PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 1894CST

ChuckJaxFL
02-02-2019, 10:53 PM
I just picked one of these up to play with. I "took the plunge" and ordered it online, so I didn't have a chance to hold one before purchasing it.

I took it to the range for the first time today, but didn't do any "serious" shooting. I shot it at 25 yards and consumed a bunch odds & ends ammo. After having looked it over & shot it just a little, here are some thoughts & comments.

Overall, it seems like a great purchase. I watched every Marlin complaint video and read every thread I could find. The vast majority of the complaining points do not seem to be a problem with my copy. The front sight is perfectly timed with the rear. The rear sight seems well-centered on its little base, and required no adjustment to center groups. At least not at 25 yards. If I need to tweak it further out, it won't be by much.

Movement of the action lacks any of the grit I've heard others complain about. I know that these have a reputation of "smoothing up" over time. If mine never gets any smoother than it is today, I'll be okay with that. It feels fine.

Same for the trigger. It's unnecessarily heavy, as most every gun is these days. But, the take up is really minimal, and the break is really clean. Not just ok, but really, really good. I may pursue lightening it, but I don't feel the need for anything else and I consider myself somewhat of a "good trigger" snob. I like Geissle triggers in ARs, and my 1911 was built by a guild member.

The lever feels fine on my fingers. I read some complaints about the edges being sharp. Mine feels perfect. I won't smooth it or wrap it.

I've read some complaints about the hammer spur being roughly finished, sharp, and needing stoning on the edges to prevent cutting your thumb. Again, my example is perfect. It looks sharp & square, but feels absolutely fine on my thumb. That said, I went ahead and installed the spur extension since they include it, and I'm sure to scope this thing one day anyways.

The foreend is perfectly fitted, with no wiggle and the wood/metal fit is symmetric all the way around the metal. The barrel channel is fitted closely to the barrel. I don't see any way to make it better.

The stock fit is imperfect. The tang/stock interface has a gap you can see through. And, there's a gap at the rear of the tang where the screw hole is. I doubt this will ever be a "real" problem, but it's not the fit you expect from a rifle at this price point. Also the scallops at the top are asymmetrical. One is clearly higher than the other. !?! How? Again... not a functional issue but c'mon.

The top of the receiver is the only thing that really worries me. I'm worthless with iron sights, so I'm certain to wind up with a scope on this thing soon. The geometry of the top plain of the receiver doesn't appear to be correct. I'll post pictures to help explain my concern.

Function was perfect. It feeds any shape bullet. It even fed fully flush-seated wadcutters. They're a pain in the butt to get into the magazine, and you can only have one in the mag tube. If you load two, it will try to feed them both and lock up the gun. But you can load them one in the mag and one in the chamber. It cycles them perfectly! I wasn't expecting that. Of course, after that, I wasn't surprised to see it feed 158rf's, 358156, 358249, MP's 359640's... it feeds everything.

I'll reserve comments on accuracy because, as I said, I was just eager to shoot it a little. I'll do proper load workups with the molds I have and let you know how it goes. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

ChuckJaxFL
02-02-2019, 10:56 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190203/0a7af7b9a49fb07f39e7fe03c90a8d7b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChuckJaxFL
02-02-2019, 10:57 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190203/2ed8b10c92dddf5b39281c9429da61fc.jpg

You can see here where the screw holes appear to line up with the 12 o'clock on the barrel, but the top plane of the receiver doesn't match on both sides of the screw holes. It's really apparent at the front, where the curved edge seems off to the left. I'm hoping that it's not so far off that I can't zero a scope.

Texas by God
02-03-2019, 01:46 AM
How about the whole gun pic? The only way to see if there's a problem is to try mounting the scope.

ATCDoktor
02-03-2019, 02:48 AM
I bought mine last summer and it’s been an extremely good shooter

I haven’t fired any magnum rounds out of it as it predominantly is used as a suppressor host.

Castboolits from 158 thru 200 grains feed and function perfect irrespective of bullet shape and it’s quite accurate with my handloads.

https://i.postimg.cc/gjBgLhBq/954-E93-F7-E00-C-4-E6-B-8244-E7-CAD832-CA19.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

JSnover
02-03-2019, 05:34 AM
Worry more about the alignment of the holes with the barrel. Assuming Marlin approached it that way, you're probably ok but it's hard to say from the photo.

dakotashooter2
02-03-2019, 01:33 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190203/2ed8b10c92dddf5b39281c9429da61fc.jpg

You can see here where the screw holes appear to line up with the 12 o'clock on the barrel, but the top plane of the receiver doesn't match on both sides of the screw holes. It's really apparent at the front, where the curved edge seems off to the left. I'm hoping that it's not so far off that I can't zero a scope.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIs the top plain out of line or appear that way because of unevenly rounded edges?

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6820 using Tapatalk

JSnover
02-03-2019, 02:08 PM
Is the top plain out of line or appear that way because of unevenly rounded edges?

It does look a little off. Almost like the top of the receiver isn't square with the sides.

ChuckJaxFL
02-03-2019, 02:22 PM
Is the top plain out of line or appear that way because of unevenly rounded edges?

I think this is the case. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190203/775a244da3468fa2740c5b2eaaa56d8a.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190203/7eed472e1723f3cc70a17456e5e248f2.jpg

ChuckJaxFL
02-03-2019, 02:51 PM
Encouraging. I shot 5 groups today. MP359640 with Lil’Gun, 15.0-17.0 in 0.5 grain increments, at an honest 50 yards.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190203/0198eb335581e6767dd5f29dd790057c.jpg

Ignore the round in the notes, that’s stray from one of the ‘less successful’ groups.

That’s as good as I can do with irons, with any gun. Especially this huge ghost ring rear.

beemer
02-03-2019, 02:53 PM
I don't mind a little gap at the back of the tang, it keeps the tang from becoming a wedge and splitting the stock. I am more concerned when the front of the stock doesn't fit the receiver.

tazman
02-03-2019, 02:57 PM
With today's scopes, if the alignment is only a little off, it shouldn't present a problem after getting a scope sighted in. I doubt you are planning 300-500 yard shots with it and long range is really the only place that presents a significant problem.
Should it happen that the scope doesn't have enough adjustment to allow a good sight in, you can have the sides of the mounts ground so it will work.
I did that very thing once years ago with a Winchester model 70 rifle I owned. Even with full horizontal adjustment, the bullet impact point was just barely inside the scope and nowhere near the cross hairs.
Explained the problem to a local gunsmith. He worked on the bases and it worked perfectly. The rifle kept alignment good enough to hunt deer out to 300 yards, no problem.

northmn
02-03-2019, 05:50 PM
Until you shoot it you don't know. I have an old waffle top 35R that was D&T after market and it nearly maxed out the scope adjustment, but it is still on a few year and 4 deer later.

Marlin had some growing pains when they changed sites. Also some hold the old JM's were some kind of jewels that have passed on with the change of manufacturing sites. Lately there has been more than one satisfied customer from Marlin and I am seeing new offerings now. Personally I would not hesitate to buy one, but I would like to look it over. No JM can match todays machining if they pay attention to details.

DEP

ChuckJaxFL
02-24-2019, 06:41 PM
Update time: I put a 1.25x4 Leupold on it using a DNZ GameReaper mount. It mounted with no issues whatsoever. The geometry must be fairly good. In the first round of working loads up, I don't think I dialed in more than 8 clicks of windage. Pics to follow shortly.

I'm impressed! I've always been somewhat skeptical of claims of 2 moa lever guns. This was 16.0gr LilGun, 158gr XTP, CCI550 primer.

ChuckJaxFL
02-24-2019, 06:44 PM
236761https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190224/8e3f8fca30809576c69035fb957e77c8.jpg

It also seems to like 180gr XTP and 14.5gr LilGun

sghart3578
02-24-2019, 10:12 PM
Outstanding! That's a beautiful rifle and those are great results.

I have a new 2018 1894C that is just as accurate as my JM 1894CS.

I am in the process of scoping the new one and when it dries out I will see what it will do.

Keep up the good work.

Steve in N CA