PDA

View Full Version : I probably should have stayed in bed, it was one of those days.

LenH
02-04-2019, 11:30 AM
This past Saturday the freezing weather went back up north where it belongs. I wanted to load some .308 rounds and head to the range.
I have been having some trouble with an old RCBS digital scale so I drag out the Dillion Eliminator beam scale. I get the scale set up and ready to go.

I was going to load some ladder loads with a NOE 310-167-FN-AK3 gas checked bullet, lubed with Carnauba Blue. I had good luck with 17.0 & 17.5 gr of 2400.
the groups Were getting close to MOA groups at 100 yards. Things went to **** at 18.0 grains of 2400. I am still looking for the sweet spot and was going to start
at 17.3 and load up to 17.7 and see if I could find that sweet spot somewhere in between.

Here is where everything went to the dogs so to speak, a major mind fart. I had 20 rounds loaded and then noticed that the scale was set for 16.3 grains and not
17.3. Well I pulled the bullets and started over and made sure it was set for said 17.3. I load 10 and forgot to bump the load up the 1/10 of a grain and loaded 10 more.
Being too irritated to destroy more bullets so I have 20 to put on one target, and finished out the rest of the batch up to 17.6.

I hope I am not the only one to have a major mind fart like that while reloading. Those senior moments happen from time to time but the switch back to a regular scale
sure had me stumped. And no I didn't make it to the range.

44Blam
02-04-2019, 11:58 AM
The other day I loaded a ladder of w296 boolits for my tokarev. Was just finishing up and I dropped the box of boolits. They scattered and I had no idea of which were which. So, loaded 30 more and didn't drop it... I think I'm gonna be pulling those tonight.

dogmower
02-04-2019, 12:21 PM
don't feel bad. 2 weeks ago I loaded 40 rounds of cast for my 300 bo. it was the only gun I took to the range the next day, which is 35 miles away. pulled the trigger on the first one, nothing. thought, bad primer. next one, same thing. now something's wrong. never had 2 bad primers in a row in 30 years of reloading. 3rd one was a squib that lodged the bullet about 3 inches into the barrel. you guessed it - no powder. I usually run a penlight over the rounds as they're sitting in the block, before seating the boolits, didn't that time. moral of the story? don't load at 3 am when you're tired but can't sleep. old and confused doesn't help either. and no, I wasn't drinking.

458mag
02-04-2019, 12:26 PM
Don't even get me started. Some days it just sucks to be us.

dogmower
02-04-2019, 12:37 PM
I still say the worst day I ever had at the range beats the best day I've ever had at work.

LenH
02-04-2019, 03:23 PM
dogmower - The gun club I belong to is right at 36 miles from my driveway. I get over there one day and get my rifle, rest and rear bag all set up, shag
a target out to 100 yards and flip the lid on my rifle ammo and discover that I didn't put the ammo through the FCD and nothing I had would chamber.
I'm just glad I had some handguns and ammo with me. So it wasn't a total loss.

odfairfaxsub
02-04-2019, 05:16 PM
Wondered why one day when I was shooting my ladder loads that my groups had vertical stringing like I’ve never had before......I was grabbing a shell w 23.0gr then a shell w 24.0gr then a shell w 25.0gr etc. I was grabbing them wrong lol.

Luckily for me I just repeated that test on all new and clean targets then laid them on top of each other and compared that way.

I did think to myself how could I have let this happen!

tazman
02-04-2019, 05:59 PM
Momma always said there would be days like this. She just didn't say they would come this often.

beezah
02-04-2019, 06:04 PM
I have had similar issues so I now mark all rounds with data directly on the brass casing. Lasts for onee range date and if dropped can be put back in sequence without much cussin

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

OS OK
02-04-2019, 06:26 PM
hehehehehe...I'm glad that I never make mistakes & never screw up & never forget anything...hehehehehehe

and...I 'almost' never lie

tazman
02-04-2019, 08:04 PM
I ain't talking about mine. As far as you know I never made any. As far as you know.

40-82 hiker
02-04-2019, 08:52 PM
Back in the late sixties my Dad and I went to the range to shoot BP guns. This time in particular we forgot the BP. How does the human brain work? Heck, I still remember it as a fun day, at any rate.

Walter Laich
02-04-2019, 09:41 PM
Just today ran across a lone .45 Colt cartridge--was going to guess either pistol or rifle and decided pulling the bullets was the safest decision

I did pull over 100 .45-70s, all reloads, that went through flooding from Hurricane Harvey. They sat is water for over 2 weeks. Amazing 1/3 of them were still dry inside.

After wet tumbling for 4 hours cases looked like new. Lead bullets went back in pot and used the powder on the flowers in the garden

wmitty
02-05-2019, 02:05 AM
Loaded 50 ladder loads in .375 H & H in tray and only marked the ones along the edge with the charge wt. thinking "hey, I won't turn that over". WRONG!

Land Owner
02-05-2019, 07:29 AM
I am human and make mistakes.

After an extended reloading and handgun shooting weekend, I later put rifle powder into the hopper of the Progressive press without cleaning the remnant handgun powder from the hopper first. The resultant rifle round primer went off, the mixed powder went "pop", and I watched the bullet dribbled out of the muzzle end with nearly zero velocity to land about 4-feet in front of the bench. There was a mess of unburned powder in the barrel.

Oh Boy! THAT got my undivided attention! My private range session was immediately terminated. My guns were packed up, I headed the 30-minutes home, and the investigation for cause was ON!!!

Ten bullets were dismantled and WRITTEN procedures put in place to LABEL the powder dispenser, EMPTY the hopper at the end of EVERY reloading session (no more waiting till tomorrow), and CHECK for an EMPTY hopper prior to filling with new powder.

It only takes a millisecond for the brain to check OUT and then IN again. In that millisecond, conditions can change.
Watch for it.

redhawk0
02-05-2019, 08:47 AM
I'll take a crappy day reloading or hunting over the day I had yesterday.

My boss wants me to attend a training class in Shanghai, China. Next month...I hate news like this...Not real excited to go to Communist China for 2 weeks. Although I should be used to it...I do live in Communist Massachusetts.

redhawk

dale2242
02-05-2019, 08:54 AM
I drove 120 miles for an eastern Oregon sage rat shoot only to discover that the bolt to my 223 was still in the safe at home.
Luckily I had my 22 hornet with me.
After spilling one box of ladder loads and mixing them up, I started marking the primers of each load with different color felt markers and recording not only the load but which color primer each was...dale

RED BEAR
02-05-2019, 09:49 AM
Seems that i have a lot more of these type days than i used to. Best to just smile and remember tomorrow is another day.

lightman
02-05-2019, 10:53 AM
Some days just be that way. Its too bad that we don't know ahead of time when they are going to happen! I guess its called life for a reason!

mold maker
02-05-2019, 12:00 PM
Ya gotta have the bad days, to make ya appreciate the good. My appreciator is getting worse for all the recent wear.

fast ronnie
02-05-2019, 12:56 PM
Yesterday, I wanted to finish up a new hardness tester and all I wanted to do was make a threaded ring to screw onto the threaded point. As the thread pitch is 3/4 x 10, I wanted 20 divisions marked on it to show .005 advance for each mark. I put it in the index head and proceeded to mark them every 10 degrees. That gave me 36 divisions, so scrap that one. I make another and put in the index head, then mis-index about halfway around. I scrap that one and start over. I get the index done successfully, put it in the lathe to chamfer the edges, get the first side done with a threading tool and start to do the other side. The ring is threaded against a shoulder to hold in place, and guess what, the ring comes loose and unscrews itself running backward over the threading tool scrapping that one. I finally got one made and marked without messing up. This should have been a five to ten minute job, tops. Instead, I spent over an hour on this while I had two jobs promised to deliver before the end of the day to two important customers.

I did eventually get the two jobs done and delivered. I made it to the bank at 10 minutes 'till closing time.

I'm just glad I didn't start on the customer's jobs first. One was a 1917 Harley single cylinder that needed bored and honed. It took the customer more than a year to find an original cast iron piston and this for a very rare 1917 single cylinder bike. Harley had basically quit producing that engine in 1915, so to find one to replace it is just not going to happen. This kind of thing is just about enough to make one a nervous wreck.

Both jobs got done and delivered. Today, I get to work on MY stuff. (I hope)

Taterhead
02-05-2019, 07:47 PM
Kinda like driving to the range to chrony some new loads, and forgetting the chrony. Or going to the chrony to review results and pressing "delete string" instead of review string.

Or taking a rifle to the range, and forgetting the bolt.

Or that cool auto loading handgun that is a one shot since you forgot mags.

Or bringing the gun, but not the ammo

Or getting to the unattended outdoor range and having forgotten the gate keycard.

Yep, have had some days like that.

:bigsmyl2:

Snow ninja
02-05-2019, 08:35 PM
Loaded 100 ladder rounds for 2 different bullets/ 2 different powders. Had them in a marked plastic case. Knocked the whole thing over onto the carpet...

Walks
02-05-2019, 09:26 PM
Years back I made plans with a Buddy to go out to our shooting spot in the desert, 2 1/2 hour drive from SW LA Cnty. Bring Lots of Guns & Lots of Ammo.

Campout overnight, grill BIG ribeyes.

He and his son got out all the extra mags and preloaded them, whilw watch TV. Put them in a rangebag. Left at backdoor with ice chest.

Next morning I throw my gear in the truck on top of their's, at 5am. Off we go, stopped for breakfast.

Arrived at shooting spot, set up camp. Then set up target racks & steel plates. Put awning up over shooting tables. Uncase & rack my Ar-15 & M1 & his AK's & FN LAR & various Bolt Guns.

He noticed the Mags that stay in his AK's & FN aren't there. Then we can't find the shooting bag with all the preloaded mags. Check the Pistol cases. Not a single 1911, Hi-Power, Glock or H&K USP had a mag in them.

Ten semi-auto guns with a single magazine. When sent out to the garage to get the extra mags for preloading, the kid had pulled out the magazine's of the cased guns already loaded in the truck too.

The only gun in common I had brought was a 1911.
He had 6ix revolvers & 2 bolt guns, but 10 single shot semi-auto's.

Why that kid pulled the magazine's out of their guns was beyond Jeff & I. That he had forgotton that range bag was very aggravating.

When shot for about 4 hours, broke down camp, came home.

A teenage boy brain working, when sent out to the garage for all the spare mags, he just collected every single mag, thought that meant the mags that always stay in their guns.

When we got home, Jeff gave me the Ribeyes. Said "I may not feed him for a week or several".

Took a long time for that kid to live that down.

mac60
02-06-2019, 02:47 PM
I still say the worst day I ever had at the range beats the best day I've ever had at work.

That is a cold hard fact!

Petander
02-06-2019, 07:48 PM
We have this shooting test to qualify for deer,moose,bear etc hunt.

I once decided to shoot one hole with those four shots @ 75 m, very easy with my 300 WM LR setup. Just to show off and amuse myself.

People watching , I took my carefully crafted best ammo and missed with the first shot, 4" high because I forgot to dial myself back from the 300 m setting I was shooting the day before.

It's very hard to fail that test and I shoot 1" @ 300 m for 15 years with that rifle. But when the group is in a wrong place...

lightman
02-06-2019, 08:40 PM
My casting day today started out that way. I finally got my act together and made a decent day of it!

atr
02-06-2019, 08:43 PM
sometimes our "therapy" goes south; I've had those days too.
:veryconfu

DeputyDuke
02-06-2019, 09:28 PM
I decided that my retirement forever property would have proper siting for my own shooting ranges. Now if I forget something, need a cleaning rod, want to quickly load some more ammo, I walk 50 yards back to the house. The only range I have to drive to is the 22 silhouette range, and it is 500 yards from the house and I "drive" a UTV.