PDA

View Full Version : Using GC bullets without GC

Divedigger
02-13-2019, 10:56 AM
will a 358156gc boolit be ok to shoot without check? I will be loading 3.5 grs Bullseye for 38spl. Will they seal in a snub barrell? Thanks

Outpost75
02-13-2019, 11:17 AM
As a general rule, GC design bullets can be used without the GC if the load would otherwise be suitable for a plain-based bullet AND the driving band diameter above the GC heel is large enough in diameter to fit the revolver cylinder throats. You 3.5 grains of Bullseye is appropriate in the .38 Special.

I would, however, try a couple bullets for fit in the cylinder throats. If they enter the front of the cylinder easily and fall through of their own weight, the bullets are too small, unless VERY soft, no harder than 8 BHN, so that they will upset in a standard pressure load. If the bullets enter with slight resistance, but can be pushed through the chambers and out of the cylinder using hand pressure only, wiping a thin film of bullet lubricant on the cylinder throat walls, THAT is PERFECT.

If bullets are large enough that they require force to enter and cannot be pushed into the chambers with thumb pressure only, then they should be sized.

KenH
02-13-2019, 11:47 AM
As a general rule, GC design bullets can be used without the GC if the load would otherwise be suitable for a plain-based bullet AND the driving band diameter above the GC heel is large enough in diameter to fit the revolver cylinder throats. You 3.5 grains of Bullseye is appropriate in the .38 Special.

I would, however, try a couple bullets for fit in the cylinder throats. If they enter the front of the cylinder easily and fall through of their own weight, the bullets are too small, unless VERY soft, no harder than 8 BHN, so that they will upset in a standard pressure load. If the bullets enter with slight resistance, but can be pushed through the chambers and out of the cylinder using hand pressure only, wiping a thin film of bullet lubricant on the cylinder throat walls, THAT is PERFECT.

If bullets are large enough that they require force to enter and cannot be pushed into the chambers with thumb pressure only, then they should be sized.

Outpost75 has spoken and nothing else to add - he's got it covered.

stubshaft
02-13-2019, 01:21 PM
I shot that same boolit sans GC with 2.7 BE. It worked fine!

Divedigger
02-13-2019, 08:32 PM
I like Bullseye because it covers alot of different calibers and keeps things a bit more simple ,but I am well aware and always on the lookout for that double charge.

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-13-2019, 08:41 PM
there is a sticky
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?65035-Can-I-shoot-a-gas-check-design-with-out-the-gas-check

Green Frog
02-13-2019, 09:10 PM
I would hate to have to guess how many 357156 bullets have been loaded and fired in 38 Specials without benefit of gas check. If I could only own one bullet mould for all 38 and 357 loadings, that would be it. It works great for a wide variety of loadings, from mild to very powerful.

Froggie

Michael J. Spangler
02-13-2019, 11:56 PM
I have shot many thousands of that same load scrimped in the bottom crimp groove with great results.
With a Marlin 1894c I can hit a 8” or so steel at 200 yards all day long resting it on some sandbags.
That’s with a whole bunch of mixed brass that I’m sure doesn’t help consistency and accuracy.
Same bullet coated and loaded bare base in 357 mag is know to hit the 8” steel at 300 yards regularly.
I don’t waste my time with has checks but I’m not obsessed with accuracy. If I hear the steel ring I’m happy. .

Land Owner
02-14-2019, 08:57 AM
Michael J Spangler...I can hear it. You set off the primer, the gun goes Bang, and (wait for it...) the gong rings. Then the look on your face...:D

Michael J. Spangler
02-14-2019, 09:09 AM
Michael J Spangler...I can hear it. You set off the primer, the gun goes Bang, and (wait for it...) the gong rings. Then the look on your face...:D

I live for that sound.
I don’t care to shoot paper for accuracy test. I just put a smaller piece of steel out at my set distance and see if I can hit it.
Way more fun!
Sometimes shooting the 148 wadcutters at the 200 is fun too.
I have time to shoot and quickly pull off my ear pro to catch the sound of the ring. Takes about a full second to get there.

Divedigger
02-14-2019, 10:57 AM
Maybe you could use different size plates and have different tones and make a new country song with the sounds from the plates. Wonder what could be some song titles?

Land Owner
02-14-2019, 04:06 PM
Oh, I wish I was in the land of Cotton...

Michael J. Spangler
02-14-2019, 04:14 PM
Maybe you could use different size plates and have different tones and make a new country song with the sounds from the plates. Wonder what could be some song titles?

Great idea.

upnorthwis
02-14-2019, 06:41 PM
At a SASS State match, one of the stages started out like Mary Had A Little Lamb.

Drifty4
02-14-2019, 06:43 PM
Been going to try this for some time on a 44 mag.

Anyone have any luck filing the lube grooves and not the base with a lubrisizer?

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-14-2019, 06:53 PM

Anyone have any luck filing the lube grooves and not the base with a lubrisizer?

The only way to do that with a Lyman or RCBS or Saeco lubesizer, is with a custom die post (part I) to match the contour of your boolit base.
ALSO, it should be easy to setup a Star to do that as well.

Michael J. Spangler
02-14-2019, 07:14 PM

I use a star and it works great. No issues.

upnorthwis
02-14-2019, 10:20 PM
I take the lube off with a fingernail. Takes a couple more seconds per boolit. Haven't had any squib loads due to lube getting in powder. These are .38 Spl. with 3.4 gr. WW231 used for SASS. Some of them have been loaded for a couple years because when running the Dillon 550B that's how many I load.

bobthenailer
02-15-2019, 05:33 PM
of the several moulds that I have that are gas checked , accuracy was allways good without gas checks installed