PDA

View Full Version : Group Buy '38 Slim'

larry h
10-12-2008, 11:22 AM
Loaded up 20 rds with the GB 38 Slim. Weight 101-102grs. Sized them @ .358, used Bullseye @ 2.5grs, OAL 1.427, lube used Javalina, revolver used Ruger Police Service Six 4" bbl (fixed sights). Fired all 20 rds at 30 FT.. I am very impressed. Group size just over 2". Rounds fired bench rest not off hand. If I knew how to post the target I would. There are some lube splatter marks on the target due to the LARGE lube groove but, who cares. I can"t wait to load some more up and test fire them in my S&W revolvers at 25 yds. Will also work up other loads. Great little boolit! R/Larry

Hackleback
10-21-2008, 11:08 PM
Any thoughts on a Unique or Trail Boss load??

BTW, this mould is the easiest casting Lee mould that I have.

Springfield
10-22-2008, 12:39 AM
I'd like to see some pics of the boolits if you guys could. Maybe I'm too picky but I can't get all the bullet bases to fillout out completely. Nothing that affects anything, I suppose, just not real sharp. Maybe 'cause I use a real soft alloy with very little tin for BP, probably doesn't help any.

94Doug
10-22-2008, 12:51 AM
with my lead made up of Wheel Weights with a dab of tin, I found they worked suprisingly well, when I first looked at the mould, I would have never thought that they would even fall out of there.

Doug

larry h
10-23-2008, 08:44 PM
Springfield - You're exactly correct about the rounded bases. I'm picky too. Using wheel weights no tin. I tried lower temps and higher temps with no help. I cleand the mould and sprue plate(3) times didn't help. Smoked the mould and heated up the sprue plate still didn't help with getting continuious square/flat bases. I got about 120 good boolits out of about 200the rest went back in the pot w/rounded bases. This is the hardest mould I've worked with. They are great little boolits. Just my two cents. I'll ask the wife to help post some pics of the boolit. R/Larry

Springfield
10-23-2008, 10:14 PM
Larry: I found that opening up the sprue plate holes helped some. I have done this to some of my other LEE moulds also. I personally think the block is just a bit too large for a bullet of this weight, makes it difficult to keep the block hot without overheating the bullet. I have never cast 32's or anything this small from an aluminum block. My 32 auto mould is a 2 cavity steel.

crabo
10-24-2008, 08:58 AM
A 90 degree countersink works perfect for opening up sprue holes to get great fillout on bases. I bought a carbide one from Enco or MSC. Very easy to keep the sprue plate looking and working great. I've done this on a bunch of different molds from Lee to Saeco to home made sprue plates.

Lloyd Smale
10-24-2008, 06:36 PM
i casted a pile out of #2 and the mold casted great. No base problem

crabo
10-24-2008, 09:55 PM
Lloyd, let us know when you shoot some and what you shot them in.

Springfield
10-25-2008, 12:30 AM
#2 has a bit more tin than I usually use. No big deal, I am just going to use them in my pocket pistols anyway. I CAN get them to come out perfect, it just takes extra diligence watching the temp of the mould.

Lloyd Smale
10-25-2008, 07:07 AM
I havent shot any but my buddy Al shot some that i casted up. To be honest i didnt hold much store in that bullet shooting. It has such a small bottom driving band and deap lube grove that i thought it would colapse when shot. Thats why i casted it hard out of #2. Al said it shot real well out of his 38 carbine. Under 2 inches at 50 yards anyway. He tried it in one of his smith 15s and it didnt do so hot. but then thats one load in one gun. I think the trick to this bullet is going to be casting hard and using low pressure.
Lloyd, let us know when you shoot some and what you shot them in.

Springfield
12-22-2008, 11:49 AM
In an effort to make it easier to cast I had one of the moulds modified to a larger base. Didn't really make much difference, but now I have a light 9mm/Makarov bullet. Wasn't that hard to do, just had a machinist cut the base holes deeper.