PDA

View Full Version : Question on Pedersoli trade gun

BPJONES
02-11-2019, 01:28 PM
On one of our forums, there is a Pedersoli trade gun listed and described as NIB, unfired. 99% of my muzzleloaders are percussion as I haven't really been into flint guns. I'm toying with the idea of this one. The gun is listed for $650.00 Canadian. Retail they are around $1400.00 here. Not factoring in the cost versus retail, is there anything that would make this a gun to shy away from? It's been listed for 5 days with no takers yet which surprises me at the price. It could be because the seller is new with no trader rating.

arcticap
02-11-2019, 02:11 PM
The gun may be an older production, a kit gun, a safe queen or an estate gun that was never used.

I really can't think of much reason to not take a gamble on it as long as you ask a few questions so as to not be surprised to learn the relevant details afterward.

I often try to have a phone conversation with the seller if possible to get to know them and to ask questions, so as to not need to write a book when inquiring about it.

I found a 2018 thread about a new Pedersoli Trade Rifle that had a 2016 proof date code and that was factory made.
Nothing to indicate any serious problems, but a few small production flaws were mentioned.
The buyer seemed very happy.
I would basically want to know what the proof date code is, whether it's a kit gun or not and whether there's any cosmetic issues related to long term storage.
Decent photos are also very helpful when purchasing a gun online in a private sale.
The thread is worth reading just to get a feel for the type of questions to ask the seller or general issues to consider before buying a Pedersoli Trade rifle:--->>> https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/pedersoli-indian-trade-musket-has-arrived.110738/

BTW, I am not a flintlock shooter.
But I am aware that there are other new flintlock models with a similar price range compared to this Pedersoli to give you a competitive choice of which new flintlock to buy.
The most important thing is to know what you're buying without encountering any major surprises.

bedbugbilly
02-11-2019, 09:58 PM
I can't speak to their Trade Gun, but I have seen several of their flintlock military long gun reproductions and I was pretty impressed with them - for a production gun, they appear to be very well made. At the price you are talking - and I won't get in to the exchange rates, etc. - you're talking around the price of the parts to make one - possibly more on the parts. I recently bought a Pedersoli W. Moore - London - flintlock pistol from a member here a few months ago - the price was right considering what they get for them new. I've been shooting BP - percussion & flint for 55 years - have built custom rifles and I'll telll you, the Pedersoli pistol I bought has impressed me. Very well made - excellent fit and finish - lock sparks well. I haven't shot it yet but will when I get back to Michigan in the spring and I expect it to be a good shooter. I have o regrets on buying it.

Good advice above- ask questions and then decide -but it sounds like it may be a good gun that you'd get a lot of enjoyment out of. I have a 20 gauge French fusillade-de-chasse that was custom built probably 24 years ago - a real great gun for patched round ball or shot and there is no reason to shy away from a flintlock- they work just fine. I don[t hunt anymore but with my Fusil Trade Gun, I took a variety of small game in Michigan with it and even a duck or two.

I hope it works out for you- sounds like a very decent price.

BPJONES
02-11-2019, 11:10 PM
The gun sold just before I got back to him. Oh well, I saved some money, lol!

Newtire
02-13-2019, 04:36 PM
I bought one a couple of years ago. It's a well made gun. Pretty simple for all the money they get for it. Mine was just around one "large". I definitely wouldn't pay $1400-but that's just me. If it's what you want, go for it. I have a 16 gauge that appears original that I picked up for a song and carries a bit bigger payload of shot. When you are shooting a smaller bore shotgun with a cylinder bore, ethical ranges are pretty short for me. I shot a few doves with a 14 bore and did alright over decoys. A 20 like that might be a good gun for cottontails. A 20 with a full choke is a whole different story. OK boys-flame on!

rfd
02-18-2019, 08:36 PM
I bought one a couple of years ago. It's a well made gun. .....!

curious, does it have the obligatory patent breech?

cheers,
rob.

Newtire
02-19-2019, 02:01 PM
Will have to do some digging to get it out. Anyone else have one?