PDA

View Full Version : Think I am done with my local gun shop.

Tackleberry41
01-31-2019, 09:51 AM
When I first moved here, it was the old man running the place. Nice guy, order anything you wanted for 10% over cost. Always eager to trade, fair deals. Very honest.

Well his son has taken over. Yea he did stuff that needed done, more guns, more storage. But the deals are gone, and he does not seem to have any issues selling you a screwed up gun.

I have passed up deals at places like Bass pro or online, give the business to my local shop so they stay open. Also sell gas, one of few places around here who sells mid grade for my hemi truck. But prices have been rising, trade values way down. I know they need to keep the doors open, pay bills, but jacked up prices on unsold inventory does not pay bills.

A black hawk convertible in the case, been there a while, but is missing the 45colt cylinder and he wants $500 for it. I do not remember paying much more for a new one from his dad. Or a pistol I traded and best he could do was $550, in the case for $850, or the price of a new one.

Was in yesterday, customer was back, with his jam-o-matic AR he bought there. Used in 300AAC, jammed with factory ammo. Was a trip back to the factory, came back, no change. I recommended different ammo, pistol gas system 16in barrel. Works...better. Now learns the bolt is messed up, some notch the rim catches on, won't eject most of the time. Owner showed him a bolt the customer could order that 'should' fix it. Or the Walther 22 he sold someone along with a brick of target ammo that won't cycle, happy to sell him ammo that 'might' work better. And then he took in a FN FAL trade, been wanting one a long time, not seen any for sale. Maybe he knew, maybe he didn't, its not a rifle but a parts kit. Only needs a new barrel whats the big deal? Plus cost of putting it in. His answer when I said something, not accusing just pointing it out, was 'sorry'. Would imagine he made a few bucks, low ball trade offer, full price in the rack. Well hope he enjoys the money, be last from me.

I have spent alot of money in that place in the last several years, alot. Stock up on ammo, he carries powder and primers, gas, sodas, and guns. Bought 5 guns since Thanksgiving. If that's the way its gonna be, just another chump to stick it to. Then I can buy ammo cheaper on the internet, other places to buy reloading supplies. Other gun shops and places to buy gas.

JoeJames
01-31-2019, 10:13 AM
There was a new gun shop near me. A little out of the way, but I tried it out. Seemed to just cater to the fancy duck hunting trade, even though it was up in the hills: super expensive duck hunting clothing and gear. Also tried to just cater to younger shooters. They were not a bit friendly - shoot I might as well have been in one of those fancy "hiking" type stores in Little Rock. Went back by once after that. It shut down last year; just too fancy for most folks, I reckon.

MrWolf
01-31-2019, 10:32 AM
I finally found one where the folks seem to really care. Told them I would rather order from them then online as long as they were in the same ballpark. Came back with a very reasonable cost. Win-Win. They do know their business. Hope they stick around a long time.

dragon813gt
01-31-2019, 10:41 AM
If you aren’t happy w/ the service then move along. Not being rude it’s just as simple as that. I find the gun shop experience to be one of the worse when it comes to retail sales. Shop owners and employees are usually only interested in a few things and couldn’t care less if you like something else. They do not promote the gun community, which in itself is a joke because it’s anything but a community, in a positive way. There at good stores out there. But they are few and far between.

Three44s
01-31-2019, 11:00 AM
Our best gun shop and gunsmith shut down after a long run. The owner and Smith was a little different at first and made me very upset right at first, say back in the early eighties.

I stayed away for a very long time and when I went back he remembered me and we got a long famously after that. He was a very good gunsmith and that is hard to find and just out the Guard, I think he had to hone his people skills.

As he neared retirement he tried to sell his business in it’s entirety but it just did not happen so he sold off his inventory, closed his doors and moved to his new home him and his built in Montana. The building sold eventually.

He was also a 10% guy but they were slow as molasses on placing orders. I tried and retried ordering through them but if it was on the shelf, you were were golden. He would sell me grips to try with the understanding that if I did not thrash the packaging I could return it.

The biggest problem with a business like that is how to balance your time?

How do you get your gun fixin’ and buildin’ done and service the public as they stream in?

I tell you how the good ones do such as the above gunsmith ...... they burn a lot of midnight oil to get the serious stuff done. That’s a lot of personal sacrifice that the public misses.

We have an up and coming younger gunsmith in another shop that has a lot of trade and that Smith is an employee and they keep him ensconced away from the counter, hopefully he stays happy and satisfied.

His father comes and shoots on our ranch from time to time and when the dad approached me I informed he would be most welcome as son was a very good gunsmith and I was “buttering” him (the father) because of that ...... Lol. You have to keep the good guys close don’t you?

Three44s

OS OK
01-31-2019, 11:09 AM
If I were you, I'd tell this kid what you just posted.
That'll give you some peace of mind and might help to save a gun shop from closing...who knows? A word to the wise should be sufficient...right?

The same thing has happened to our local shop...the owner is currently passing it down to the thick brained son...they even moved into a new store with more room, that's a good choice.
But the Dad and I are friends and I don't get along with the son at all until recently...seems that the son has changed his attitude.
The Dad and I had a little talk about 5 months ago before the shop moved...seems that the Dad had a little talk with the thick head and it seems to be working well so far...the Dad is still there in the background so that may have some bearing on the kid.

I would prefer to support my local Maw & Paw shops of all varieties since I don't shop online...even though it cost a little more.
On line your a number and in town your a familiar face, I prefer the latter.

Shawlerbrook
01-31-2019, 11:31 AM
Unfortunately around here small, local gun shops are far and few between. Many businesses have been ruined when a child takes over for a parent.

popper
01-31-2019, 11:46 AM
Many businesses have been ruined when a child takes over for a parent 2-3 generations is the national average for any family business. Kids usually spoiled and just want the $ without working for it.

bob208
01-31-2019, 02:52 PM
we get a new shop around here. it does not last long they cater to the at crowd. if you don't want rails and grips on everything they are lost.

Tackleberry41
01-31-2019, 02:54 PM
I asked around, its a small town, everybody knows everybody. The shop has been in business since 1971. The son has lost a whole pile of long time customers. There used to be people drive several hours to come to the shop, not anymore. Law enforcement came from several counties, but since same deals as locally why drive here?

Its not just a guns, half is groceries, they make sandwiches, sell gas. And the old man catered to the local farmers, who were willing to pay the extra on diesel for the credit accounts, you know wait for the harvest, pay the bills. First thing son did was end that, yet same price on fuel. So they went else where.

The prices have been steadily creeping up, as trade value went down. I am not one of those customers who comes in, haggles for an hour trying to squeeze a holster, mags, etc out of you while driving the price down. If its a fair price I will pay it, no extras. I was in before Christmas, looking for my sons first gun. Had a brand new Mossberg 410 pump gun in the rack. Wait, why is it beat up? End of the barrel blueing beat off it, side of the receiver can see the aluminum in spots. Some kids had knocked over the rack, banged it up. But he still expected full retail price. He could have took the required loss, made me a deal, got rid of it. Nope full price, yea good luck with that. And its still in the rack. Guess waiting for that right chump to come along.

As for having a talk with him, yea about as pointless as explaining physics to my dog. Know the type. The phrase I heard more than once was 'a preacher and a snake'. I doubt he felt a moments remorse about screwing me on that rifle. Bet he cleared $300 easy on it. Basically what it cost me to get a barrel. Had he been the honest man he claims, one might expect 'well let me help with that'. Something to soften the blow at least better than 'sorry'. Yea well, considering how much I spend in that place, it will quickly be him thats sorry. Usually first of the month I get paid, I go drop easy $100 on ammo, powder, or start drooling over another gun. Its where I have been exclusively putting gas in my truck. How much gas do you think I put in a hemi 2500 4x4 truck in a month? Or even the sodas and beef jerky I walk out with just about every day with.

I bought a heritage 22 for Christmas, a Walther P1, RIA 22 automag, and FAL out of there in the last 60 days, plus a good $300 in ammo. That's over $2000. And had been looking at several other things. Tomorrow is payday, and would have filled my truck, some ammo, brick of primers. Other places to buy gas, ammo is everywhere on the internet. I was also the guy he asked about crazy old guns or odd ball reloading stuff. Guess he can just ask someone else.

Winger Ed.
01-31-2019, 02:56 PM
Many businesses have been ruined when a child takes over for a parent.
The failure rate when the next generation takes over is real high in any family owned business.
The kids usually know their industry, but lack the ability or were never taught how to operate a business
and manage customer relations or money.

Having a rack full of guns for sale, and being a good gunsmith is great.
But it doesn't mean the shop will be profitable any more than buying a airplane makes you a pilot.

fiberoptik
01-31-2019, 03:08 PM
People skills can be learned, but stupid is permanent!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

salpal48
01-31-2019, 03:12 PM
LGS"s will be a Thing of the past soon. too much overhead , No profit and a great deal of time . mostly for no profit. yes profit. most want to make a profit . not just cover expenses . but profit. . no one can compete with Big store that really Don't purchase the Items. most like Cabellas , bass pro , dicks only pay when they sell something . everything In the store is factory supplied. just like Home depot , Lowes , shoprite . they debit the mauufacture when Its sold. the guy who goes at it alone . is dead in the water before he opens the doors. this goes for guns to. When it's sold they pay. It is called Fulfillment Or open reciept I worked in This business foe Years .
everything You buy in a Large store from TV to Clothing to shoes are supplied by the manufacturer. Deducted from inventory when sold and paid.
the small guy sinks Thousands in the business and Is stuck with it when it does not move.
You will find out too late That this Is how it's done. Yes even all new firearms . if they don't sell They Go back to the manufacturer no one in Those store own anything

RogerDat
01-31-2019, 03:39 PM
I think a lot of time the small businesses or even larger ones are a dream or passion of the founder. Next generation may share that or may not. I know multi generation machinists, best place to have a trailer built or repaired around here is run by two grandsons of the founder. They are proud of repairing trailers their grandfather built.

I think a whole lot of kids don't really bother to learn or are not taught to run the business. Parent may want them to work there but don't have them doing the books or ordering or other "management" stuff. Have seen it with some farms in the area. They end up leased to other farmers when management falls to the kids because the kid just doesn't know all the business ins and outs. They may be able to work the farm but not manage it.

I do a mix of online and local. I prefer local but not willing to take a beating on price if the cost is more than modest. I don't care about 50 cents on a 5 dollar item difference or even the extra $1.99 on a Lee Mold but an extra $50 above online price on a powder or primer order including shipping can push me to buy that online. Leaving local shop to get the odd pound of powder or replacement for a single 1k box of primers. I still drive 45 minutes to a shop because they have a good selection of powder, decent prices, and good staff. That shop is being run by the kids. I didn't do enough business when it was the fathers shop so can't say if better or worse but not bad now.

Gray Fox
01-31-2019, 03:58 PM
My brother just had an experience with a local GS. He bought one of those European .22 autos that patterns itself after the Walther. He took it to the range and it literally looked like he fired a round of buckshot at 25 yards, with several good brands of ammo. He wen back to the shop and the guy told him that "Yeah, they had a lot of problems with the barrels in those first generation guns." The gun was new in box and "all sales are final". I suggested he call the US importer, which he did, and they sent him a paid FedEx label. They called him yesterday to tell him it was on the way back with a new barrel and to let them know if he had further problems. It would be nice to think they would have words with that dealer. GF

Tackleberry41
01-31-2019, 03:59 PM
Its just greed and dishonesty. If his old man could run the place 30 years, offer such great deals, and still make a profit. Pretty sure the son can to. No he just figures gouging is the way to go, even more profits. Or so the theory goes. Yea you make more on fewer sales, but risk running off good customers.

It was like the 22 sellers during the panic, they would stake out Wal Mart buy every round, then double the price. Only problem was, nobody was buying. Could have charged triple, but 3x0=0. Now if they had gone reasonable, could have moved the ammo, and still made money, vs the gas of hauling it from gun show to gun show hoping chumps would buy.

So if you got a gun you gave $250 on trade, than jack it up to $500 or $30 less than a new one. And it sits, and sits, and sits, where is the profit? Or make a quick $100 actually selling it at $350, free up the shelf space for something else. Who here is gonna pay near retail for a black hawk that only shoots 45 ACP? He offered it to me at $450 recently, been on the shelf for a year already. It aint gonna sell at that price.

cwlongshot
01-31-2019, 04:11 PM
With immaturity comes short sited ness... With maturity comes poor eyesite. :)

Either take the time to talk to him. (Likely a waste of air) or find another shop.

We here in the NE are lucky as we are gun shop rich. A new shop opened up last year and they are going GANG BUSTERS, why? Because the appreciate there customers and the owners are 50 ish years old.

CW

rockrat
01-31-2019, 05:48 PM
You can get 45 colt cylinders now and then over on the Ruger forum. Its the 45 acp cylinders that are harder to find.

Me, I would offer him $400 out the door. You could settle for $400 and a box of ammo if you wished or split the sales tax and make it $380 + tax.

I would shoot more 45acp than colt

Scorpion8
01-31-2019, 05:56 PM
.. if you don't want rails and grips on everything they are lost.

There's way too much of that, but it's the way of things today. I spend more time at the used rifle rack than the new because the guns were built with quality. One LGS only sells 10/22's in the rimfire category because "that's all anybody wants". What about a nice 552/572? Or Marlin 60? Give a guy some options.

Tackleberry41
01-31-2019, 06:02 PM
You can get 45 colt cylinders now and then over on the Ruger forum. Its the 45 acp cylinders that are harder to find.

Me, I would offer him $400 out the door. You could settle for $400 and a box of ammo if you wished or split the sales tax and make it $380 + tax.

I would shoot more 45acp than colt

I already have a convertible, both cylinders, slightly longer barrel. I do sort of like the acp more than the colt. And any new gun money was spent to fix the last gun bought there.

jonp
01-31-2019, 07:47 PM
Sounds like Hills in Raleigh, NC. Was there for decades. Kid took over. Last time I went in the prices were ok but nothing to get excited about. The thing was that all the kid wanted to talk about was shooting 1,000yrd head shots with an AR an impressing me with his mad sniper skills. That dweeb couldn't hit a football stadium with a rocket launcher. They are now out of business.
Place in town had guns but the service sucked. Very rude and condescending. I went in and looked at an AR for the wife. The person behind the counter put in on the counter and I picked it up, gave it a once over and set it back down. She grabbed it and put it back on the rack before asking me if I wanted it. Nope, I'll go elsewhere. Went in to get some new powder and was talking to the guy behind the counter. Another guy felt the need to chime in "get a reloading manual". No kidding, I got several you ******". Out of business also.

megasupermagnum
01-31-2019, 09:04 PM
We have a local gun store very similar, but instead of getting taken over by a the next generation, the store lost a fight with the city. They used to be great, gas station, sporting goods, plus a liquor store next door, car wash, the works. It was like a mini Fleet Farm. Years ago something happened, and the liquor store ended up moving down the road to the Cenex, which is now 4X the size it was, and expanding into a farm store. The gun store is now just as you describe. Stocked full of all kinds of guns, but all over priced, and wont deal. The guns are over priced, but the ammo is what is really sickening. 2-4x cost of the surrounding areas. I went in there one day asking about 327 federal ammo. Guy said they didn't have any, not much interest. I looked and found a full shelf of Federal 32H&R 20 round boxes, marked $36. You can buy this stuff $20 a box anywhere else, and cheaper online. 45 acp ball ammo was $30 a box. My favorite was the 41 magnum. 20 rounds, $46 dollars. These are the same guys who were charging $36 a dozen for sucker minnows back when you could get them. Thanks to our states AIS laws, I can't even find large suckers anywhere within 50 miles now anyway without buying "decoys", so a moot point now.

At some point it goes beyond gouging, and into insanity. It was easy for me, I went 5 miles down the road to a store that often beats online prices. All you can do is watch the idiots crash and burn.

dakotashooter2
01-31-2019, 10:08 PM
When I worked retail our boss preached volume sales. Keep the prices reasonable and move product. I still believe in that but sometimes it's hard to follow. I've also heard it cost at least twice as much to recruit new customers as it does to hold old ones. I am not an AR enthusiast. don't own one and could care less but for many shops ARs and accessories have taken over 1/2 their shops. And they have eliminated things I am interested in. Same at gun shows.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6820 using Tapatalk

nun2kute
01-31-2019, 11:24 PM
Sounds to me like you talking about "Pawn Shops" :|

country gent
01-31-2019, 11:50 PM
The LGS I did business with for 30 years was recently sold. ( owner died wife retired) they did keep on some of the staff and the owners Son. Ive only been in a few times since more so because I stopped driving than other reasons. Seems to be staying close to what it was but I don't think the "changes" are over yet. The original Family and I were good friends. hey were very big on training and keeping the sales force up on trainings. I half expect some of this to stop with the new owners do to costs and time involved.

john.k
02-01-2019, 12:22 AM
But why would you bother selling guns.........I just been to the battery traders.........two old guys sell a semi truck load of batteries a week from an old house and a shipping container......not rubbish,middlin brand s .....you say what you want,they place the batteries on a handtruck,you pay by card,and wheel the batteries out to your pickup....They beat all the big truck parts shops by up to $50 a battery.,and still make money...I reckon that beats any gunshop........who is gonna shoot the breeze for hours over a battery.before they buy it.

jonp
02-01-2019, 05:02 AM
But why would you bother selling guns.........I just been to the battery traders.........two old guys sell a semi truck load of batteries a week from an old house and a shipping container......not rubbish,middlin brand s .....you say what you want,they place the batteries on a handtruck,you pay by card,and wheel the batteries out to your pickup....They beat all the big truck parts shops by up to $50 a battery.,and still make money...I reckon that beats any gunshop........who is gonna shoot the breeze for hours over a battery.before they buy it.

I've never seen anyone doing that here. I wonder if there is any money in it.

Tackleberry41
02-01-2019, 07:57 AM
Guess what it comes down to is, as he loses more customers, he simply has to gouge the rest a little harder. Which will drive away more customers, so gouges a little more....

The old man kept that place packed, were always people in there buying guns. And they stocked alot of odd ammo, for the locals. Few places carry 16ga like they do. Or would even have a box of 7.62 nagant on the shelf. Order anything you wanted. Not some overly opinionated guy like many shops.

Just felt pretty burned on my last purchase, he had test fired it, ran great he said. Just impossible to actually hit anything with it. I asked, no the guy who traded it in took the first offer and left. Shop got burned, so just pass the buck. I have spent thousands in that place in the last couple years. Bought 2 CZ75, 2 black hawk, several surplus bolt action rifles, $1000 kel tech RBD, 2 of the Sub2000. 2 357 mag, RIA 22 mag, Rossi 92, several Rossi single shots. HK33, my shield, my body guard. Couple glocks. Piles of ammunition. Pretty much every month I had something on lay away.

Would think I would be the last customer a shop would stiff to make a buck. Not stiffing me yesterday means I spend more tomorrow. Now he will ask, why have I not been in to spend more money? Like your supposed to ask for seconds or something.

TheGrimReaper
02-01-2019, 02:05 PM
My brother just had an experience with a local GS. He bought one of those European .22 autos that patterns itself after the Walther. He took it to the range and it literally looked like he fired a round of buckshot at 25 yards, with several good brands of ammo. He wen back to the shop and the guy told him that "Yeah, they had a lot of problems with the barrels in those first generation guns." The gun was new in box and "all sales are final". I suggested he call the US importer, which he did, and they sent him a paid FedEx label. They called him yesterday to tell him it was on the way back with a new barrel and to let them know if he had further problems. It would be nice to think they would have words with that dealer. GF

They want. The FFL is the go between the manufacture and the customer. The warranty and repair is between those two.

LUBEDUDE
02-01-2019, 02:16 PM
There once was a Gunshop 140 miles from me that I loved going to. It was literally in the middle of nowhere. I was a salesman on the road, so it was convenient for me. His place was always flowing with customers, didn’t matter what time of day it was. They came from all around, great distances too.

His policy was simple; guns for $20 over cost, in stock or order. Same with used guns. Accessories were were priced fair as well.

His philosophy was: “you can only skin a man once, but you can shear him forever.” I got to know him pretty well, he made a very good living. Too bad he lost it in a divorce.

RogerDat
02-01-2019, 02:22 PM
We did have many years ago a gun shop owned by a collector and gunsmith. When he died the shop closed. Don't know the details. I think it is hard to make a go of it as a small shop. Having a proprietor with an established relationship to the clientele might be enough to tip the balance sheet to profits. Losing that personal connection even if the new management is solid the shop might struggle to remain profitable.

I think anyone new to a position and duties might make a mistake. Mistakes such as those mentioned by people here. Mistakes in pricing, trade in values, or knowledge. Heck the idea of making the buyer have to hand you back the merchandise is well known strategy for closing a sale. Snatching it back off the counter to put back is just stupid, never mind rude. Google Monkey Trap. We don't like to let go of that which we want and have in our hands.

I can't fault a fellow too much for saying some variation of be sure to get a manual. It is almost first response to most reloading questions involving loads around here. Salesman would have been smart to have ascertained how long you had been reloading. Or point out where the manuals are and suggest you might find something good there that you don't have and would find useful. I don't know if the person was trying to get an "add-on" sale or just being a know-it-all, the first I'm pretty sure needs to be handled different than it was described.

I think a change of ownership for business that has the owner front and center is almost like a new business, many fail in that first year. Some survive.

gpidaho
02-01-2019, 02:48 PM
Many businesses have been ruined when a child takes over for a parent 2-3 generations is the national average for any family business. Kids usually spoiled and just want the $ without working for it. It's not limited to the gun business. There are three things we have a lot of here in S.W. Idaho. desert, great farm ground and home construction. Although we have many miles of open desert that would make good building lots but many grandsons can't wait to sell grandpa's farm and make themselves wealthy. To heck with the next generation. All comes down to the quick buck without the work, guns or land. Gp

snowwolfe
02-01-2019, 04:03 PM
His business..............he can run it the way he wants
Your money...............you are free to spend it anywhere you like
It is capitalism at its finest.

It is unfortunate some business owners do not know the meaning of service. I will gladly pay extra at a local gun, hardware, auto dealer, etc if the service is superior.

But there are customers who want to pay less than the owner did with great service on top of it. There are just as many bad customers as there are owners.

Tackleberry41
02-01-2019, 07:38 PM
I at one time was considering buying the place from the old man, so yea got a decent idea of the place. He made plenty of money, some come for the guns, others its tractor fuel, others a daily sandwich. Nearest anything else is 20 min drive. Old school guy, no using computers for him, still did well. Was not that uncommon to meet someone who had driven 5 hrs from Memphis for a deal. It was turn key, here you go. So was no building client base, or clients followed a salesman.

Oh I know there are customers you want to punch in the face. Dealt with them enough working on their cars. Guy I know, he would argue with you an hour. Yea you want $500, but offers $450, then wants a $25 holster, and then a couple mags, maybe a box of ammo. Just grind you down, your always going to end up on the down side. The guy you stick it to as who cares if they come back.

Thats not me, Im the customer shops like. If the price is fair, I will pay it. Never once asked for extras to sweeten the deal. I thought about it, 18 handguns, and 18 rifles I can remember I have taken out of that place. Answered a pile of questions, even a few favors. Does not include the gas, sodas, and ammo, stuff my son wanted. And very likely today I would have given them another $100 for half a tank of gas, couple boxes of ammo. Probably started lay away on yet another gun. So really the guy they want coming back, and the last guy you gouge to make a couple bucks.

Instead, place next to the gym sells the same gas. And ammo is cheaper on the internet. Place closer to Nashville has way more reloading stuff. Just sad, seen it over and over 'buy local, support your local business'. But loyalty is a one way street anymore. They expect your loyalty, but your just another sheep to fleece. So fine, internet it is.

Winger Ed.
02-01-2019, 07:52 PM
. Just sad, seen it over and over 'buy local, support your local business'.
I'm that way. I buy American made if at all possible. I don't mind paying a few cents more to not walk 1/2 a mile at the big box store.
It always depressing to see a local business that wants to fight you for the privilege of buying from them,
but there's no joy in seeing them close and disappear.

Lloyd Smale
02-02-2019, 09:11 AM
just wish we had one. the only one within 50 miles closed last summer. Only choice is to drive a 100 mile round trip or go to the local car repairman who has an ffl and he will order a gun for you. doesn't help much though when you run out of powder or primers.

RogerDat
02-04-2019, 02:47 PM
just wish we had one. the only one within 50 miles closed last summer. Only choice is to drive a 100 mile round trip or go to the local car repairman who has an ffl and he will order a gun for you. doesn't help much though when you run out of powder or primers.

At least 45 minute drive each way to closest good source of components. Full assortment of powders, primers, at least some presses and accessories. I picked up a NIB old style MEC primer feed there.

A few odds and ends at one LGS I always check when there but other than musket and C&B primers hasn't been a whole lot. Has powder mostly when he knows someone who is getting out and has some they want to sell. No real "reloading" section other than some used stuff he takes in.

One shop within 20 miles has some (6-8) popular powders including a few 8# jugs and modest selection of primers. A small bit of equipment but they will order stuff. Friend bought his Lee progressive for 9mm and at least his powder through them. Another shop about the same distance has the same with possibly less powder. Shelf appears to be 3 @ 1# of six to ten powders. There is some brass and used dies however. Only open on weekdays so hard for me to ever get to that one.

So nothing close that really handles reloading in any major way but I can get powder, primers, and the occasional gizmo at a couple of places. Other than that it is gun shows or internet. I do make it a point to purchase ~ $75 to $100 worth of powder at the shop 45 minutes away. Gas is like shipping, need to make it worth while. If there for gunsmith then even a pound of some "great" powder suggested here might follow me home. Both Reddot and BE fell in that category. Bought first pound there to try.

truckjohn
02-04-2019, 03:23 PM
It runs both ways.

I have been mad as fire dealing with some of the "old guys" who owned the shops and thought everything in the place was made of gold..... I always wondered how they stayed in business because I can't remember them selling anything.... (I later found out that at least one had moved down from Up North after retiring from some sort of non-sales Corporate career... He was a collector and had no interest either customers or in selling..) Then they got too old (or died) and had to finally sell the place - New owner brings the prices back in line, clears out all the old junk that never sold that was laying about everywhere, and turns them back into a profitable business...

I think the reality is that some people are very good at owning a business and selling. Some don't - they do other things well. For example - there is a very good reason most mechanic shops don't let the customer talk to the mechanics - they are too crotchety or have terrible "bedside manner" - but they are geniuses at fixing stuff.... The world needs all sorts.

It sounds like "The Son" needs to sell the place and move on to something he likes doing and can make money at. Hopefully, he smartens up and sells the place before it goes under.

merlin101
02-04-2019, 03:24 PM
The old man probably had the place paid off along with other stuff so could keep his overhead low, the kid is paying a loan to his dad plus keeping stock and most likely a home mortgage too. I'd be surprised if he didn't raise prices, as to the service well that's on him.

JSnover
02-04-2019, 03:38 PM
I've had my fill of local gun shops. I used to shop them religiously, support your local businesses, neighbors, etc. but I just can't take getting jerked around anymore. There are four locations within a few hours of me that put on decent gun shows, anything I can't buy online I can pick up at a show.

ThomR
02-04-2019, 05:58 PM
Children taking over a business for their parents after they retire or pass away is often times not good.
The owner of the company I worked for in Illinois right before I moved passed away maybe nine months ago. Since his passing his children have made a bunch of stupid decisions that has caused them to terminate two out of the seven line operators on each shift.
Apparently now one of the children of the now deceased owner has been in the plant demanding to know the value of every piece of equipment there, and photos to accompany said equipment.

Winger Ed.
02-04-2019, 06:06 PM
It runs both ways. mechanic shops don't let the customer talk to the mechanics - they are too crotchety or have terrible "bedside manner" - but they are geniuses at fixing stuff.... The world needs all sorts. .

Reminds me of a old mechanic shop I used to deliver to. I went in one day and there was a woman in there madder than a wet hen.
Mad at the mechanic and wanted him fired right now..... or she was never coming back.....
The old fella that owned the place told her, "If I lose you, I may lose 1, 2,3, maybe 4 customers. If I fire Henry, I lose all of them".

RogerDat
02-07-2019, 09:40 AM
Winger Ed tag line sort of sums up children taking over a shop or business.

Everyone can learn from their mistakes. However; it's less painful, and cheaper to learn from the mistakes of others. Some have, and some have to make their own mistakes. As Will Rogers is supposed to have said. Some need to take a leak on the electric fence their own self to figure out what happens.

Seen it go both ways. Same as when a new business starts. Some make it some don't. Some changes customers welcome, some they don't.

LGS with a strong inclination to buy yours low (really low) and sell his rather high with an owner that is cranky if you give him any grief at all gave me a good deal on a shotgun slug barrel. The price tag was about $25 more than I really wanted to spend but a used rifled slug barrel wasn't too common to find available and new was really spendy so.. I had been back check on it being available twice, think I bought a couple of packs of musket caps one of those times. He takes it to the cash register and says how about $100 out the door. Knocking the $25 off plus 6% sales tax. I guess stopping in even if all I ever purchase are a little of this or that. Old military ammo, reloading gizmo, component, etc. and have an interest in his more unusual items makes me a "customer" I know other customers that come in while I'm there either great him like a neighbor or like he is a Walmart greeter in his own shop. The later I think might have a less than wonderful "shopping experience". He has grandkids in the shop helping him, we shall see. Heart by-pass, bad hip and back so sometime he will have to quit. Hopefully not until he wants to and the grandkid has learned. If the young fellow hasn't then he will. Or won't. He is also working with a middle aged gunsmith so someone can take some of that load and will know the prices and services.

There is a lot of truth to failing to plan is planning to fail. Have seen both. Some rests with the parent, some the child and sometimes circumstances. Imagine getting into running an LGS during the late panic. Then things settle down, you priced incoming high so it just sits, or you didn't price it high enough to cover your rising costs to restock. Maybe you saw profit in merchandise such as reloading that experienced a boom that has dropped way off leaving you with a bunch of shelves of expensive capital as inventory collecting dust. As I said in an earlier post I do business with a gun shop owner that sells reloading equipment at local gun show has replaced a large display of dies taking up most of a table with collectable air rifles. He can't "make table" from the markup on the dies he manages to sell these days, was a time customers would be 2 or 3 deep there. BUT he knows what will sell and at a decent profit. He also always has some exotics facing the main isle. People stop to check out a broom handle mauser or walker colt or Luger etc. Then look at the rifle racks where they might just buy. The man uses experience built up over years to adapt, that takes time, and ability to learn. Children have had less time to learn and it can be a coin toss as to how well they have used that learning time.