PDA

View Full Version : Rapid City, S.D.

richhodg66
02-14-2019, 07:38 AM
I've been through there, of course, but wouldn't say I'm familiar with it. Always thought the Black Hills was the prettiest scenery on earth, and I've been around.

A few things lately have led me to contemplate a move and there's a vacancy in my field there. I'm a Midwest transplant, and I love it. S.D. always seemed to be pretty much like Kansas in most regards, but most of my time there has been east of there.

Good places to shoot? Is the public land there good for hunting (National Forest)? I know there's no income tax there, which is a good thing. A move at this stage of my life would be a challenge, but several developments have happened/probably will happen that make me think it might be a prudent thing to do.

Goatwhiskers
02-14-2019, 09:29 AM
Decisions like that you turn it over to the Lord completely, seek His guidance, and things will work out for the best for you. GW

Messy bear
02-14-2019, 11:20 AM
Good advice GW. Rapid area is nice. We visit often. Good area for an outdoorsman! The western Dakota's are rich in game. Just about no such thing as going hunting and not seeing something .

Hickory
02-14-2019, 11:32 AM
When I was looking back in the 80's land and property prices near Hermosa were fairly cheap. But, this isn't the 1980's anymore.

rockrat
02-14-2019, 12:01 PM
I suspect Winters can be a bit brutal, but you are right, it is a beautiful place.

LUCKYDAWG13
02-14-2019, 12:05 PM
my brother lived in Box Elder small town outside of Rapid city he loved it For me too flat not enough trees wind all the time but I do like the
Black Hills I use to go out there to Deer hunt with him in the Black hills if I were to move out there I would look around Hill city

Beerd
02-14-2019, 07:51 PM
or jump across the state line into Wyoming, it's pretty nice too.

xs11jack
02-14-2019, 08:57 PM
My wife is from South Shore, a small town on the shores of Punished Woman Lake. This whole thing is just north of Watertown. It is kind of flat there. A young boy ran away from home one morning and his parent could still see him at supper time.
Ole Jack

MaryB
02-14-2019, 09:42 PM
Black Hills/Rapid City sits in a geographic anomaly that often gives it warmer winter weather. Nice area, I have hunted out that way. Scroll-able map, open the legend to see what each hunting area is https://sdgfp.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=946eccdaadf84df6aa2bcf08e9fb1aaf

nawagner
02-14-2019, 10:47 PM
My mom grew up in Rapid City, dad went to school there, and I grew up in WY. I've spent a lot of time in the area.

Yes the Nat'l forest is good hunting. Good fly fishing too! You can shoot on Nat'l Forest land as well. Rapid City is a nice town. Good people and large enough to have shopping and things to do. Low cost of living is nice too.

I wouldn't say Rapid gets warmer winters. Warmer than ND, yes. They still get cold weather. It's 3 there right now. It's the foothills of the Black Hills, winter is not warm. The wind does seem to blow less there than areas around it.

Catshooter
02-15-2019, 01:53 AM
As of July we get Constitutional Carry.

Please be careful of who you let in on our secret. There are lot's we don't want here.

Cat

Rex
02-15-2019, 03:15 PM
Rich, if you go to S.D. you have to stop in Nebraska and go to Ole's with me.:D
Rex

GOPHER SLAYER
02-15-2019, 05:32 PM
I drove across South Dakota in July of 1978. While the Black Hills was very pleasant, the drive across the rest of the state was hot, 105% to be exact. After leaving the black hills heading east it is a feature less landscape. We stopped in Mitchell to visit Herters but sadly they were going out of business. Before entering South Dakota we had driven all the way across Wyoming from southwest corner to northeast corner. It was also a big disappointment. I thought we would see herds of cattle and some cowboys. We didn't see a single cow or cowboy. Did see lots of antelope though. Let no one kid you, both those states get bitterly cold during the winter months. It was so cold in Little America, Wy. that our kids couldn't use the pool, and that was in July.

richhodg66
02-15-2019, 06:23 PM
I have traveled quite a bit around the state, Army had me doing training support for the National Guard, spent a lot of time in Sioux Falls and Mitchell, which isn't too different from where I am (good thing), and have been through Rapid City a time or two as well.

Appreciate all the other input. Rex, I'll do that. Gopher Slayer, anybody who chooses to live in California has absolutely ZERO credibility on what constitutes a good place to live, but thanks for your input.

Job won't open til the Summer, gotta consider a few things. Leaving a place I have generally liked a lot for quite a while isn't easy but this could be a good move for me long term.

Idaho45guy
02-16-2019, 03:37 AM
Been through there many times traveling between Iowa and Idaho. My National Guard unit once did our two-week camp near Mount Rushmore. Loved the area and nearly applied for a job a little further South in Hot Springs.

Love the area I live in now, but jobs are hard to find that pay more than $12 an hour, and housing is insane.

Median income is $33k and average home price is $300k. Hate my current job, but at $19 an hour, I can't afford to quit.

Check out this link and look at the data....

http://www.city-data.com/city/Rapid-City-South-Dakota.html

Crime is pretty high with the latest index number at 421.9. National average is 280.5. Where I live now is 25.3.

San Diego is only at 223.5.