PDA

View Full Version : Back on Win7

Mal Paso
02-06-2019, 10:07 AM
My 2 year old Win 10 HP would flicker and flash on bootup and was sluggish as hell once running after all the kluged ms updates. The mouse would take a second to respond every time I used it.

I bought the last model Panasonic Toughbook CF31 used (let GSA make the first payment), put in a 1TB solid state drive, Win7 and this computer SMOKES the HP. Photoshop loads 5 Times Faster. Every other operation is at least twice as fast not just loading from the hard drive.

I tried Linux and it took 2 days to get the hard drive back. Linux does not have anything comparable to Photoshop or QuickBooks and file systems aren't compatible.

This keyboard is lighted and has real switches, no more missing letters. I like my computer again!

I see all these hot new computers for sale and know the engine is a 4 cylinder 1200 cc salvaged from a wreck.

farmerjim
02-06-2019, 10:30 AM
I have win 7 on one of my computers for those few MS programs that I need to use, but everything else is linux. Both Ubuntu and Mint. I use to like Ubuntu the best, but have grown to like Mint better. One of the computers that I just rebuilt was a dual boot Win XP and linux. The storage drive was NTFS so both systems could use it.

dragon813gt
02-06-2019, 03:50 PM
My work laptop is Win7. But I have no choice over it. Some of the PLC programs we use won’t run on Linux or newer flavors of Windows. My personal laptop is an old Lenovo Ultrabook running Win 8.1. It was purchased right around the time Win8 came out. So sometime in 2013 is probably a safe guess. This is the most trouble free computer I’ve ever had. Longest lasting as well because constant hardware upgrades aren’t needed anymore. It will be a sad day when it gives up the ghost.

I’ve tried Linux. Had multiple flavors running on VM’s on my server. Didn’t like any of them. No Quickbooks compatibility is a deal breaker for me anyway. Having to run programs in Wine lead to problems. I tried multiple times but I haven’t found a version that will work for me.

I’m looking at new laptops. I have a lot of DVDs to convert and a multi core CPU w/ hyper threading will speed up the conversions a lot. Same goes for converting the large music collection I have. But everything runs on Win10. Have constant issues w/ the step daughters laptop that runs it. Microsoft screwed up the October update and still haven’t been able to fix all the issues. Maybe one day I will buy a new laptop.

Mal Paso
02-06-2019, 08:37 PM
dragon,
I tried running QuickBooks on Wine, wasn't stable enough to use. DVD drives are getting scarce. Only 2 computers in the store had DVD when I bought the HP 2 years ago. This Toughbook is a Swiss Army Knife with a quality DVD burner. I bought the last model Toughbook with Win7 64bit drivers. It had 1250 hours on it when I got it, I hope it lasts a good long while. It takes days to install all the software and debug. Wadaya mean Thunderbird didn't finish Export and I have to cut, paste then hack the info file????

dragon813gt
02-07-2019, 07:55 AM
I have two external DVD burners. One is powered through USB and the other has to be plugged into the wall. The one that requires power is faster. Optical drives are dead at this point. Ultrabook don’t have them so I’ve been using externals for a long time. Progress sucks at times.