
I got tossed for 3 days for listing brass, its funny I had no idea it was banned, its on there all the time, I had to call an 800 number and promise I wouldn't relist it.

Reverend Al
02-15-2019, 03:08 PM
I gave up on eBay years ago. Several times some eBay Nazi decided that my shooting / reloading / firearms related items that I wanted to sell "contradicted" eBay policies. When the excessive fees they are charging these days continued to go higher and higher I gave up on them entirely since it just wasn't worth the trouble any longer. I seldom buy items on there anymore either unless it is something exceptional like a long out of production mould that I've been searching for ...

Shawlerbrook
02-15-2019, 03:14 PM
It is hard to figure out their PC rules.

RogerDat
02-15-2019, 03:48 PM
It is hard to figure out their PC rules.Only if you sell there. Like an unreasonable ex the best solution can just be to avoid the problem.

Cast_outlaw
02-15-2019, 03:55 PM
Wow that’s interesting because I can find all kinds of Boolits sizing dies and gas checks on eBay.ca for sale right now on it wonder why you were shut down maybe because your a private seller not a multi million dollar company

Kraschenbirn
02-15-2019, 04:15 PM
Dropped fleaBay and PayPal years and years ago. Had just agreed on a deal with a private seller for a .32-20 Contender barrel when, suddenly, he just disappeared from eBay and PayPal altogether. Contacted their customer service and was told he'd been banned for listing "prohibited items" and all his open transactions had been voided. When the rep refused to provide contact info (e-mail, phone, whatever) I demanded to speak with her supervisor and received the same line of boilerplated C**P. Asked to go farther up the tree but no one ever called back. Within the next 24 hours, though, a couple of my items (gun-related but not ammo components or actual gun parts) were also dropped as "prohibited" and I received a "warning notice". Closed out both accounts the very next day and have never looked back.

Bill

Dieselhorses
02-15-2019, 05:07 PM
eBay is weird like that. I tried selling brass and they shut me down, BUT someone who sells "keychains" made from different caliber brass can sell all day long. After they shut my auction down I did a search for brass and lo and behold there was a few auctions with just hours left and bids! WT? You can sell gun stocks, parts, kits, accessories as far as I know.

William Yanda
02-15-2019, 05:53 PM
They are not consistent. I suspect that they look the other way until someone tags a listing as prohibited, then they act.
I object to their anti 2nd amendment policies but they are the 300 lb gorilla.

Bazoo
02-15-2019, 06:57 PM
Ebay used to prohibit more than they do now in way of gun parts. Sometimes you can find good stuff on there. Pends on what you're looking for of coarse. I bought my Lee hand press on off ebay. I wanted a non breechlock version. Also if you want older knives or multitools it's a good place to look. Not to mention books.

fast ronnie
02-15-2019, 07:58 PM
I had a company yesterday refuse payment by PayPal because of their fee increase. It was not gun related.
A couple months back, I bought some parts for a chainsaw that were defective (brand new parts) and found their insurance they are selling does not cover anything. Took me weeks to get a refund from the customer even after filing a complaint with PayPal. They are not my favorite people to business with.

I just bought some work lights through Amazon. Got treated right. I will look a little closer at Amazon now instead of Ebay.

historicfirearms
02-15-2019, 08:34 PM
When eBay first started there used to be guns for sale. In fact I bought a contender through them from a guy in my state. I later tried to sell some FAL magazines and M14 mags. The FAL mags got pulled for being too scary but the M14 mags were allowed. Contender barrels are ok but AR barrels are not. I actually get a little kick out of buying guns with PayPal. There are ways to do it.

Minerat
02-15-2019, 08:48 PM
Another vote for go to swapping and selling and offer them here. Oh wait you might not be able to post WTS if your post count isn't high enough yet. Not sure what that limit is but know they have one listed in the rules thread of S&S forum.......

You need 7 more meaningful posts, at 23 now. The limits to post in S&S are 30 days as a member and 30 posts not in the Pit or S&S.

Remember you can only sell them here if they are exclusive to this board. No listing on another board or e-bay.

Hope his helps.

Plate plinker
02-15-2019, 08:58 PM
This is the best place to sell. No crazy nut job fees.

BigAlofPa.
02-15-2019, 09:02 PM
I sold sights on ebay. Had to watch how i worded them. Could use carbine or rifle in the description or title.

pressonregardless
02-15-2019, 09:40 PM
Yet they have no problem with letting Chinese companies sell fake Leupold & other high end scopes
all day long.

Use them for what they are.

RED BEAR
02-15-2019, 10:01 PM
Check in vintage hunting you can buy complete black powder guns usually listed as parts ( its every part ) also seen parts for cartridge firing guns everything except frame next ad by same person was you guessed it the frame. See black powder cannons all the time. But no gas checks go figure.

BigAlofPa.
02-15-2019, 10:28 PM
i worded my post wrong. Ment i could not use the term rifle or carbine on ebay.

Elkins45
02-15-2019, 11:23 PM
I stopped selling when they forced sellers to take PayPal.

5Shot
02-16-2019, 01:15 AM
So the big question is...What caliber?

merlin101
02-16-2019, 02:20 AM
Yet they have no problem with letting Chinese companies sell fake Leupold & other high end scopes
all day long.

Use them for what they are.

And fake US silver dollars.

bedbugbilly
02-16-2019, 11:33 AM
I've bought and sold on fleabay for many years - yeah - an "evil" but sometimes a "necessary evil" - where else can you put something up and have the market that they have?

What irritates me about them is that there is no person to complain to. Chances are - on your checks - some "do gooder tree hugger' posted a complaint and they filed a complaint which automatically pulls your auction - anybody looking at one of your auctions can do it. Funny - I was looking on there last night and saw two cap and ball revolvers . . . hmmmm . . . . a number of cast lead bullets and a bunch of brass . . . . go figure.

What REALLY irritates me is when I run across the GAR and American Legion flag holders - these were supposed to be banned as folks were stealing them from cemeteries and selling them . . . .

A few years ago, I was selling off some of my Civil War collection (I collected for over 50 years) - I had an item up with bids on it - accurately described. A guy contacted me and wanted me to pull the auction and sell the item directly to him . . . I refused . . . hmmmm . . . .suddenly the auction as pulled for not being "accurate". I resisted it again . . . got bids . . . got pulled again. I attempted to contact them . . good luck with that! The guy found out who I was and actually called my house to pressure me to sell to him direct. I told him I would immediately post it as a "buy it now" and agreed to sell it to him - asked him for his user ID - he was stupid enough to give it to me and I immediately blocked him from my auction sites. He called me wanting to know what was going on and I nicely told him that if he wanted to screw with me, I would gladly call the police and have them pay a visit - I knew of his reputation through the Civil War collecting network and also told him that I would be more than happy to file a complaint with several of the big shows that he usually had a table at.

Cheer up . . . it ainn't going to get any better with the left and their holier then thou attitude . . . it's time someone on the right, with the $$ to do it, starts up a competition auction site that would really put the hurt on fleabay . . . .

slim1836
02-16-2019, 11:43 AM
You need 7 more meaningful posts, at 23 now. The limits to post in S&S are 30 days as a member and 30 posts not in the Pit or S&S.

Remember you can only sell them here if they are exclusive to this board. No listing on another board or e-bay.

Hope his helps.

I figured he would have been grandfathered due to his join date, I guess times have changed and I've not kept up.

Slim

RogerDat
02-16-2019, 08:31 PM
I guess for folks with more inventory to deal with a place such as eBay with the additional hassle makes sense. For myself I would always pick here as the first place I would offer an item. Second would be to a vendor or people at a show. On the other hand some have a lot of stuff collected and sell items to fund next project or will buy collections at estate sales or auctions and need to turn over the items they don't wish to keep.

It seems like too darn much hassle for me to even consider selling there. I have purchased on eBay but find most of what I might want that is reloading related I can also get with a WTB post here in S&S forum. Except for the odd out of production item like a Lee loader or things that people buy and then just keep. Such as the Lee hand press or powder scoops. Even if not used often people don't generally sell the one on their bench.

There is also something to be said for the ability to charge more on eBay. I assume some of the used stuff priced above new gets sold to someone once in awhile. Or that people pay the outrageous shipping charges I see for some items. If one wants to maximize profit on an item eBay market might pay more than the market here.

Petander
02-17-2019, 04:48 PM
I bought a reloading press from someone in the USA,the press disappeared from tracking. Ebay reported the seller about the lost package and I got my money back before I knew anything about the lost package at all. The seller got to keep his money,too.

On another press I noticed "restricted item,delayed" in tracking history.

Shawlerbrook
02-17-2019, 05:13 PM
Yes, eBay is puzzling as their rules seem to be very inconsistent. I agree that they must only enforce if someone complains. With all their faults, there are good deals to be found. I buy there often and have only sold a time or two.

MT Gianni
02-17-2019, 06:58 PM
They are not consistent. I suspect that they look the other way until someone tags a listing as prohibited, then they act.
I object to their anti 2nd amendment policies but they are the 300 lb gorilla.

I believe sometimes those tagging post have listings regularly that are more $$ but i was born cynical.

Echo
02-24-2019, 01:46 PM
Call them 'Reloading supplies' - i see a TON of bullets and GC's recently.

cgtreml
02-24-2019, 02:08 PM
I either would sell them here or use gunbroker. Gunbroker fees are less anyway

Minerat
03-02-2019, 08:39 PM
I figured he would have been grandfathered due to his join date, I guess times have changed and I've not kept up.

Slim

Slim, sorry for slow reasponse. I have been told that in most cases that is probably right. i.e., he had more then 30 posts but when the purge happened all the posts in The Pit and S&S were disqualified to match the current rules. I lost about a third of my count at the time too. No one was grandfathered as I recall.

He needs 7 posts to qualify and responding to only half of the comments in this thread would have put him over the top yet no more posts have been logged since the original. Hope he is alright.

RED BEAR
03-02-2019, 10:00 PM
Those fake leupold scopes are pretty nice scopes. It is my understanding that china bought the equipment from leupold when they replaced there's and used it to make scopes. Now don't get me wrong they are not the quality of a gen but they are not bad. For someone on a fixed income they aren't bad been using a 6-24x50 for several years now and for $30 dollars shipped. Yes i feel kinda bad buying a counterfeit but it was the best scope i could afford. My brother uses leupold scopes and couldn't believe this scope.

turtlezx
03-02-2019, 10:23 PM
ive got a busnell china clone 6x24x50 adjustable objective lens lighted red or green retical target type turrets lens caps with shipping for $34 oh and rings
china will copy anything they can make money on (can see 22cal holes at 300yds}

bruce drake
03-03-2019, 02:04 AM
Bought a New Old Stock tin of 1000 6.5mm Hornady Gas Checks yesterday for $27 on Ebay. I think there may be an issue with the original poster's way he listed the sale rather than Ebay blocking the sale.

William Yanda
03-03-2019, 10:49 AM
I just searched "gas checks" on Ebay and pulled up 18 results. Have you questioned their ban?

bedbugbilly
03-03-2019, 11:39 AM
Just an interesting side - note . . . . it may have been the way they were listed but anyone can file a complaint against a listing and that's important to remember.

Last night, two auctions by the same person closed - both were for percussion caps - it was all in how they listed them. Percussion cap "tins" are listed as they are collectible to some folks. The auction title never mentioned the tins were for the most part full. One lot was for 9 Navy Arms #10 tins - 7 unopened and two opened but containing caps. The other auctions was for 11 tins - 1 musket cap others #11 -some unopened some opened but containing what looked to be nearly full. I just happened to run across them as I was interested in another item the seller had listed and I looked at his other auctions. No harm/no foul as far as I'm concerned - had the wrong individual looked at them though, they could have submitted a complaint for a banned item and they would have been pulled like a lightening streak.

A couple of years ago, I bought an antique "Musket Cap" tin - from late 1800s - I wanted the tine for a display. All the auction noted was that they were selling the tin - had a variety of shots of it but none of it opened. When it arrived, it was full of original 4 wing caps. Had that been noted in the auction, it would probably have been pulled as well.

About five years ago, I bought an original pistol powder flask - a small horn with brass flask head - a veery nice original item - again for display. When it arrived, it was FULL of the original 3F powder. I transferred the powder to a period container and labeled it. I didn't weigh it but I would guess that there was probably close to 3 - 4 ounces. The seller shipped this through regular mail. I contacted them and advised the that if they ever had such a thing again - empty it before shipping as they had just violated postal regulations by to shipping it hazardous rate. Their reply . . . "Sorry. I never even thought about that.".

My point is that it may depend on the wording and just what is included in the description - for those that are savy - a little further reading beyond the initial description can sometimes be "rewarding". A savy seller knows that as well. Sometimes it all boils down to some "creative marketing" on the part of the seller in order to sidestep some of the "anti" and "Left" policies that are ridiculous.