PDA

View Full Version : Unidentified Projectile Found

pilgrim98908
02-06-2019, 07:49 PM
Wow! I haven't been here for over 5 years. Which is about how long it's been since I cast any boolits.
But never mind that.
While walking recently, I found along the sidewalk the object depicted in photos attached and description below. To all appearances, it is a large-caliber bullet but the location is a suburban area. To my knowledge, this has never been near a firing range or military aircraft operations area.
However, the following circumstances apply: the area is on the southern fringe of Prescott Valley, AZ and has only in the last 25 years come under development. Right now, the immediate area is under heavy residential development requiring extensive terraforming: they’re hauling out a lot of dirt along the road I was walking. So whatever this is could have been dug up by heavy equipment and loaded onto an outbound truck, falling off along the way.
First thought: I am dismissing the idea that this is a modern black-powder projectile. As an .80 caliber bullet weighing one and a half ounces I cannot imagine firing this from the shoulder – but I could be wrong.
I reload small arms ammunition and cast my own lead bullets. This slug shows evidence of having once having been in a cartridge case: witness the evidence of a sealant in the area that would have been in the brass of a case. The chamfered base implies seating it into a case. The shiny ring may be an artifact of having been removed from one.
I know of no modern (20th century and up) U.S. military ammunition that is not a jacketed bullet. This slug, with its hollow core, puts me in mind of a Minie ball, designed to expand and seal the bore upon gas impulse from the burning powder. Might the inner ring in the cavity been intended to maintain the integrity of the base at its departure from the bore, while the area inside the base, with a thinner wall, would expand? Thus, I wonder if this slug might date back to black-powder days, being intended for use in a large-bore, mounted weapon: rifled – or a smoothbore?
It shows no sign of having been fired, that is, it lacks impact deformities of any sort. Deposits in the cavity appear to be mineralization.
As an aside that probably doesn’t relate, Generals Crook and Miles based their pursuit of the Apaches in the 1870s and 1880s at Fort Whipple, only about eight miles from here on the north side of Prescott, AZ.

EDIT: Oops! I see I did not put LOA in the pictures. This thing is 1.563" (39.5mm) long.

Winger Ed.
02-06-2019, 08:11 PM
The Germans had some huge pistols for shooting at charging calvary, and There were giant Howda pistols for elephants at close range.
But my first guess if it's fairly soft Lead, is that it is some form or fashion of a shotgun slug.

lightman
02-06-2019, 08:20 PM
My guess is a fishing sinker of some sort. I've melted some that looked like that but were smaller. The ones I had looked exactly like the picture but were about 9mm or 38 caliber and were dead soft.

WheelgunConvert
02-06-2019, 08:22 PM
Could it be a bearing shaft?

Hogtamer
02-06-2019, 08:49 PM
The guys in the shotgun forum weigh their projectiles in Ounces, not grains:bigsmyl2: 1 1/2 oz doesn't raise an eyebrow...size that to .735 and they will line up to load it!!!

rancher1913
02-06-2019, 09:00 PM
looks like the nose section of a boring machine. the power and phone companies use the machine to bore underground holes to pull their wire through so the dont have to dig up intersections or sidewalks.

Gewehr-Guy
02-06-2019, 09:00 PM
My guess is some type of cement anchor, drive it in a hole drilled in a concrete wall, and screw in a bolt of some kind.

NyFirefighter357
02-06-2019, 10:24 PM
It looks like a wedge for an anchor bolt.

samari46
02-07-2019, 12:06 AM
Could be the wind screen from a larger projectile. Normally would fit over the nose of a projo to give it better wind resistance. The fuze would probably go onto the cylindrical cavity of what you found. However having said all that I could be completely off base. Frank

Dusty Bannister
02-07-2019, 12:27 AM
Anyone familiar with 20 MM rounds? The projectile diameter would possibly be about right. It did not look like any of the images I saw on a search, but could be some type of training round that had the bullet pulled. Wiki had a lot of different projectiles listed.

Liberty1776
02-07-2019, 01:04 AM
Arizona was a military training area for many years before people decided to move here because it's a wonderful area to be free. I did so myself, evacuating from the lost cause that is California.

We often find expended 50-cal Browning machine gun rounds here. There are even aircraft fuselages that crashed in the desert decades ago.

This might be a military round of some sort, expended during a training run.

salty dog
02-07-2019, 08:58 AM
Can you tell what material it is? The base doesn't look cast or swaged, it looks machined. I'm guessing it isn't a projectile.

JBinMN
02-07-2019, 09:03 AM
Anyone familiar with 20 MM rounds? The projectile diameter would possibly be about right. It did not look like any of the images I saw on a search, but could be some type of training round that had the bullet pulled. Wiki had a lot of different projectiles listed.

^A 20MM projectile was what first came to my mind.

Maybe a tracer round? Having a hollow interior for phosphorus/magnesium or something(pyrotechnic flare) that would burn after being ignited by the smokeless perhaps...

Very interesting find!

pilgrim98908
02-07-2019, 10:48 AM
Winger Ed, I hadn't thought along the lines you mention (a Howdah pistol;) you may be on to something with that. Same holds true for the shotgun connection Hogtamer mentioned. A 10 gauge bore is .775", closer even that a 12.

I appreciate the responses here, guys; thank you and anyone else who chimes in. This is a real puzzler to me. If I don't get an answer here, it's off the NRA staff with my question, and if nothing there, the Smithsonian.

BK7saum
02-07-2019, 11:02 AM
Can you tell what material it is? The base doesn't look cast or swaged, it looks machined. I'm guessing it isn't a projectile.

Can you confirm that it is actually lead or a soft metal? Does a magnet stick?

fatelk
02-07-2019, 11:42 AM
I’ll have to go with those here that think it’s probably some kind of construction or industrial component. I suspect that you’ll eventually find that it’s not a projectile of any kind, and has nothing to do with firearms.

WheelgunConvert
02-07-2019, 01:54 PM
It really looks like a thrust bearing like used on a wheel puller.

1911sw45
02-07-2019, 02:24 PM
I agree with Wheelgunconvert.

country gent
02-07-2019, 06:40 PM
May have been a seal end for a valve of some type.

Blanket
02-07-2019, 07:52 PM
looks like a sandpoint tip

edp2k
02-07-2019, 10:24 PM
Is the metal hard or soft?
If its hard, its probably not lead.

To me it smells like a hardened steel or carbide tip from the cutting head from some road grinding machine or road hole boring machine.

Hardcast416taylor
02-12-2019, 12:57 PM
A friend of once bought a baggie of copper objects that looked exactly as yours do at a yard sale. He thought they were HB target bullets. Upon examining them further we discovered that they were welding tips from an robotic welding job in an auto plant that someone had `borrowed` for the copper.Robert