PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Digital Lead Casting Thermometer

leeshall
02-03-2019, 04:38 PM
Anybody use one of these? Worth getting? Got a better suggestion? I want to make sure I don't accidentally melt a stray zinc wheelweight into the pot.

The Dar
02-03-2019, 05:43 PM
I have one. I've heard both good and bad reviews on the thermometer. I must have gotten a good one, I have no problems with mine and it's accurate. I haven't used mine for smelting, only for casting.

baileyboy
02-03-2019, 05:48 PM
Lyman products have slipped a lot. The ones from NOE are bullet proof and last forever.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=563_22&osCsid=igfp1rhsd4uv92b93n7g7eug31

mehavey
02-03-2019, 06:58 PM
I use the standard Lyman/Stay-in-Pot/Dial probe for casting (also would serving in gross melting/cleanup of range lead/WW, etc)
I also have the Lyman Digital probe, but really/mostly use it for calibrating the Dial Temps.

Both work fine -- but I'd get/use the Dials first . . . for keeping continuous Tabs on Temp while casting

RED BEAR
02-03-2019, 07:08 PM
I heard bad things about lyman .bought rcbs

JBinMN
02-03-2019, 09:43 PM
Just bought one last Fall, but won't be casting & trying it for a month or so , as I cast outside here in MN & the weather doesn't cooperate well thru the Winter, as far as I am concerned.

I have not yet set up to cast in the garage, so I will have to wait to respond with my own experiences, but I am interested in what others say, so I posted anyway.

I am hoping it will work fine, but I have cast without a thermometer before, and did just fine, so It may not matter. I just thought using it might help some times.

Looking forward to more info from others experiences...

leeshall
02-03-2019, 11:41 PM
I've spent so much time hand sorting these wheelweights I just don't want to take a chance of melting a zinc weight into the batch. That's why I want to MAKE SURE the temp doesn't get so hot I can't scoop out an errant zinc weight. Most of the zinc I've found are marked Zn BUT a few aren't marked and look very much like a lead weight. I need a reliable thermometer device that is consistent, accurate, and reliable.

ABJ
02-04-2019, 10:11 AM
I have one and like it. I also have two mag 25's and the PID and the Lyman digital are within 5 degrees of each other. The closest I could find on the net was over $150. so the Lyman at $40. best I can remember was a good deal. Had it for over a year and still doing good.
Tony

SGM5091
02-12-2019, 01:49 PM
I have one that I got last fall. Didn't work right out of the box. Called Lyman Customer Service, explained the problem, and 2 days later received a new one which worked great. Tried the probe from the new with the electronics from the first and found that the probe from the first was defective. A quick look on e-bay got me a new probe for a few bucks, so now I've got 2 that work great. Love Lyman' s Customer Service.

KenT7021
02-12-2019, 10:22 PM
I had the same experience as SGM5091.They do work well.The probes can be repaired if one wanted too.The assembler attached the wires to the wrong pins on the plug.I've never had any problems with Lyman's customer service though I've seldom had to use it.
You can hear a lot of bad things on the internet.Some is just someone repeating something someone else posted.Anything goes on the internet except for criticizing Lee products.