PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle lock box

WheelgunConvert
02-01-2019, 09:20 PM
I’ve been looking around for a good lockbox for under the back seat of my truck and found something that is well made and affordable. The mfg is pioneersteelusa.com and I got the small size welder case, secured it with a cable around the seat bracket and attached to the combination lock on the box hasp. UPS shipping was $20ish from CA to LA.
My need is to prevent an easy smash and grab.

Overall, significantly larger and beefier than the nano vault and similar products.

I have no interest in the vendor or product.

Bevan

Mal Paso
02-01-2019, 10:00 PM
Good resource! Thanks for posting!

megasupermagnum
02-01-2019, 10:03 PM
I had a nanovault until the combo lock failed and locked me out. I figured the safe was more just to stop the idiots, but wow, they are chincy. A screwdriver and 3 seconds is all it takes to open one. The next one I got was a pull out drawer style, I'm not even sure what brand it was. It was even weaker. If you pried up on it, you could open the drawer by hand, no screwdriver required. Looking at that picture, I don't think it would by any big thing to bend the cover open on that box, and maybe slow someone down 10 seconds. I could be wrong, but 18 gauge is not that thick.

WheelgunConvert
02-02-2019, 12:33 AM
Or, don’t.
When padlocked and cabled, I would expect it to be about as tough as a real 50 cal ammo can but without a seal.
It’s my attempt at preventing a coin snatching vandal from escalating to a murderous felon.

All a lock does is it helps keep an honest person honest. YMMV

popper
02-02-2019, 11:42 AM
Interesting, I was looking at the Hornady auto boxes, they all state NO loaded guns in the box. Guess the lawyers are at it again.

modified5
02-02-2019, 01:47 PM
I am considering some type of safe box in my 82 suburban. I would probably either weld angle iron to the sides and weld it to the floor or bolt it. I’m thinking a front open style with a key.
I haven’t decided whether to put a firearm in there, or because I always have one on me, just extra ammo for what I carry. If I got stranded for an extended time in the boonies, what I carry would suffice to take down a deer within 20 yards pretty easily.