PDA

View Full Version : First Time EVER!

Echo
02-01-2019, 07:39 PM
I bought a Lymn 3118 2-banger on eBay, and received it Wednesday. Thursday I decided to check it out, the weather was nice so I could do my casting on the patio, so I did. Plugged the SAECO in, came back in a while. the mold /handles (the way I bought it) still on top of the furnace, put on my gloves, got my sprue-knocker in my right hand, and started casting. Hmmm. The front cavity boolit had wings! Cast a few more, and often got more wings. Hmmm Held the mold up & checked - and if I squeezed the handles tight, there was just a trace of light showing between the blocks. If I didn't really squeeze, the gap was bigger. Hmmm.
I dismounted the off-block, the one with holes for the locator pins, and got out my old reamer - gave it a few swipes, remounted, and no change. Did this a couple times, and still no joy - I wasn't taking off hardly any material - Hmmm.
I dismounted both blocks - and they fit together perfectly! No light showing through! The problem was in the handles! I rounded up another set of handles, Perfectamundo! I cast about a hundred pills and stopped for the day.
I have NEVER before found handles to be out of registry like this. A new experience...

tazman
02-01-2019, 08:08 PM
I have seen this happen when I tried to use single cavity handles on a double cavity mold.

Mal Paso
02-01-2019, 10:12 PM
"It's always something"Roseanne Roseannadanna

rking22
02-02-2019, 12:12 AM
I bought a set of Lyman handles one time, 5$! Found out why, they held the mold cocked open just like yours. Few strokes with a file to clear the offending area of one handle"leg" and all was good. Suspect yours need the same.

marek313
02-15-2019, 12:42 PM
I only saw that once when I was using Lee handles on Lyman (if I remember correctly) mold. Redrilled holes with slightly larger ones and that fixed the issue. Yes its always something but as long as its something simple to fix I dont mind. Thats how i learn new things every day.

rcslotcar
02-15-2019, 12:53 PM
Now I have reason to check one of my used,new to me .45 acp molds that never cast perfect. Thanks for posting OP.

mdi
02-15-2019, 03:00 PM
What part did you ream?