PDA

View Full Version : Food for thought. At least for lovers of surplus!

Buckshot
12-05-2005, 06:51 AM
...........The below from Pat's Reloading, surplus powder and component distributer:

Note: For the people who think this stuff is going to be around forever, The supply of certain stuff is getting real low, the government will not let the tear down contractors resell the components the next time around, A lot of 30-06 and other small arms components will not last forever, The powder for small calibers is in really bad supply.

...............Buckshot

Headstamp
12-06-2005, 01:34 AM
Yes, more waste by the Feds. I suppose they'll dump the powder in the ocean or burn it in big piles.

Wouldn't want anybody to put it to good use now, after all, we originally paid for it.

Lee
12-06-2005, 02:35 AM
I won't say it ain't true, 'cause I just don't know. I will say that disclaimer has been on their site for a year or so now. Just not sure if it's Chicken Little or no....................................Lee :wink:

JohnH
12-06-2005, 10:13 PM
Can anyone tell us why this change of policy? Would it be a Klinton manuever? Any way it can be reversed?

TCLouis
12-06-2005, 11:07 PM
So IF each one of us and we asked 5 friends to write our congressmen and senators and stataed what a waste it would be to do anything else then maybe supplies would look slightly better.

Just remember that for a while we may have been running "short" of standard 5.56 ball ammo and private contracts were instated to beef up the supply.

Remember the old green METAL GI ammo can?

I hear most 5.56 ball and 9mm now comes shipped in genuine GI cardboard boxes. This is the green tip stuff.

LEAST WISE THAT IS WHAT I HEAR!

sundog
12-06-2005, 11:24 PM
Uh-huh, and is that why surplus new manufacture IMR 4895 is available, or did I miss what this is about? Not sure I understand.... sundog

Buckshot
12-07-2005, 05:50 AM
..........I saw that notice at Pats. Bartlett had said he was low on 4895 and had posted:

"Original application is U.S. .30 Cal Ball M2, AP M2, Tracer M25, and
Match M72. THE powder of choice for M1 Garands. An extruded powder which can be loaded using IMR4895 data. This FINAL LOT I have came
from 1972 loaded Tracer M25. This is pulldown extruded powder."

(capitols above are mine)

I know Hi -Tech has 4895 in addition, but Pat's doesn't list any. When I called Jeff Bartlett a month or so back to order the SR4759 he'd made mention of powders getting skimpy. I had never seen that notice from Pat's before. So putting together what Jeff said, and that notice I thought it might have some validity.

If the notice has been up there for some time (years, months?) then who knows?

..............Buckshot

StarMetal
12-07-2005, 11:00 AM
Wideners just got a fresh supply of 4895 in.

Joe

PatMarlin
12-07-2005, 10:59 PM
I fell in love with some 4895, and bought what I wanted, but it was the very last of that lot from Hitech. He said he had 2 left.

Magical- best describes what it's done in my shooters so far. The ones I tried anyways. :bigsmyl2: