PDA

View Full Version : Endoscope to see powder checker more easily?

ghh3rd
02-10-2019, 11:11 PM
I use a RCBS Powder Checker Die on my Lee turret press. A glance at the checker assures me that the powder in the case isn’t grossly high or low.

I thought of buying an endoscope to make it easier to see the checker, nothing fancy, just for this purpose. I’d like to use it with my iphone. I was looking through Amazon and thought I’d finally settled on one, only to realize that it has to be recharged every 60-70 minutes.

Anyone have one and want to share any tips on selecting one while avoiding pitfalls such as I mentioned?

I also had a brainstorm and thought that perhaps mounting my iphone in macro photography mode, close to the checker might suffice. Anyone tried that successfully?

Thanks

Randy

Hinnerk
02-10-2019, 11:37 PM
I have a USB endoscope that I use as a bore scope. It is powered from computer or phone so no power issue if such is plugged in (I prefer laptop).

For borescope use it is immensely improved when using a small optic (I happened to have some that I found at a flea market) between the endoscope camera and the right angle mirror. Without the added lens, the focal length is too long to get the rifling in focus. For your purpose, however, it would seem to just be a matter of adjusting distance between camera and your powder.

ghh3rd
02-10-2019, 11:39 PM
Thanks for that. Did you load any special app on your laptop to use it?

Hinnerk
02-10-2019, 11:53 PM
Thanks for that. Did you load any special app on your laptop to use it?

I use guvcview on my Linux laptop.

ghh3rd
02-11-2019, 12:23 AM
Linux... what’s Linux? [smilie=1:

brass410
02-11-2019, 11:31 AM
Linux..... he's the kid on Charlie brown peanuts cartoon with the blanket.

FredBuddy
02-11-2019, 12:57 PM
Linux is a computer operating system that
some folks use instead of Windows.

Maybe Doug Guy will come on to explain
its virtues better than I can.

Conditor22
02-11-2019, 01:51 PM
I have mine hooked to a tablet on a stand behind my press.

with the RCBS powder check die, I got an extra O-ring from RCBS, blackened the white cap and sanded a little off the diameter of the second O-ring so they wouldn't hit. I found this made it much easier for me to see

https://i.imgur.com/tqyKN9C.jpg

gwpercle
02-11-2019, 02:07 PM
If you buy a used one....wash it real good....
you know where the doctor sticks them things right !

ghh3rd
02-12-2019, 09:55 PM
Great idea Conditor!

Land Owner
02-13-2019, 07:12 AM
I just purchased the $10.49 (delivered free) x 5.5 mm endoscope with 5 meter cord (lesser cords are available cheaper). When plugged into the Android (not Apple) iPhone after the CameraFI 2.x app is downloaded from Play Store, the phone's battery is consumed (< an hour) by the LED lights on the camera. I am trying now to see if the battery in an Android Tablet will be longer lived prior to needing its battery recharged.

The timing "problem" with either is the iPhone recharges quickly (say 1 hour) while the Tablet is much longer (say 6 hours) using the same "fast" charging cord. This may or may not be suitable for you. It is honestly economical though. I can find no way to power the phone or tablet simultaneously with use of the endoscope, which plugs into the same outlet as the power cord.

So, either time your reloading session to one hour and take a break to recharge (both you and the phone/tablet), or go the route of a laptop/tower computer and display with hardwired remote camera.

The RCBS Powder Indicator die is a good way to go too (with adjustments as described by Conditor22 above being nice to have).

Land Owner
02-15-2019, 10:03 AM
With endoscope in hand, it is essentially USELESS for barrel inspection as the focal length is too long and there is no macro- or micro-adjustment in the lens with the brand I purchased. YMMV. In this case, "economical" did not equate to "all around" usefulness, though there are a multitude of additional uses for a >15-foot long x 5.5mm endoscope camera. It is easily adapted for use in viewing the balance beam level and for that, an $11.00 investment is quite reasonable.

Traffer
02-15-2019, 11:43 AM
I got a cheap "bore cam" or endoscope off eBay for about $6. Works with micro or normal usb on either phone or computer. As others have stated, can't see much on bores because of the focal length. BUT, I did use it to look into the toilet to see what was plugging it up. "not while there was excrement in there". I was amazed that you could get such a thing for so little money. I told my doctor that I was going to use it to do "self surgery" if I ever needed anything removed. Poor doctor, thought I was serious. You should have seen the look of shock on his face. hahaha

ghh3rd
02-15-2019, 08:01 PM
I like to look stuff up on Google before a doctor visit and quote stuff to the doctor just for grins. I tell them that Dr. Google told me.