PDA

View Full Version : Revolutionary war poder horn.

fiberoptik
02-10-2019, 02:13 AM
https://www.foxnews.com/science/rare-powder-horn-that-belonged-to-african-american-revolutionary-war-soldier-goes-on-display

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

arcticap
02-10-2019, 01:03 PM
The horn helps to provide a little bit of a different perspective about history.

I recently watched a PBS show that was produced by a love of liberty organization that
promoted the stories of many black military heroes and patriotic soldiers throughout history,
both men and women.

Many "firsts" were mentioned, and the heroic deeds that black soldiers performed along with some
1st hand accounts about them by other soldiers, quotes about them by military and political figures,
their being awarded medals, and which was narrated by famous actors, about those special individuals.
There was some authentic video footage as a backdrop for the more modern events.

The show was hosted by Halle Berry, perhaps others have seen it.
It pretty much ended with a military biography about the accomplishments of Gen. Colin Powell.

The bottom line is that the show was about the loyalty and determination to serve that many black
Americans have displayed throughout history despite not being treated equally by many in society,
or being recognized by society for their military service and volunteering their lives.

I watched the show more than once to be sure that I saw the whole thing because it was very
informative and captivating.
My local PBS broadcast the show several times in a row.

For me, this powder horn provides an addendum to the show.
Also, February is traditionally black history month in the US, which is
"a way for remembering important people and events in the history of the African diaspora".

Thanks for sharing.

JBinMN
02-10-2019, 01:23 PM
Very cool!
:)

Thanks! for sharing the link!
:)

bedbugbilly
02-10-2019, 11:51 PM
Very interesting. I hope at some point, someone is able to be allowed to photograph all angles of the horn and publish the photos and history of the horn - a great piece of history! Thanks for sharing.

wch
02-11-2019, 09:36 AM
That puts the NFL "kneelers" to shame, doesn't it?

waksupi
02-11-2019, 01:31 PM
Nice. Many of the high quality horns were made by black craftsmen.

Beeks
02-15-2019, 04:13 PM
Very interesting!