PDA

View Full Version : Load data.com Question

AnthonyB
02-06-2019, 10:14 PM
Anyone use it? Is it worth the subscription fee?
Tony

BrassMagnet
02-06-2019, 10:42 PM
Here is a logic question for you.
How much is the subscription fee? How many months of paying the subscription fee would it take to buy all of the top reloading manuals for the bullets you want to shoot?
A number of the bullet makers have free data available. Look it up online or call for technical assistance.
Used manuals are a good source of info for all but the newest bullets and Load Data.com is not likely to have load data for those.
Sportsman's Warehouse will let you look up load data while shopping for bullets or powder.
Lee has good generic load data for most calibers which covers a good selection of powders and bullets. One inexpensive book covers most. I always want confirmation on data. If you want a moderate starting load almost any load manual will provide it.
So what service do they provide that is worth my money?

AnthonyB
02-06-2019, 10:58 PM
I should have been more specific and provided more detail in my question. I have most of the major manuals and have settled on the majority of the loads I use. The question comes up because I have recently married and my stepson is starting to reload. I travel to TN where he lives and do not have my manuals with me when I go, and he asks questions about loads I don’t regularly use. The subscription fee is about $35 per year. I do not know what service they provide that is worth your money - I was just asking for input from someone who is already using the site about if it was worth mine.

Bzcraig
02-06-2019, 11:14 PM
I used it for a couple of years but chose not to renew. My logic was that the recipes there are not from, for lack of a better adjective, accredited sources, so have to be verified (as should be done anyway) with another source. With so many manufacturers (both bullet and powder) recipes available online, I chose to just use those sources.

nun2kute
02-07-2019, 12:17 AM
That would be convenient while on vacation or just visiting out of town. I have considered it, I can be lazy at times. When I'm sitting at the Kitchen counter with my laptop, eating, window shopping or whatever, it can be a little in-convenient to have to run downstairs to consult a book. (I definitely have a screen habit) I sprang for Quickload instead and look or consult with name brands online instead.

Seen it iterated here many times .... "Google is your friend"
good luck !

RugerFan
02-07-2019, 12:23 AM
I used it for a couple of years but chose not to renew. My logic was that the recipes there are not from, for lack of a better adjective, accredited sources, so have to be verified (as should be done anyway) with another source. With so many manufacturers (both bullet and powder) recipes available online, I chose to just use those sources.

My experience exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

arlon
02-07-2019, 12:34 AM
I just got my renewal notice a few days ago after trying it for a year. There were some good articles but for the articles, I'd get an online subscription to Rifle, Hunter and Handloader combined for $20/year before I did the load data. I also found out it was extremely easy to start a subscription online but to cancel the required automatic renewal process you have to contact them on the phone and speak to a real person.

You feel like I can find plenty of data with better explanations from a simple google search.

gbrown
02-07-2019, 01:06 AM
There are plenty of loads listed on this site. I have a lot of them in a spread sheet where I copied and pasted. I will browse them and find an acceptable load to start with--cross reference them with some of my data books, and, if need be, go online as others have suggested to look at various powder manufacturer's load data. Gives me confidence to start a specific load and then work up a good load with a chronograph and some fun range time. I was on that site for a couple of years, and decided it wasn't worth the money. Might be for others, but not for me. I keep notes on all my loads and I could make a pretty good loose leave binder that would serve as a load data book. Another idea is the Load Books, USA. I have one for just about all my pistol calibers. Not that expensive and very useful. Easy to carry around and reference.

JBinMN
02-07-2019, 09:36 AM
Have a look at this topic in the link below for a lot of load data references & bookmark it for later. You may want to also send it to your stepson.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?337910-CB-load-data-online-sources

Or, click on the words> CB Load data Online Sources (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?337910-CB-load-data-online-sources)

Might I also suggest you urge him to buy, or maybe you will buy him a manual or two as a gift.

One more thing to remember is Alliant, as well as other component mnfrs' often offer a Free manual if you ask/email them.

Here is a link to Alliants free catalog as an example of what you can get for free just by asking:
http://www.alliantpowder.com/resources/catalog.aspx

G'Luck! & I hope I was able to help.

MUSTANG
02-07-2019, 11:35 AM
MY thoughts:

(1) I have about 15 or 16 reloading manuals.
(2) I look up and collect in pdf format "Old Reloading" manuals that I look at periodically when I am trying a new Boolit or and Od Rifle load.
(3) I have used the Load Data.com site when it periodically has a "Free Trial" day or weekend, and it seems to have many loads.

(4) Lastly - I have the Lee Modern Reloading Book (Hardcopy) and it seems to have just about everything I need for reference when coupled with the Lyman Cast Bullet (Boolit) Handbook.

My recommendation is to buy the Lee Modern Reloading Book https://www.amazon.com/C-Kerman-Outdoor-Precision-Reloading/dp/B000N8OKAU/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1549553263&sr=8-5&keywords=reloading+manual and the Lyman Cast Bullet (Boolit) Handbook https://www.amazon.com/Lyman-Cast-Bullet-Handbook-4Th/dp/B004DWBKQY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1549553571&sr=8-2&keywords=lyman+cast+bullet+handbook ; This will cost you $59.00 from Amazon as of this morning. It's $24 more for the two books; but postures one for almost all their reloading questions for years to come; and they work when they power is off.

AnthonyB
02-07-2019, 12:50 PM
Fellas; thanks for all the replies. You have confirmed what I already suspected.
Tony

RED BEAR
02-07-2019, 12:57 PM
I have thought about joining to and am not sure are the loads by members or are they compiled from load manuals and powder companies and the like.

dragon813gt
02-07-2019, 01:09 PM
There are a lot of manuals available online for free. These are actual manuals w/ pressure data in them. Download the PDFs and use a service like Dropbox to store them. Now you have access to them anywhere you have a computer or smartphone. I add to my collection yearly. Dropbox will be free if all you’re using it for is the manuals.

I personally don’t trust loads from other people. Even loads printed in Handloader magazine scare me to an extent. There’s no pressure data for them. I bought Quickload and use it if I’m working off book. I trust my methods more than I will ever trust anyone else’s. And if I’m using a load from Handloader I run it through Quickload first. Better safe then sorry.

And before anyone says it. Yes, I know Quickload is an estimation. If all parameters are entered correctly I’ve found it’s predictions to be very close to reality.