PDA

View Full Version : Elk hunting with 8mm

nagantguy
02-13-2019, 10:00 AM
As posted in military rifles I’ll be elk hunting with an 8mm Mauser it shoots very wel
With Sierra and Speer jwords. It also shoots the lee 175 very well
With h4895.as I plan to hunt with cast I was looking and dreaming about the NOE 326-198 RF CG mold as I’d like a little heavier than the lee . Anyone have any experience with this boolit ? If you use this and have the mold I’d gladly pay or trade you to make me some.
Let me hear about your favorite recipe and success with this boolit.

MostlyLeverGuns
02-13-2019, 10:48 AM
I have used an 8mm Mauser on 1 cow elk. I used a 200gr Nosler Partition at 2500fps. Using a peep sight on open ground I shot the cow at about 195 yards, she ran about 400 yards, leaving a clear blood spray in the snow. The bullet had cut the aorta and went out through a rib, leaving a 2" exit hole. I would use that load again. If you must punch an elk with a cast bullet, I would suggest a larger diameter, a 358 with a 250 or more. I think in the 8mm, I would want a 225-250 grain at a minimum, if I just HAD to use a cast bullet. Most 8mm have fast twist (1-9.5?) so stabilty would not be a problem. If you limit your shots to broadside lung shots under 200 yards, you will kill them. How far thy run is a different question.

waksupi
02-13-2019, 12:22 PM
The 8mm is the incestuous little brother of the .358 win, and is one of the best cast bullet chamberings for North American hunting. I like the 220-230 weight. Drop me a pm to remind me, I may have a heavy mold I could part with.

nagantguy
02-13-2019, 07:17 PM
Pm sent! Thanks for your input guys,

This is a vintage rifle that my wife bought for me on our 1st anniversary; I fell in love with it when we made an unplanned stop at a gun shop on the way to our anniversary dinner and than the concert I surprised her with; a sold out show that I made a big deal of not being able to get tickets for; when really I’d scored a pair! Wonderful memories, figured I should take a special rifle on a special hunt; will be the first time in 6-7 years the whole CREW will be able to make elk camp!

smoked turkey
02-14-2019, 12:13 PM
Great story, even greater memories. You've got a winner both in the wife and the rifle. I hope your hunt is successful.