PDA

View Full Version : New Gun powder?

gunwerkes
10-12-2008, 10:19 PM
Recently decided to reload 325 short mag. Talked to several powder makers that suggested slow burn spherical powder. However I pulled a new round to see what it was loaded with. The powder looks a lot like black powder. It,s small flakes with no uniform size or shape.
There are a lot of powders out there that I don't have excess to here in Alaska. Any reloader out there that has come across this road block before.
I begin to wonder if Winchester developed a special powder just to fit short mag cases. Hodgdon doesn't seem to have this type of powder either.
Anyone have an idea what this is.
Thanks for any help.:coffeecom:

oneokie
10-12-2008, 11:06 PM
Could be anything.

Ammo manufacturers spec a powder to the powder company, then do load workup for that particular Lot of powder.

Usually called a "non cannister" powder. IE, not available to the public.

Not much help there, but the best explanation I have.

Ricochet
10-13-2008, 10:21 AM
And nowadays they're likely to source powders from different makers all over the world, wherever they find the best deal. Powder might change completely from one lot to another of the same cartridge. You'll never exactly duplicate a factory load. What you have to do is develop loads that work well in your gun, with the components you have available. Sometimes you can come up with loads that are better than factory loads, but it's not nearly as easy as it used to be. Factory stuff has gotten better.

GrizzLeeBear
10-13-2008, 10:47 AM
I have also heard manufacturers will "blend" powders to get the correct burn rate/performance for factory loads. Might be why you see different granule sizes.

The only way to duplicate factory loads is to chronograph them in your gun and then work up with available reloading powders to try and match factory velocities. However, because you are limited to available powders, you might or might not be able to match factory loads.

Heavy lead
10-13-2008, 11:01 AM
And nowadays they're likely to source powders from different makers all over the world, wherever they find the best deal. Powder might change completely from one lot to another of the same cartridge. You'll never exactly duplicate a factory load. What you have to do is develop loads that work well in your gun, with the components you have available. Sometimes you can come up with loads that are better than factory loads, but it's not nearly as easy as it used to be. Factory stuff has gotten better.

Since you're in Alaska, and powder availablility may be difficult, use something more readily available. I don't reload, nor have ever shot the 325, but do reload and shoot for 30 other cf rifle cartridges. I would probably start with R-17, R-19 from Alliant, H4350, IMR4350, AA4350, H414, WW760 and a host of others in this burn-rate range. Alliant, Hodgdon, and Western/Accurate all have great websites that will have 325 data on it. Always wanted to try MagPro in the short mags, but never did, found that R-19 works fine in them.

Boerrancher
10-13-2008, 12:04 PM
Me personally, I stay away from spherical powders as much as possible, especially cases that have large powder capacities compared to their bore size. I have found that with some of these powders the pressures tend to become erratic near the upper end of the load data. Just some food for thought.

Best Wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

bruce drake
10-14-2008, 02:16 PM
I back Joe's call on ball powders in straight pistol cartridges. I've always had good luck with Unique and Red Dot for my cast pistol loads.

Bruce