PDA

View Full Version : Hollow-point fill-out

StanDahl
12-04-2005, 10:44 PM
How do I keep the hollow-point pin hot enough to keep the bullet nose from getting wrinkly? This is in an Ideal 31133 (3118hp). While I'm getting the bullet out of the mould, the pin is just sitting there cooling off. Any tips?

MacGregor
12-04-2005, 11:00 PM
i leave the tip in while i am opening the mold. give it a couple twists to release it from the bullet, open the mold, grab the tip handle, and drop out the bullet, it should slide off the tip, close the mold and slide the tip back in..

fecmech
12-04-2005, 11:01 PM
Stan--I use a small propane torch on the bench turned down low, I put the pin in the flame for a few seconds just before I put it in the mold for the next pour. You could also dip it in your lead pot just befor assembly for a second or two. Nick

Bullshop
12-04-2005, 11:32 PM
John
What I do is a double edg sword, it helps in two ways. I use about a 3/8" aluminum plate that covers almost the whole top of the pot accept for the pour linkage. I drill a hole in the plate for the pin to fit in and when I pull it from the mold it goes right in the hole and stays hot. Put a good bevel on the hole. This plate also seems to help maintane a more consistant pot temp. Its also a good way to preheat molds. If you use a ladle I guess this wont help much.
BIC/BS

1Shirt
12-05-2005, 12:46 PM
I just dip the pin in the melted lead, never had a problem. Torch is not a bad idea however if it was held down so it couldn't tip over.
1Shirt :coffee:

buck1
12-05-2005, 06:25 PM
YEP just stir the pot with the pin a bit and your good to go. Casting fast helps as does a slightly higher than normal alloy temp. ...Buck

beagle
12-05-2005, 10:17 PM
I keep hearing folks talk about keeping HP pins hot. I've never had a problem in this area and I cast a BUNCH of HP bullets.

If the mould is up to proper casting temperature and the bullet falls out of the mould as it should, there's little or no delay for the pin to cool down.

Even with .22 HPs, after the mould temp is up, I have no problems.

If the pin is hard to pull out of the mould/bullet after casting after it's heated up, you have pin problems. Normally it's tool marks on the pin. This makes it hard to release. This can be fixed by folding a piece of crocus cloth and pushing the pin in and out several times while putting pressure on the crocus cloth with your fingers. This polishes the tooling rings off the pin and makes it release easier. You may have to repeat this several times and try it.

Once everthing is releasing and working properly, I can run a HP mould so fast that I have to stop and wait for it to cool./beagle

StanDahl
12-06-2005, 01:25 AM
Alrighty, good ideas all around. I'll be trying all of them in turn to see what works best for me and I'm sure I'll get this problem licked. Probably just more practice in getting the motions down pat will help as much as anything. Some crocus cloth does seem to be in order, now that I think back on it. Thanks! Stan

PS - What does a hollow point cast boolit like this do at 32-20 velocities?

DOUBLEJK
12-06-2005, 01:31 AM
This....:-)
http://www.geocities.com/doublejk2/Coon32201.JPG