PDA

View Full Version : Propane burner suggestions

dmit
01-30-2019, 11:06 PM
I am looking for an inexpensive propane burner option to melt scrap lead. I can build the pot stand but could use advise for a propane burner ( possibly with some adjustability for flame but not mandatory ) . Trying to keep it as low cost as possible. Thanks everyone.

C-dubb
01-31-2019, 09:33 AM
I picked up a turkey fryer on sale and made my pot out of an old LP barbeque tank. Cost about $30 total.

blackthorn
01-31-2019, 04:54 PM
You can set your pot on three or four cement blocks, leaving a hole up the center. Next, get a ninety-degree, two inch metal pipe elbow and a tiger torch. Block the elbow under the pot and run the torch in the other end. A cut-down propane tank makes a great melting pot for reclaiming scrap lead.

Idz
01-31-2019, 05:12 PM
Lowest cost burner that I found was the Harbor Freight weed burner torch. Mine was about $15 on sale a few years ago. With up to 500,000 BTU/Hr it has the highest heat output also.

Conditor22
01-31-2019, 05:37 PM
Check craigslist and garage sales. for cheap. You don't need a kazillion BTU's to smelt with, people do it on camp stoves.

crandall crank
01-31-2019, 05:41 PM
Turkey fryer with stand $40 from bass pro (on sale). I then made the pot from an old propane tank, had the propane company remove the valve assembly...free

gwpercle
01-31-2019, 05:43 PM
Haunt estate sales , crawfish boiling and turkey frying rigs are usually in every garage , $5.00 to $10.00 will get you the burner, stand and a pot or two . Save the pots ... you just might want to fry a turkey or have a crawfish boil .

I just noticed you in CA....maybe there won't be any boiling or frying rigs where you live... CA got crawfish ?

webfoot10
01-31-2019, 08:20 PM
Check out Northern Hydraulics website. The have a propane stove on sale for $27.99.
I have the same one that I melt my lead with. The idem number is 330973. They
have a lot of things that many here would use.
webfoot10

dmit
01-31-2019, 10:15 PM
Checked the Northern Hydraulic site but no luck. I did look at Harbor Freight and there weed burner is $19.99 . Thanks for the elbow idea. I have some time and will keep a loo out for a turkey fryer also. Thanks everyone for your help and advise.

GregLaROCHE
02-01-2019, 12:19 PM
I have an ancient cast iron burner. Three rings with a valve for each one. To get it to heat to max, I had work on the regulator to get more pressure /volume. I was wondering if anyone else has done the same to get more out of their burners.

Idz
02-01-2019, 12:38 PM
The Harbor Freight burner has no extra regulator. It can output 500,000 BTU/Hr because it connects directly to the bottle so it's 'regulated' at the propane vapor pressure of about 100 psi.

lightman
02-01-2019, 12:50 PM
I built my burner. Its a "Jet" burner and works on the same principal as those weed burners. It will melt 350-400# of most lead in 20 minutes or so. The only drawback is that its noisy!

WHITETAIL
02-01-2019, 12:54 PM
I have been using a turkey fryer from bass pro
for 10 years +.
The stand is strong enough to hold a deep Dutch
oven full of lead.
No problem!!!
The pot is from Harbor freight.:cbpour:

webfoot10
02-02-2019, 07:14 PM
Checked the Northern Hydraulic site but no luck. I did look at Harbor Freight and there weed burner is $19.99 . Thanks for the elbow idea. I have some time and will keep a loo out for a turkey fryer also. Thanks everyone for your help and advise.
Just go to food service + processing , Single burner propane stove. Mine works great
but I only use a two qt. cast iron pot. as I'm not sure how much the cast iron legs on
the stove will hold. So far no problem.
webfoot10

Bazoo
02-02-2019, 07:28 PM
Cheap.... Keep your eyes peeled for a junk BBQ grill setting out by the garbage. Lots of times they got an accessory burner on the side. Might could find one on Craigslist or Facebook yard sale page free too.

redhawk0
02-02-2019, 07:34 PM
I got a 500,000 BTU burner on a stand off Evil-bay for about $40. It works great with my 20lb converted propane tank for a pot.

redhawk

dmit
02-04-2019, 06:19 PM
Just got a deep fryer burner . It has a large stand and it throws a pretty good flame. Can't find any indication on the hose regulator of its output. I think it will work well. Next is finding a pot. What is a good flux material? I have seen You Tube vid's where people use sawdust and or candle wax. I used to get beeswax for free many years ago but I would imagine it is expensive these days. Thanks everyone for your help.

Beeks
02-04-2019, 07:28 PM
Bass Pro Shops has a 6.5 quart aluminum fish fryer on sale for $29.97, 58,000 BTU burner. May give it a try.

Cherokee
02-05-2019, 10:06 AM
I've heard too many stories of aluminum pots suddenly letting go and spilling hot lead everywhere. I use cast iron, so don't know first hand.

lightman
02-05-2019, 10:50 AM
Just got a deep fryer burner . It has a large stand and it throws a pretty good flame. Can't find any indication on the hose regulator of its output. I think it will work well. Next is finding a pot. What is a good flux material? I have seen You Tube vid's where people use sawdust and or candle wax. I used to get beeswax for free many years ago but I would imagine it is expensive these days. Thanks everyone for your help.

A cut off propane tank makes a nice smelting pot. You will need to remove the valve and wash it out before cutting into it. Many guys even fill it with water and let it sit for a few days. A large cast iron Dutch Oven also works well. Cast iron needs to have the temperature applied gradually and care should be taken to not bang on it when its hot.

Many of us use pine sawdust or chips for flux followed by some type of wax. Paraffin, crayons, old candles or bees wax all work well. You can buy a bag of pine chips at Walmart in the pet section pretty cheap.

You will need a few other tools also. A couple of large kitchen spoons, both solid and slotted are good for skimming the junk off of your melt. Stay away from the ones that have the handles soldered on. You will also need a few ingot molds. A nice ladle and a nice skimmer will make your job of smelting much easier and faster. While a little pricy they will last a lifetime and I consider mine to be a good investment.