PDA

View Full Version : M1 Garand in WWL

GARD72977
02-03-2019, 08:49 AM
Watching Mysterys at the Museum epoaide about Mata Hari. They show troops in a trench with M1 Garand. Then a few minutes in her execution they use the M1 Garand.

Makes you wonder what else these shows get wrong.

rl69
02-03-2019, 10:38 AM
Too much

RU shooter
02-03-2019, 01:42 PM
The story that show tells are usually pretty correct within the half hour time limit ,But I agree their video they make for the show is full of inaccuracies in their use of props and equipment. In another episode I saw US ww1 doughboys firing #4 lee enfields. I guess they just whatever propguns they can find

GOPHER SLAYER
02-03-2019, 03:37 PM
With that show, you never know what kind of weapon or uniform might show up. I watched one episode about some of our black troops in France during WWI. They were being used as cargo loaders. The French said, if you won't use them as fighting men, we will equip them and use them as fighting men. Our Army agreed and then it showed the black men in the trenches firing flint lock muzzle loaders. In one show I saw someone aiming a little boy's toy rifle, and he was supposedly aiming at a lion. I watched one show about the Navy in WWII and the officer was wearing a uniform from the mid 1800s. I do give them credit though for at least getting the stories right. You can learn a lot watching the show if you can over look the props. They never get those right and I don't think they care.

Winger Ed.
02-03-2019, 05:23 PM
I think a lot of stories and videos get written/produced by someone who isn't a historian, but in trying to put it all together,
they dig around and find pictures to add to it, and end up with some that 'look like they'll fit'.

baileyboy
02-03-2019, 05:26 PM
The story that show tells are usually pretty correct within the half hour time limit ,But I agree their video they make for the show is full of inaccuracies in their use of props and equipment. In another episode I saw US ww1 doughboys firing #4 lee enfields. I guess they just whatever propguns they can find

Not Mk 4s but the 77 NY was under British command, carried Smellies, Vickers and Webleys in WW I.

baileyboy
02-03-2019, 05:29 PM
A good one on Amazon Prime is "April 9th" about the one day war between Denmark and Germany. All the weapons are correct. One of my treasures is a M96 sniper "lent" to the Danish resistance to kill Germans. Brass stock plate was replaced with a silver Danish Kroner.

MTtimberline
02-06-2019, 04:11 PM
In another episode I saw US ww1 doughboys firing #4 lee enfields. I guess they just whatever propguns they can find

I saw this one as well. My wife didn’t know what I was talking abou5 when it was pointed out. I just had to laugh about it.

higgins
02-06-2019, 05:54 PM
The most tiring to me is "documentary" makers, who should know better, constantly showing actual footage with the bolt on the left side of the rifle, or something else in an image reversed. I'm not talking about an image of some experimental left-handed rifles; I'm talking about troops in the field with their general issue rifle. You would think these programs would be screened by someone who would notice such obvious errors.

Unrelated to rifles, but on the home shows I have often seen water flowing upstream, smoke coming down into a fire in a fireplace, flames going downward in a gas fireplace, wind blowing from the end of a flat toward the flagpole, and waves moving upwind. As they say, common knowledge isn't so common anymore.

woodbutcher
02-08-2019, 03:03 PM
:shock: I remember a movie that I saw many years ago.IIRC,the title was"Battle of Brittan".Cliff Robertson starred IIRC.They had The British flying 109`s,and the Germans flying Spitfires.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Kraschenbirn
02-08-2019, 09:00 PM
How many movies have we seen where North American T-6s were decked out in Luftwaffe or JNAF markings...or a Bf-108 'Taifun' (trainer) was passed off as a Bf-109 fighter?

Bill

Hardcast416taylor
02-12-2019, 12:49 PM
How about the aerial dog fights where the pilot never runs out of ammunition? I actually cringed last week watching this woman in Ak bear hunting in the under growth of a rain forest in coastal Ak. She was carrying her bolt action rifle slung over her shoulder with the bolt open! The shows producer must have wanted no accidental firings.Robert

DocSavage
02-12-2019, 10:56 PM
There was a series on the History Channel on WW 2 with various view points of the Allies and the Axis,I distinctly remember a German soldier with a left handed K 98.

Reverend Al
02-13-2019, 05:32 PM
One of last nights episodes was about a messenger dog in WWI and one of the soldiers in his squad was carrying an M1 Garand. As you say, they must have a limited number of prop guns available and use them as need with no regard to the models being correct for the time period.