PDA

View Full Version : Went shooting with my Dad

richhodg66
02-03-2019, 11:56 PM
Weather was good, wasn't gonna waste time with the Super Bowl, so I drove down and took my dad to the new state range they just opened in El Dorado.

Dad's 83 now, probably the most knowledgeable gun nut and quite a competition pistol shooter in his day. He was a very passionate fan of falling block single shot rifles too, and he picked up this repro High Wall in .30-40 Krag shortly before we moved him and mom into assisted living before he really got to do anything with it. We lost Mom (his wife of 58 years) in December, and I've been meaning to get to see him more often than I have been. Anyway, he had a blast with the rifle, still shoots pretty well for his age and after detaching a retina in his shooting eye many years ago. That new range in El Dorado is a darn ice facility too. Good day all the way around, I need to break loose from being so busy and do things like this more often.
235238 235239

Loudenboomer
02-04-2019, 12:16 AM
Glad you had a afternoon with your Dad enjoying a mutual hobby. Those are precious times.
There will always be another superbowl. Mabey the KC Chiefs next year! :)

DIRT Farmer
02-04-2019, 12:21 AM
Make and enjoy the time, I wish it was possible to go shooting with my Dad but it will be on the other side. I have many good memories though.

Winger Ed.
02-04-2019, 12:41 AM
That's great.
Enjoy the company of them old folks while ya can.
I've learned that they'll be gone sooner than ya realize.

ghh3rd
02-04-2019, 12:43 AM
Heck yeah, enjoy spending time with him as long as you can. I’m 65, spent the afternoon at the outdoor range with my son today. Good times...

xs11jack
02-04-2019, 01:02 AM
Just remember that people are more important than things.
Go see your family and friends.
Ole Jack

Bookworm
02-04-2019, 09:26 AM
My Dad is in his late 80s, and lives several states away. A few years ago, I called him up and invited him on a hog hunt. He came here, we went hunting, spent a few days together. He even got a small hog.

I'm glad I did it before he got too infirm to accompany me.

Idaho45guy
02-04-2019, 10:38 AM
Awesome!

I have two dads. No, not for the "modern" reason. My biological dad, who left when I was two, and my stepdad, who married my mom when I was six.

Both are firearms enthusiasts. Biological dad is a legend in the hunting/fishing/shooting world and used to write for Field & Stream and rubbed shoulders with Elmer Keith.

He has a place in the country about 12 miles away with an indoor shooting bench and rifle range up to 300yds. I use it about every other week or so to develop loads.

Stepdad is retired Chief of Police/FBI and also into hunting and shooting.

Ironically, both of them winter down in Arizona, so I haven't seen either one for months. Looking forward to Spring and their return.

I'm 50 and amazed that I always learn something new from either one of them when we go shooting. Both are in their 70's and I treasure every time we get to spend together.

Alstep
02-04-2019, 01:55 PM
My son & I did a lot of high power shooting when he was a kid. Went to Camp Perry every year. That was years ago and a lot of good times. Now age & arthritis prevent me from position shooting, so every once in a while when he can get away from work, we take in some action pistol shooting. I'm old & slow now, but sure enjoy shooting together with him again. Means more to me than ever before. Hoping my granddaughter will take an interest.
Good for you & your dad. Bet it meant a lot to both of you.

Hogtamer
02-04-2019, 02:04 PM
I suspect you can't begin to imagine what that means to him Rich...spending the time, just the visit, the shooting just a little bonus. Good on you, better on him.

AZ Pete
02-04-2019, 03:28 PM
I suspect you can't begin to imagine what that means to him Rich...spending the time, just the visit, the shooting just a little bonus. Good on you, better on him.

could not have been said better. When my folks entered assisted living, I spent five days with them, three or four times per year, alternating with my siblings. They thrived on the visits, drives in the country etc..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GARD72977
02-04-2019, 03:37 PM
Seeing an old guy with a Falling block just seems right. He looks happy. My dad is not a shooter. Looks like a wonderful day.

Tom W.
02-04-2019, 04:22 PM
When My Dad retired from the USMC we moved to Saugerties, N.Y. He lost all interest in shooting, or so it seemed. As much as he liked to fish, he didn't do that either. Shortly after I graduated High School I move to Pensacola for a short time, then on up to Eufaula, Alabama where I stayed for 40 some years. Dad move to P-Cola and stayed there. He'd come up and visit, and shoot some of my handguns. He really liked my Government Model Colt 1911. We fished in the lake, but he wasn't too keen on motorboats.
When I went to visit him he and I would always find a way to go fishing in the salt water.
He lived until he was 84. I still miss him.

skeettx
02-04-2019, 04:40 PM
GOOD on Ya!!
Well done
Thank you for bonding with dad :)

RED BEAR
02-04-2019, 08:24 PM
Cherish every minute with family.

Wis Tom
02-04-2019, 08:39 PM
Good job, a moment that can never be stolen, Rich. My father is 95, and his favorite says right now is" time waits for knowone."

richhodg66
02-04-2019, 09:13 PM
Seeing an old guy with a Falling block just seems right. He looks happy. My dad is not a shooter. Looks like a wonderful day.

Two things he used to collect were Colt Woodsmans and Stevens 44 1/2 rifles. At one time, he probably had the best collection of the Stevens 44 1/2s anywhere, but gradually started downsizing a few years ago, now only a couple left that had issues, eventually I'll get them going again. The rifle in the pictures is a Cimmaron High Wall replica with a good Marbles tang sight. It's his rifle, I'm just keeping it for him and loading for it now. It's a very fine rifle, probably a lot better than the original Winchesters.

Idaho45guy
02-05-2019, 06:39 PM
Two things he used to collect were Colt Woodsmans and Stevens 44 1/2 rifles. At one time, he probably had the best collection of the Stevens 44 1/2s anywhere, but gradually started downsizing a few years ago, now only a couple left that had issues, eventually I'll get them going again. The rifle in the pictures is a Cimmaron High Wall replica with a good Marbles tang sight. It's his rifle, I'm just keeping it for him and loading for it now. It's a very fine rifle, probably a lot better than the original Winchesters.

My dad gave me his Uberti High Wall clone and I've used it in BPCR competitions. One rifle I now have zero use for but will never sell...

Snow ninja
02-05-2019, 08:52 PM
I will always remember the last time me and Dad went shooting. I had just gotten my new carry gun, a Sig P238. We stepped out back and ran a few mags. He fell in love with it. Don't think I can ever sell that one.

Only old dude I've got left is Grandpa, who was also something of a famous shooter/writer back in his day. Only gotten to shoot once with him these past few months. He's been up in the city taking care of his older brother in his end days. Try and make some time with him every chance I get- won't ever regret it.

Glad you got the time and some pics too.

Conditor22
02-05-2019, 09:13 PM
My grandfather was a contractor (like me) and a gun "fanatic :) He passed before I was born. My dad not so much, we had nothing in common. He kept grandpas 2 newest guns, a 22 and a 4-10. Someone riped grandma off when she moved out of the house paying $800 for 170+ guns, loading gear and accessories.

IF you don't make time to be with your parents, there is no going back when they are gone.

Good for you for taking the time and making more memories you'll keep forever

country gent
02-05-2019, 10:08 PM
When I quit driving Dad would drive me to the local bpcr matches. 1st match we were short one person so the director asked Dad if He would score for me. He picked it up quick and enjoyed it. Made friends with most of the guys. For almost 2 years We had this routine. I and several others tried to get him to fire a few rounds different times but no go. I can remember the first match we were setting up for rams at 500yds and he told me that's really a long ways. I'm setting the scope for zero, and hes watching. We get the fire command I ask him if he's ready and he's on the big binoculars. I fire and ram swings then dings heard. I went on to clean the rams. Looked over and He's smiling, Tells me I thought you'd missed when the ram swung didn't realize how long it took the bullet to travel that far. Or the sound to travel back. We did this for almost 2 seasons like this. I think he liked getting out and the new friends along with lunch with the crew. I know he enjoyed seeing me compete.

osteodoc08
02-07-2019, 09:50 PM
Good job on getting dad out. (My) Dad died 6 years ago in May at the age of 57. Not a day goes by I don’t think of him. Hold onto those memories andnprint those pictures with the date and location. It’ll be yournkids asking you the details later. I lost an entire external hard drive of baby pictures and pictures of me and dad when my soon to be ex wife stole it and pawned it or trashed it. Keep those memories safe.

trails4u
02-07-2019, 10:54 PM
Last time I shot with my dad was in the Arizona desert, I'm guessing 15 years ago. It's never been a huge mutual interest of ours, but he was a hunter in his younger days and my love of guns stems from admiring his (few) guns as a young man and then shooting/hunting with them as a teenager and into my adult years. I'm in SC these days, and he in Montana, so our opportunities are limited. I am, however, inspired to get the old man out for some shooting next time I make it up that way. He's not getting any younger.....and struggling with some health issues, so the chances may be getting slim.

Thanks for sharing, the photos are awesome! ….and inspiring!

mold maker
02-10-2019, 01:09 AM
This thread reminded me of a great group.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc7ZDrDAZCA&index=14&list=RDwIQQDYaoWpc

Hope it works for ya.

Ole Joe Clarke
02-10-2019, 10:04 AM
What a blessing to grow up with your Dad. My Dad passed away when I was almost 10 years old. I don't remember going fishing or hunting with him. Now I am almost old, (75) and I shoot with my Wife and Daughters, and I enjoy every minute of it.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

richhodg66
02-10-2019, 11:33 AM
My Dad was never much of a hunter, just wasn't his thing. He was quite an outdoorsman in other respects, mainly a backpacker and did some pretty lengthy remotes hikes in interesting places, but we (me and three other sons) spent a great deal of time doing that up in the piedmont of the Appalachians in S.C. I picked up hunting somewhere along the way, but it was an out growth of the passion for guns and shooting and also the outdoors.

My folks were good parents, no doubt about it, and I know I am very fortunate to have been born into a situation like that. I work with teenagers real closely in my line of work now, many are great kids, but there are an awful lot of them now who really don't have that in their lives and society is already feeling the impact of it.

David2011
02-13-2019, 04:11 AM
Congratulations on an unforgettable day. Sure wish I could take Dad shooting. He's still with us, 85 years old and his mind and health are great other than the arthritis that has damaged his hands so badly that he struggles with a knife and fork. He loves to shoot and still has some nice guns.